• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Gigabyte UD5 R5 FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
But after saving FSB change booting out of bios and back into bios the newly changed speeds are there? Right?

RGone...

No the newly changed speeds were not there. They still read 2000 MHz. That was the first thing I checked for although I was sure it wouldn't.

Is your NB and HT frequencies on Auto or in manual mode? or does it not change no matter what mode your in?

Is your NB and HT frequencies on Auto or in manual mode? or does it not change no matter what mode your in?

It only changes when I change it. It's not on auto. I'll put some screen shot when I get home. If I increase FSB and leave HT And NB alone, it goes up without me knowing. I see now that I have to do the math.

It only changes when I change it. It's not on auto. I'll put some screen shot when I get home. If I increase FSB and leave HT And NB alone, it goes up without me knowing. I see now that I have to do the math.

Okay now I know you have been over at OCN and around The Stilt because he told you the R5 was now back to full analog on the VRM and not digital. So I don't think you have gotten any odd ideas but you are losing me when you say that you change FSB and leave HT and NB alone, it (what?) goes up without me knowing. YES both of those 'change' EVERYTIME you change the FSB. It is not a matter of you not knowing but it might be a matter of you not knowing how much they have changed. But know this for sure; you change FSB you HAVE changed the HT Link Freq; the CPU Speed; the Ram speed and the CPU_NB speed. Always.

In post two of this thread I wrote that out that FSB changed the other speeds.

So are we at the point where you do not know how much a change in FSB will change the other buss speeds or are we needing to make sure you know that IF you change the FSB you HAVE most assuredly changed the other speeds? Which is it?

RGone...

Good, now when you increase the FSB you will have to lower the HT and NB speeds manually to stock or below stock speeds. Same deal with the RAM.

Okay now I know you have been over at OCN and around The Stilt because he told you the R5 was now back to full analog on the VRM and not digital. So I don't think you have gotten any odd ideas but you are losing me when you say that you change FSB and leave HT and NB alone, it (what?) goes up without me knowing. YES both of those 'change' EVERYTIME you change the FSB. It is not a matter of you not knowing but it might be a matter of you not knowing how much they have changed. But know this for sure; you change FSB you HAVE changed the HT Link Freq; the CPU Speed; the Ram speed and the CPU_NB speed. Always.

In post two of this thread I wrote that out that FSB changed the other speeds.

So are we at the point where you do not know how much a change in FSB will change the other buss speeds or are we needing to make sure you know that IF you change the FSB you HAVE most assuredly changed the other speeds? Which is it?

RGone...

I do know that FSB changes change other buss speeds. I could only see in my bios the cpu multi and ram multi change and could never see where the the HT and NB frequency would change. I do see it now but have to boot and go to cpu-z. I mentioned before that the missing link where I wasn't understanding is that it doesn't show up. I got the tip here to check cpu-z and sure enough it was there.

150616173801.jpg

Don't pay attention to the multipliers here. I didn't set them yet at the time I took this and didn't realize it.

@RGone I work electrical and instrumentation at the refinery thus the digital question. I for sure thought all motherboard when digital signals.

OT- Remember when we used to have to do our own math to OC? You know, with a calculator and everything?

TIP: this method still works. ;)

I do want to thank everyone for their help. And I do mean help. I get to play now but don't have the time in the evenings. Dinner time!

Edit: My other questions will be concerning the ram in conjunction with the FSB overclock. My bios only gives me 6.00, 8.00 and 9.33 multipliers so I'm thinking if I want to try some FSB speed my ram may be lower and maybe have to set timings. Dinner

Some/many of the newer boards but obviously not the R5 have added a multiplier in the bios greater than 9.33 so that you can choose higher than DDR3-1866 as your memory clock. If we don't have such higher setting, then we must push the FSB to clock the ram up in speed and 'modulate' the other busses and cpu speed to remain within acceptable limits of operation.

I normally run a 235FSB times 20.5 for about 4.81GHz and ram speed about DDR3-1940ish. Then because of how my CHV bios is setup, I don't choose a multiplier for the other speeds but set or choose the HT Link and CPU_NB that is within reason and off I go.

But most surely if I raise the FSB then I must adjust the other speeds to stay within usable limits. And yes I do sometimes run 236, 237, 238 and 239FSB depending on my juggling mind of the day. Mostly to clock the ram up when tinkering for the last bit of ooomph when I go into video edit mode. Cut as much time off the completion of render as possible. Up and down and around...for every little bit can help. But it takes give a little here and take a little there.

I can work within any bios but I much prefer the upper tier Asus bios for the pure pleasure in hopping in and making known/visible changes and hopping out of bios and on to winders. Just ole faht me though. Luck man.

RGone...

Wow.. nothing over 9.33?

That sucks. Giga isn't hitting the mark with AMD boards...
That's where the FSB really comes in. Just gotta keep playing with it and making notes on what FSB speeds work and what speed the other busses are running at for that FSB speed.

Believe it or not, 1800-1860 is the sweet spot. 6-8 CAS is hummin at that point.

Wow.. nothing over 9.33?

That sucks. Giga isn't hitting the mark with AMD boards...
That's where the FSB really comes in. Just gotta keep playing with it and making notes on what FSB speeds work and what speed the other busses are running at for that FSB speed.

Gigabyte for AMD never did. Two Christmas ago I put together an FX rig for a friend that helped me allot when we moved. I just needed something that would run it stock and ended up using a 990FXA UD3 rev4. There is a review I did with it. Although I was able to clock the 8150 to 4.7 or 4.8GHZ prime stable with it on just an H100 it did an OK job but the bios just wasn't there. I think I even mentioned it in the write up. With the exception of someone on a tight budget I wouldn't recommend a Gigabyte board and then only the UD3 rev 4 since it was one I had in hand. To each their own if someone is dead set on a Gigabyte so be it .......

Last edited:
I will check the highest RAM multiplier again when I get home this evening to make sure I didn't mis-quote.

If I go higher on FSB and have to settle for around 1600 ram, do I need to change the timings? Is there a standard format for this? I have changed timings a tic or 2 before to no avail.

If I go higher on FSB and have to settle for around 1600 ram, do I need to change the timings? Is there a standard format for this? I have changed timings a tic or 2 before to no avail.

I went to look at what you had for ram and realized it is surely time for you to go to Top of forum > Forum Actions > Edit Profile > My Settings > Edit Signature. You can use my signature as a template for what we need to know about your system. Signatures go with every post and that way we can have enough info to answer questions all along.

I can see no need of staying at Ram speed DDR3-1600 if you raise FSB. Heck I lower mulitpliers of the various busses and raise FSB and raise FSB until I wind up with "overclocked" ram not under-underclocked. Of course most of us that are doing real overclocking try and tighten ram on our boards anyway as tighter ram seems still good for AMD but it depends on type of ram and how it functions along with the IMC inside the cpu. Many variables for sure. But Ram tends to be the most likely; when playing with timings, to dork the operating system. When I do the play ram timings thing, I always have an image of the O/S before I start so if I dork the O/S, I can put the image back and no harm no foul. YMMV. And as far as I know there is no pattern to just trying to tighten the timings on ram when running it at lesser speed. The CPUz > SPD Tab has jedec timings for most ram at its' rated speed and lesser speeds, so you can see what you might tighten the ram to IF you somehow do not use enough FSB to raise ram back to its' spec'd speed.

RGone...

I went to look at what you had for ram and realized it is surely time for you to go to Top of forum > Forum Actions > Edit Profile > My Settings > Edit Signature. You can use my signature as a template for what we need to know about your system. Signatures go with every post and that way we can have enough info to answer questions all along.

I will set up my signature when I get home. I have seen 1600 settings in CPU-z. Forgot about that. My ram is g skill sniper 1866 9 10 9 28.

I have the FSB overclocking pretty much figured out from all the info I received here. Leaving HT and NB freq's on auto or at stock wouldn't boot. Putting them at 2000 as bassnut suggested let me boot and check CPU-z for my speeds since my gigabyte board doesn't show those changes in the bios. Now I have a number of speeds and their changes written down so I can oc w/FSB.

I may start a new thread to understand more about ram frequencies and timing in conjunction with a good OC. My cooling (H100i) hasn't been bad at all and I was hoping to run at 5GHz stable someday. If FSB OC'ing keeps me a bit cooler (from what I've read) then it will be a possibility. If not then I may put a copper coil in a dry ice bucket and connect it to my radiator hoses.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

If not then I may put a copper coil in a dry ice bucket and connect it to my radiator hoses.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Trying to be one of us rodeo clowns are you ?? Be careful going down that road, never know when you'll find the end. :muahaha:

rodeo clown.PNG

Back