• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking help - Gigabyte 970A-D3P + FX8320e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nemisis350z

Hi, guys. I've been trying to overclock my FX8320e to 4.2GHz (4.5Ghz if you guys tell me its possible). However, I've been experiencing some issues yet... I read the following threads already:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ck-FX-8320e-MOBO-Gigabyte-GA-970A-D3P-Rev-2-0

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ormance-Scaling-Charts-max-OCs)LN2-Results-co

But every time I turn the PC on, this message pops:

ECB0CD15-5C8C-4856-B715-34C2170E7649.jpg

I tried almost every combination for a stable OC, but nothing is working...

Two important details: If I ignore the message and just enter the BIOS and exit without saving, the processor works with the stock clock (3.2 GHz). Also, if I clear the CMOS and set OC config, the PC starts and works with 4.2GHz until I turn it off and on again. Then the BIOS boot failure appears again.

This is how I've been trying to overclock:

Frequency options:

5A6EC06D-ED7D-4EC9-B125-39343CACF06A.jpg

Voltage options (anything else is auto or stock):

CPU Vcore: 1.43125V

NB core: 1.18125V

Can you guys help me? I know I'm probably doing something wrong, but I don't see it.

Here is my set:
AMD FX-8320E - Gigabyte 970A-D3P Rev.2 - 4x8Gb HyperX @ DDR3-1600
2 x Gigabyte HD7970 CrossfireX
Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb Sata3 (Windows 10), Seagate ST2000DM001 - 2Tb, Seagate ST1000DM003 - 1Tb, Western Digital - 500Gb
Corsair H100i Watercooler
Corsair AX1500i Platinum PSU
Thermaltake Chaser A31

F8D1B8EC-AA65-48BA-A834-A6AA0A1E8623.jpg

I forgot something: The temps are good. I set my H100i always in performance mode and the FX8320e don't reach more than 30°C. My TMPIN1 stays around 45°C, 50°C tops.

One thing I would try is setting the core performance boost to the same speed as your overclock.
Did you move this up a bit at a time and test or did you just set the multiplier and voltage then cross your fingers
BTW welcome to OCF Nemisis

Hi Johan. Thanks for welcoming me.

Actually I watched some videos and read some stuff, like the FX topic in your sig. Then I started trying.

So the core performance boost has to be enable?

4.2ghz with the voltage you have on your 8320e doesnt make sense to me. i have the exact same processor with 1.21 volts at 4.19 ghz

try to rearrange your hdd same thing happened to me as well my hdd's weren't set properly swap the sata cables around on your main hdd

Just tried to set with the core performance boost enable and the same thing happened.

Looked at your settings pic quickly.
Turn off Core Unlocker. There are no cores to unlock.
On a Gig board, this confuses the bios on boot because it uses a different firmware to search for cores to unlock and it's not finding any. ;)

Last edited:
Try turning off the CBP? How are you overclocking fsb or multiplier

This motherboard only has 4+1 power phase. Not a good candidate for overclocking an 8 core FX CPU. Should run fine at stock speeds and voltages, however, as OP himself reports is he case.

Guys, thanks for the help, but I tried everything you said and same thing is happening... I'm stating to think that there's something wrong with my mobo or cpu...

id suggest to OC like 195 fsb and 20 multiplier with no added voltage

prime95 small ffs for 15 if it doesnt crash reset and take it from there

also how are your memory timings ? loose or you've tweaked them?

Nemisis, you need to get a motherboard with 8+2 power phase components to handle the extreme power demands of overclocking an 8 core FX CPU.

Yeah, it seems there's no other way... I'm running with 4.1Ghz now. It's the only stable set.

Do you think its gonna get better if I change my mobo for a ROG Crosshair V 990fx?

Also depends on how soon you plan on Zen upgrading. I personally would upgrade to the Asus 970 pro gaming/aura board at most. Thats not a terrible hit on the bank, but should help get the clock speeds up in the meantime.

Providing he can keep the temps down and cool off the vrm area :D

Back