• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Intel Core I7 4790k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vertigo5012

Registered
Ok, firstly doesn't the 4790k have a throttling feature to stop it from getting so hot it damages itself?

The first 4790k I bought, I somehow damaged it to the point of it no longer working. So this time I want to get more info before I get this one going. But before that, I should explain how i 'think' i damaged the first one.

Installed it, "cooler to small for cpu. found this out to late" during gaming for small amount of time my cpu held at around 65 ish. During benchmarks thou it would overheat fast. Hitting 100 degrees within a few minutes. So after trying a couple of benchmarks and shutting them down before any damage could happen to the processor. I decided to game for a while and watch the temps to see if it jumps. Well after a couple of hours of gaming my temps did a slow climb to 70, I figured that was good. Than my anti-virus kicked in, running in the background my temps skyrocketed. I shut the machine down and let it sit for a while, than going back and reapplying Thermal paste to ensure that there was enough and double check everything. Unfortunately thats where a medical problem damaged the MB, I have essential tremors and a spam while i was installing the cpu bent alot of pins on the motherboard. Making it useless, also some how the cpu overheated during its operation because when it went to install it, i found out it didnt work either. Took to a computer repair place in town i use every so often and thats when i found out about MB and Cpu.

OK, first question. Should i run the new chip at stock speeds for a set amount of time before i try overclocking?
Second question. Whats the best program for tracking cpu & gpu temps? something with a overlay so i can still see it during gaming?

There is no advantage to running a CPU at stock for a period of time before overclocking it. They don't have a "break in" period like automobile engines do.

Yes, modern CPUs do have thermal protection but it has it's limitations and is not fool proof. You can still fry them but it is true they will take a good amount of abuse. Make sure that in bios your thermal overload temp is set to a safe level.

Back