• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking issues and how hot can i go? 7800gt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AcidPlayer

Registered
Ok, I just got this card yesterday and started messing with benchmarking it and such on stock settings. its evga and comes stock 445 core and 1070 meme (n518 model) I then used coolbits to overclock it using the find optimized settings option. It stated that 505 core and 1190 mem was best optimization. i ran 3d05 and 3d03 futuremarks just fine. i hit over 8000 on 3d05 wich was what i was shooting for. so i upped it a bit and everything seemed fine all the way up to 520 core and 1220 mem wich i astablished as my high and slightly unstable overclock. so i decided to leave it at about 500 core and 1190 mem wich is stable after 24 hours of games and such. suddenly i cant test 3d05 without it hanging anywere from 10 seconds to a minute into testing. but every other year of 3d marks is fine...even 3d06 wich gives me 4026. I tested just fine 3d05 about five times before that. is it the program that is messing up or is it my overclock maybe? I have excellent air flow and inside my system reachs 20c at the max ive ever seen it. cpu stays at 35c and 45c full load. my 7800gt is 44c idle and up to 65c when running 3d marks. is that to high? thanks in advance...i really do appreciate it.

AcidMan :shrug:

Your temps are fine, those clocks are just very high. You have good drivers that allow you to clock that high and mess around a little, but they are very high for a 7800gt. Since your temps are good, the only way to keep those clocks stable would be to increase the voltage from 1.4v in 3d mode to 1.5v.

vixro said:
Your temps are fine, those clocks are just very high. You have good drivers that allow you to clock that high and mess around a little, but they are very high for a 7800gt. Since your temps are good, the only way to keep those clocks stable would be to increase the voltage from 1.4v in 3d mode to 1.5v.

I dont mean to sound ignorant..but i am lol. how do i up that setting to kick in when i go 3d mode? i'm off to tinker myself and try to figure it out. anyone with already said knowledge and to share it would awsome.

AcidMan :eh?:

It's in the bios of the video card. You need to use an nvidia bios editor to have it go to 1.5v instead of 1.4 when in 3dmode.

ok well now even on stock settings i crash. i formated the computer and re installed windows. and new drivers and far cry still crashes after a minute or two of playing. the first two days of having the card nothing bad happened. sigh. i told my wholesaler about the problem and he is ordering me a new one. gonna have to wait till tuesday to get it. in the mean time..anyone have any suggestions or imput? am i missing something?

AcidMan :bang head

nvidiaOCmaster said:
what kind on computer do you have and is it PCI E?

I built it myself:

Raidmax ATX tower with raidmax 420w psu. MSI K8n neo 4 Mobo. 1 gig (2x512mb) corsair ddr400. WD 200gb sata hd. pioneer dvd burner. eVGA 7800gt (n518). i have very good air flow and system temp is about 7c idle and 22c at the max ive ever seen it.

I just tried lowering my CPU clock. it was 228x11 and it has been like that for months. So i lowered the clock to 215x11 and played farcry without a problem. is it possible that all of a sudden my cpu clock is to high? temps never went over 53c at max load and 37c on idle on the cpu when overclocked that high. well i'm going to see if i can slightly overclock my 7800gt now that it played well underclocking my cpu. i'll post back in a bit if i had any success. i just dont know how suddenly after bein stable for 3 months my cpu was to high clocked.

AcidPlayer said:
I built it myself:

Raidmax ATX tower with raidmax 420w psu. MSI K8n neo 4 Mobo. 1 gig (2x512mb) corsair ddr400. WD 200gb sata hd. pioneer dvd burner. eVGA 7800gt (n518). i have very good air flow and system temp is about 7c idle and 22c at the max ive ever seen it.

I just tried lowering my CPU clock. it was 228x11 and it has been like that for months. So i lowered the clock to 215x11 and played farcry without a problem. is it possible that all of a sudden my cpu clock is to high? temps never went over 53c at max load and 37c on idle on the cpu when overclocked that high. well i'm going to see if i can slightly overclock my 7800gt now that it played well underclocking my cpu. i'll post back in a bit if i had any success. i just dont know how suddenly after bein stable for 3 months my cpu was to high clocked.

7C idle... do you live in a freezer...? Or are you using something other than "fan" cooling?

nice overclock on that evga... I play with mine as well a little only have it at 460Mhz and 1.1Ghz. But temps go to 70C at load already so dont think I can push it much... and I am using artic cooler :)

boris_37 said:
7C idle... do you live in a freezer...? Or are you using something other than "fan" cooling?

no not a freezer but I do have very excellent air flow in my case. if you seen it you would believe me. It does go over 20c in the case when at full loads though. and i believe keeping my overall system temp down is why i get such good overclocking on mainly stock cooling. i added a couple fans is all. all in all i have 6 fans just blowing air out of the case. and the case is very roomy.

Well thanks for all the help guys. you guys helped me narrow it down to the psu now. i underclocked it all and went from there. it was the cpu overclock taking that did it. it was fine overclocked with my x800gto overclocked as well. the x800gto i had didnt require a molex connector but this 7800gt does and the psu cant handle it all overclocked. so i'm off to get me a nice psu. any good suggestions? i got one suggestion already but i like imput from the masses. i'm looking for something that will run all stated above equipment and the addition of a second 7800gt in SLI in the future all overclocked with no problems. I'm willing to spend a hundred possibly but cheaper would be better. just most importantly it gets the job done.

AcidMan :p

its funny that you really think your system temps are 7C!

what is your room temp 5C? :)

Just so you know your system cannot be cooler then your room temp. Air cooling and water cooling do not cool below room temp even with 100 fans and heatsinks the size of a house :)

AcidPlayer said:
no not a freezer but I do have very excellent air flow in my case. if you seen it you would believe me. It does go over 20c in the case when at full loads though. and i believe keeping my overall system temp down is why i get such good overclocking on mainly stock cooling. i added a couple fans is all. all in all i have 6 fans just blowing air out of the case. and the case is very roomy.

Well thanks for all the help guys. you guys helped me narrow it down to the psu now. i underclocked it all and went from there. it was the cpu overclock taking that did it. it was fine overclocked with my x800gto overclocked as well. the x800gto i had didnt require a molex connector but this 7800gt does and the psu cant handle it all overclocked. so i'm off to get me a nice psu. any good suggestions? i got one suggestion already but i like imput from the masses. i'm looking for something that will run all stated above equipment and the addition of a second 7800gt in SLI in the future all overclocked with no problems. I'm willing to spend a hundred possibly but cheaper would be better. just most importantly it gets the job done.

AcidMan :p

agreed with the guy before me... thats why i said that.

You can only go slightly lower than your room temp for one reason, your fans don't COOL the air, they just blow it. Its like saying using fans in your house cool it down, not true, they just evaprorate the sweat on your skin making it feel like its blowing cold air.

Thats why with my xp-120 i will never hit temps below 22C realisticly because my room temperature is always 19-21C.

However if you had an air conditioner attached to every single fan then i could realisticly see what you're trying to say, but its like fighting fire with slightly less hot fire, just can't work from a phsyics point of view.

boris_37 said:

You can only go slightly lower than your room temp for one reason, your fans don't COOL the air, they just blow it. Its like saying using fans in your house cool it down, not true, they just evaprorate the sweat on your skin making it feel like its blowing cold air.

Thats why with my xp-120 i will never hit temps below 22C realisticly because my room temperature is always 19-21C.

However if you had an air conditioner attached to every single fan then i could realisticly see what you're trying to say, but its like fighting fire with slightly less hot fire, just can't work from a phsyics point of view.

I'm not sure how but really it has on alot of occasion dropped to 7c but lately its on idle at 11c-12c. and the air that flows outta all fans feels colder then my room temp. I'm not just saying this to be cool :eh?: .hehe ok lame joke. but seriously i dont know if my system temp guage is not right or what but by feel it is pretty cool. But i know you guys know more then me so i'm with ya. At the moment it is 12c..is that realistic?

AcidMan :shrug:

if your room temp was 2+ degrees cooler than what the current temp is then yes.

I already said it only feels cool because its evaporating the sweat on your skin, its not actually cold. I have a 90cfm fan on my xp120, had the side of my case off, but i don't expect to be lower than 20C in reality.

Also if you don't believe me look it up... your temp reading probably are wrong. I don't see from any logical standpoint how getting those temps are a possibility as fans don't cool the air, just move it from A to B. Thats why heatsinks only cool to room temp, which in many cases can still be amazing temps for fans.

boris_37 said:

You can only go slightly lower than your room temp for one reason, your fans don't COOL the air, they just blow it.
:bang head

sorry you can NOT go SLIGHTLY lower then room temp....

ITS IMPOSSIBLE!
very very simple physics. air at 20C temp moves over copper fins of heatsink... heatsink is 30C but since the air molecules move over the metal some of the energy stored in the metal is transferred over to the air molecules in turn heating up the air and cooling down the metal. Airflow moves the now warmer air molecules away from heatsink. If the air was 30C and the heatsink 20C the air would give its energy into the heatsink heating it up. :)
equilibrium is the key. Heat is energy... there is no such think as COLD... its the lack of energy.

Heat@ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamics

Last edited:
uh okay why are you quoting me you fool? i am telling him that he cant. sue me... try reading through more than one post and you would realize what im trying to say? thx buh bye?

**edit** also there is such a thing called cold, its the absense of heat. When people go into space there is no air, no sun=no heat= cold.

my temp in my room is 67F ..not quite ice cube cold :rolleyes:

I'm new to alot of this overclocking and tempurature stuff as i stated. i'm just relaying what my Ntune temp readings are. And yes it about always says 12c wich also is not quite ice cube cold. love the sarcasm though. i'm not arguing with anyone..if you say 12c is not possible in my case then i beleive ya. bad sensor i suppose :shrug: . But back to the real subject...my gpu (ya know, the 7800gt this topic used to be about). I overclocked it to 510 core and 1210 mem and after lowering my cpu clock becuase of lack of good psu, runs well and games are smooth as butter. the gpu temp hits 69c after long gaming periods...just got done playing far cry for an hour with settins maxed and the hdr patch...69c at max, is that ok?

AcidMan :)

yes its fine. dont go over 80C.

oh and your gpu will crash or you will see artifacts before damage.

and are you using an artic cooler? get one! it will drop your temps by 10C at least and its quieter

sound right mine hits 72 under load 523/1.36MHz These card usually run on the warm side

Back