• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking stock ASUS Essentio CG1330 project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EBuzz

Hi All,
I'm new here and despite what I've read on the web, I'm going to attempt to see how far I can overclock this store-bought rig.
It WAS stock a few weeks ago and I've already added a few things.
My 2 main reasons for this are:
1. I don't have the money right now to build a new rig.
2. I want the most framerates that I can squeeze out of FSX and I understand that the program is processor, as opposed to vid card, dependent. Faster the processor, higher the framerates.
I have a feeling that I might end up spending the same amount of money (or possibly more) trying this out as if I would have just bought a more capable motherboard/CPU combo. But, I do like a challenge, I like learning, and I generally root for the underdog (in this case, AMD, as opposed to Intel).
So far I have flashed the bios with a modified version that has unlocked the features of the retail version of the M4A78LT-M.
I made the mistake of upgrading the ram to 16 gb of PNY optima 1333, which I've read is not so good for overclocking, but oh well (for now).
I've also installed a Corsair H55 liquid cooler with dual fans in a push-pull config, front intake 120mm fan, 140mm side intake fan, and an old Cooler Master Aerogate II fan controller. Also, I swapped out the stock PSU with a 600w Thermaltake.
I have not tried to overclock yet, but will try pushing a little tonight.
I have downloaded things you guys have suggested: Prime95, CPU-Z, and Hardware Monitor.
I'll have to read some/learn about how to post the results of these tests.
Does anyone have any advice before I try?
Thank you for helping me with my first attempt at overclocking!
EBuzz

We need pictures of the bios screens where cpu voltage, cpu FSB/HT Reference clock can be manipulated as well as where ram speeds are changed. Without such pictures there is absolutely nothing we can do to help. WE have no modded bios to make OEM motherboard somewhat act like a real owner adjustable motherboard.
RGone...

One typical limiting factor on a mass-produced computer like that is poor case ventilation. The HP, Dell, Gateway, etc. don't waste a lot of money on case fans and they value "quiet" over cool. Even with the water cooling kit installed to remove heat from the CPU to the outside, you still have motherboard components heating up in the overclocking process and if you are not removing the warmed air fast enough temps will climb. Please describe the fan situation in the case: number, size, position of fans and whether or not they are push or pull fans.

Before you change any voltages or frequencies I suggest you do a 20 minute Prime95 blend stress test to check temps to see if you have any headroom for overclocking from a temp standpoint. We would like to know what "core" and "CPU" (socket) temps as well as motherboard temps are under full load like that so have HWMonitor open on the desktop during the Prime95 run and then post back with an attached pic of HWMonitor.

Hi All,
Thank you all for replying and your suggestions.
As soon as I learn how to post stuff from CPU-Z and HWMonitor I'll put them up for all to see.
As for the bios, it's an AMI version 0802. I have control over most overclocking functions except voltage - it will not alter from the "AUTO" setting.
As the CPU is a non-black edition, the multiplyer is locked at 13x.
I will try to post pictures of the overclocking bios screen.
As for cooling, trents, I hear you! The stock cooling was abysmal as best - only one 120mm chassis fan located in the back for exhaust. I put the radiator for the H55 in that spot with two 120mm fans in a push-pull config blowing to the outside even though the instruction manual suggested to have it pulling air in. I'm hoping that the new front intake (120mm, sucking air in) and side panel (140mm, sucking air in, positioned facing the motherboard and vid card) fans will help, as I understand about trying to keep the northbridge cool and I would consider installing a better northbridge cooler if you guys think it is warranted.
I did run prime95 blend with HWMonitor for 5 hours last night and the max temp on the cpu cores was about 28 degrees celsius. I don't remember what the other temps were though.
Thanks again for the help!

Here's how to attach pics using the built-in forum tool.

First crop and then save the pic to disc. Cropping is important if the image includes a lot of irrelevant surrounding desktop territory. In other words, we don’t want to see your whole desktop. That just shrinks down the important stuff we need to see so that it may not be legible. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this if you have Vista or later. If not, you can use the built-in Windows keyboard strokes or download a freeware cropper/capture tool. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics per post but you can go back later and add more if necessary.

Thanks for the quick tutorial trents.
I upped the FSB to 265 and ran prime95 for 3 hours and the core temps seemed OK but I was wondering about the temp I highlighted in yellow. This reading never changed. Also, fan 2 is curious as I don't have a 3rd fan attached as I only have 2 fan headers on the motherboard - any ideas? I left the computer running all weekend and played Crysis 3 and FSX for a few hours each, and while Crysis did great, FSX crashed once. Temps were OK.
I tried originally with the PNY 16gb of memory but wouldn't let me overclock the cpu past 3ghz, so I switched it out and put back the original ram in - apacer - and got it to 3.45ghz.
Any thoughts on why this may be happening and any suggestions on how to alter any of the memory settings/timings? I'd really like to keep working with the 16gb of memory rather than 8gb. If you think I might have to change out the ram, would you mind giving me some suggestions as to which kind and brand?
Again, thank you very much for any help and advice.
EBuzz

Attachments

• CPU Z 3445OC.JPG
    CPU Z 3445OC.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,378
  • CPUZ 3445OC Mem.JPG
    CPUZ 3445OC Mem.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,388
  • prime953hrand tempcomplete.JPG
    prime953hrand tempcomplete.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 1,395
A couple things EBuzz, we also need the spd tab from cpu-z to check ram timings.
I would disreguard the bits you have hilighted in yellow, but the TMPIN0 is at 55° this is your socket temp and I imagine it is 25° higher than the core for 2 reasons.
First the board probably has a very limited VRM (power) section and second the H55 you are using doesn't allow for much airflow in that area, which would be directly behind it if you have that mounted in the rear.
You still have some headroom but not a whole lot. Is there any way you could mount a small chipset fan in there. Even two sided tape stuck directly on the mosfet would help.

Yes, need that "SPD" tab pic from CPU-z. It will show the manufacturer's recommendations for memory timings and voltages so we can compare them to what you actually have punched in in bios.

As Johan said, a small 12v fan (50 mm, maybe) place in the VRM area would be a great idea. Using double-side adhesive strip material to attache it to nearby components may work for securing it and can be had at any hardware store for not much.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007998 600035574&IsNodeId=1&name=50mm

Last edited:
Hi Johan45 and trents,
Thanks for taking a look and your suggestions.
Here is a pic of the SPD tab in CPU-Z as requested. I also included a shot of the Mainboard tab, if that helps.
I think I have a small spare fan in one of my junk drawers. The NB has some kind of oddly-shapped heat sink which looks like it doesn't lend itself to sticking the fan on too easily. Would it be possible/a good idea to take that heat sink off, replace it with a flat heat sink and stick a fan on that? I'm assuming that I would need thermal compound between the NB and the heat sink.
Thank you all so much for these quick replies! The members of this site are awesome! :salute:
EBuzz

Attachments

• CPUZ 3445OC SPD.JPG
    CPUZ 3445OC SPD.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,361
  • CPUZ 3445 OC Mainboard.JPG
    CPUZ 3445 OC Mainboard.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,360
It's not the NB that needs cooling, it's the VRM area between the CPU socket and the I/0 ports on the back edge of the board. The VRM consists mainly of "mosfets" (flat, black rectangular chips), capacitors or "caps" and voltage coils or "chokes". More expensive motherboards ship with a heat sink already covering these components.

Attachments

• hot mobo.JPG
    hot mobo.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,593
trents,
Ah, I see (literally)! Thanks for posting the pic, it makes things much more clear for me. I'll work on getting a fan in there and re-run prime 95 and HWMonitor tonight.
Thanks again! :thup:
EBuzz

Also compared to your SPD tab you're running some pretty aggressive ram timings for the frequency. I think at the very least you should drop the ram speed by one in the bios.
EDIT: Are you using prime95 blend test when testing?

Johan45,
Thanks for the input!
That is something I'm not sure how to do... There are a lot of different setings in the bios to play with in memory, but I don't know what does what. I know it may be difficult to try to explain this to me without screenshots, but would you happen to know which timing settings I should alter first? I'll try to post some screenshots of the memory page in the bios tonight.
The prime95 tests I ran were blend.
EBuzz

Not sure what's in your bios but look for Dram freq. or divider or ratio and drop it back to the next speed. Your frequency is 1412 and for those timings you should be around 1200.

Informational lapses...

EBuzz you make it very hard for us to help you. In your post #7, we can "see" the Apacer ram running at DDR1413ish and the timings are very tight. How do I know? Because I have to go to post #10 to see an SPD screen shot of the CPUz SPD tab which describes the 'suggested' timings from the ram manufacturer.

It is prime policy to post an SPD Tab and a Memory Tab screenshot at the "same" time if you are asking anything about ram. Not a bad idea to include the CPUz CPU Tab also so the speed in question is also shown. WE are not at your monitor screen. We are not at your keyboard where we can call up the information we need to see.

EBuzz writes >> I know it may be difficult to try to explain this to me without screenshots, but would you happen to know which timing settings I should alter first?

Reply >> you said one giant mouthful there for sure. Not only is it difficult, but impossible.

I said above that the Apacer ram was already running tight timings. So no need whatsoever to adjust any timings for it.

We are bouncing around all over the place and doing a lot of wheel spinning and from a type and answer perspective, I doubt we are doing much. Certainly not in a logical progression anyway.

I can only say this without "good" pics of the modded bios you flashed to, there is very little we can suggest. The Apacer is running tight timings and slightly overclocked. The cpu you said was flawless at approximately 34xx Mhz, so in reality it is bordering on job done with information currently displayed.
RGone...

. The Apacer is running tight timings and slightly overclocked. The cpu you said was flawless at approximately 34xx Mhz, so in reality it is bordering on job done with information currently displayed.
RGone...

I think it's the ram that caused you crash in FSX. I I'm surprised your ram is running at that speed really. That's why I asked about the P95 test the blend test works the ram alot more that the FFT test's

The only memory timings you need be concerned with are the several that show up in the "Memory" tab of CPU-z plus maybe the Command Rate (CR) if it's not showing up in CPU-z. Leave the others on Auto. Command Rate will be either 1 or 2. Bigger numbers mean more relaxed timings.

RGone,
I completely understand your point and I apologize if I'm making this harder and more time-consuming than it should be. This is the first time I've really asked for help in any type of on-line forum, and I don't want to cause the people I'm asking for help any frustration. I'll try to do better in the future. :chair:
I'll post the bios memory settings screenshots before going any further with adjustments. Would there be any other type of pics/info that may be needed?

Johan45 and trents,
I guess then it would make sense that the PNY ram isn't faulty, and wouldn't let me overclock as high, if it's surprising that the Apcer ram is running at this speed. All things being equal, would it make sense to install 1600MHz ram for more stability? And if so (or not), any particular brands/models better suited for overclocking?
Thanks All!
EBuzz

The Thuban memory controller will generally do 1600 mhz comfortably so if you switched to 1600 mhz ram you would get some performance improvement. Not a huge boost but some and it would give you more flexibility in your overclocking since you could push the FSB further when you run out of multiplier.

Back