• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking The AMD FX 6300 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cornish Git

Registered
Hi all, totally new to this but feel inspired to give it ago by reading this post http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724462.
My Mobo only has the 4+1 power phase, so I know I will be a bit limited by this but I would just like some free power/fun. At present my gaming is old school RPG's which don't require the overclock, so anything I can get out of the new girl would be great as far as I'm concerned. I'll be using two monitors once she is up and running fully.
So, in short I want to OC my FX6300 and then if poss have a go at the RAM as well. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated :).

Thanks for reading.

:attn:

Update.
I have disabled the APM, C1E and the CPU fan Control but can't seem to find the AMD Turbo Core and Cool 'n' Quiet options in the BIOS, any ideas please?

Could have missed it but I don't remember but one user coming into this forum section with the Gigabyte ga 970a-d3 (Rev3.0) board and it was Pre Rev 3.0 version for sure. So we have no real idea of where CnQ or TurboCore are located for disabling. I would 'guess' they are in the CPU section perhaps and not the MIT section or whatever the overclocking area for the board is named.

Update.
I have disabled the APM, C1E and the CPU fan Control but can't seem to find the AMD Turbo Core and Cool 'n' Quiet options in the BIOS, any ideas please?

I don't think it's called cool and quiet any more.

C1E is voltage. this off will keep your cpu volts constant on manual.

Could have missed it but I don't remember but one user coming into this forum section with the Gigabyte ga 970a-d3 (Rev3.0) board and it was Pre Rev 3.0 version for sure. So we have no real idea of where CnQ or TurboCore are located for disabling. I would 'guess' they are in the CPU section perhaps and not the MIT section or whatever the overclocking area for the board is named.

Found CnQ in Advanced section, just being blind :)

Thanks for the replies. I'm got up to 4.0 seemed okay, just using multiplier at the mo. Tried for 4.2 but workers started going on strike, so have dropped to 4.1 to see what happens. From what I have been reading I will need to start increasing one of the volts to compensate, just not sure which one... any pointers please on which one and also how.
I'm using Prime 95 and CPUID software to stress and monitor my performance.

just been reading about it but not 100% sure which one I need to adjust or by how much. So could you take a look at the attached picture for me and advise.

IMAG0619.jpg

Thanks.

If its the one that I have selected this is what it shows, IMAG0620.jpg

Does this increase it by the amount over the normal vcore? Sorry for being a pain but this is some what confusing for me. :confused:

Thanks again.

Time for an update. Been increasing the multiplier and Vcore and I've got it stable @ 4.5 with 1.552 volts max and 61C max which I know is a little over the happy sweet spot but as this machine will not be running as hard as this very often and I will be making some changes to the case to allow more air flow, I think it should be okay. Please feel free to argue against this as I'm open to advice from all :). 3 hours on prime95 and still stable, which is nice, see attachments for the scores on the doors. All being well I will be playing with the RAM next, wish me luck :attn:.

Attachments

• 4.5 @ 180mins extra juice.PNG
    4.5 @ 180mins extra juice.PNG
    80.6 KB · Views: 390
Cornish Git,

It is likely that if you manipulate both the CPU multiplier and the CPU frequency you will be able to get by with less CPU voltage at that level of overclock.

It is likely that if you manipulate both the CPU multiplier and the CPU frequency you will be able to get by with less CPU voltage at that level of overclock.

Thanks for the reply Trents, liking the idea of reducing the volts but could you clarify some things for me please (And anyone else reading this :)). When you say CPU Frequency would that be the FSB, i.e. the 200MHz? Also does this effect the RAM speeds? If not do you have any pointers for the RAM? And finally would I then decrease the CPU multiplier and VCore?
Sorry for asking so many questions but I'm some what new to this, I built my old girl about 10 years ago and OC'ed it completely blind, knowing what I do now (which is still bugger all) I'm surprised it didn't have a fit, its running at over 60C on normal OPs :-/.

:attn: Cornish Git :attn:

Maybe...

When you say CPU Frequency would that be the FSB, i.e. the 200MHz? = Yes by 5's upward from 200 is what I generally test. Of course if you get close to a speed you want to TRY and reach, then by 1's.

Also does this effect the RAM speeds? = Yes it most certainly effects the RAM speed. Raise FSB/HT Ref Freq and you raise the RAM speed. NORMALLY I would think 205 to 210 FSB might not overclock the RAM too much. If so reduce initial RAM speed setting.

If not do you have any pointers for the RAM?

And finally would I then decrease the CPU multiplier and VCore? = It is a balancing act. You reduce the multiplier and sure you must increase the FSB to again reach the same cpu speed reached with raised multiplier only. How much you raise is the balancing act. Do the math. FSB times Cpu multiplier = Cpu Speed.

Will you surely be able to reduce cpu voltage...heck no. Maybe. Maybe not. You have to do the balancing act and see if there is a possiblity to reduce cpu voltage and STILL remain P95 Blend mode stable for at least 2 hours.

Absolutely amazing info Rgone, thank you :thup:. Will have to take time to read/understand everything you have told me and then of course try to implement it. Will be out for a bit but not slacking, :attn:

When you say CPU Frequency would that be the FSB, i.e. the 200MHz? = Yes by 5's upward from 200 is what I generally test. Of course if you get close to a speed you want to TRY and reach, then by 1's.

Also does this effect the RAM speeds? = Yes it most certainly effects the RAM speed. Raise FSB/HT Ref Freq and you raise the RAM speed. NORMALLY I would think 205 to 210 FSB might not overclock the RAM too much. If so reduce initial RAM speed setting.

If not do you have any pointers for the RAM?

And finally would I then decrease the CPU multiplier and VCore? = It is a balancing act. You reduce the multiplier and sure you must increase the FSB to again reach the same cpu speed reached with raised multiplier only. How much you raise is the balancing act. Do the math. FSB times Cpu multiplier = Cpu Speed.

Will you surely be able to reduce cpu voltage...heck no. Maybe. Maybe not. You have to do the balancing act and see if there is a possiblity to reduce cpu voltage and STILL remain P95 Blend mode stable for at least 2 hours.
^^^^ The Master at work!

Back