• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking The AMD FX 6300 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You are severely under utilizing your ram. From your pictures it looks like you are running ram rated for 2400 mhz at 1333 mhz. Now, your processor's integrated memory controller (IMC) will not allow you to run the ram at 24000 but it will easily run the ram at 1866.

If I were you I would:

1. lower the CPU multiplier to about 18x,

2. lower the CPU/NB Frequency multiplier to 8x (or 1600 mhz),

3. lower the HT Link Frequency to 10x (or 1600 mhz)

4. lower the set the Memory Clock to 1600 mhz and then . . .

5. start increasing the CPU Frequency in 10 mhz increments (stress testing as you go) until your Memory frequency has risen to the 1866 level. Make adjustments along the way if necessary to the HT Link and CPU/NB speed to keep them within stock limits.

6. Then make adjustments to the CPU multiplier to get it back to your current overclock speed.

7. Finally, start lowering the CPU voltage from it's current level to see what is the minimum you need to maintain stability at 4.5 ghz.

What you need to bend your mind around is that as you increase the CPU frequency, not only will the CPU speed up but so will the frequencies of the memory, the HT Link and the CPU/NB since they are all tuned to it. The CPU frequency is the master system bus and it is also known as the FSB and the HT Reference.

Last edited:
Oh dear, may have a small problem here :rain:. Last night I made some changes in the BIOS and when I saved them and exited, my PC wouldn't boot past the attached screen shot. I had been tinkering with the RAM settings but every time I tried to change it, either manual or EOCP, the BIOS was reset via the auto recovery to factory settings. The board has dual BIOS, a little safety net for people like me I guess, only trouble is now it gets stuck :(. I was thinking about using the clear CMOS jumpers but then read that this could make things worse. Not to sure about this because as I understand it this should reset everything back to factory, kinda brute force approach if you like. One thing I do know is that you can do more than a little bit of damage with only a little bit of knowledge. Will now be sitting with my hands under me bum for the time being, some what red of the face. Still the old girl still runs, so time to :rock:

Attachments

• IMAG0640.jpg
    IMAG0640.jpg
    863.3 KB · Views: 146
Hi guys, reset the CMOS and what do you know, it worked!!! Guess not all Forums are as good as this one :thup:. Have now got her running steady the specs are in the attachments, I took a snip before starting P95 and after 2 hours running Torture Blend. Ran it last night for 4 hours but I had been trying other settings so I wanted to make sure I hadn't changed anything else. I've included the SPD this time as it may help with the up coming RAM question :D.
With regards to Trents post about the RAM, not sure why but still can't change the settings without the BIOS getting reset, any ideas??? :bang head. Only thing I could think of was the RAM Voltage settings but would have thought the EOCP would deal with this as it seemed to change most things. Will reread the post by Stevenb http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663 to see if I can spot where I'm going wrong.
Thanks for reading,
:rock:

Attachments

• Multi 20.5 FSB 220 before p95.PNG
    Multi 20.5 FSB 220 before p95.PNG
    60.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Multi 20.5 FSB 220 after 2 hours p95.PNG
    Multi 20.5 FSB 220 after 2 hours p95.PNG
    73.5 KB · Views: 146
When it comes to the ram, I assume you're trying to up the frequency? You'l have to set the voltage manually to 1.6 or even 1.65v and also set the timings manually. That's why it would reboot on you. The ram can't run at 2133 without the added volts so it would reset.

Thanks Johan45, been a bit busy with life recently but hope to be back tinkering later today or tomorrow. Johan45 your right, I think, basically want to get somewhere close to the RAM's capabilities however not sure the board will let me. Can you tell me which Voltage I need to adjust, I posted my BIOS volts on page 1 post 10. The way I see it I have 2 ways of doing this, first being manually with help from you guys :thup: and the second being with DRAM EOCP. I don't think you guys are going to like the second option much :D. I have DRAM voltage control and DDR VTT voltage control, please help :chair:

Thanks for all your help guys,

from post #10 it's DRAM voltage control. You'll need to select it and go manual with the higher voltage.

:bang head Well I don't get it, everything I tried resulted in the BIOS auto resetting :mad:. I pushed the volts up in 0.005 increments from 1.510 all the way to 1.650 with just one jump on the memory clock. Checked Kingston's web site and that is as high as I should go with the volts.

One thing I have noticed but not to sure about is in the SPD tab (Post 26) it says my max bandwidth is PC3-10700 (667 MHz). Well I double checked and I defo ordered the 2400 modules, so have I been ripped off, or is it just me being a little bit daft???

All ideas/comments gratefully received :)

Cornish Git

Okay, feeling bit dumb right now, it seems that my Gigabyte board was a bad choice. Just been on Gigabyte.com looking at my board and it seems to me that the memory modules only get 1.5v???

Taken from said web site:

Memory
1. 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory (Note 1)
2. Dual channel memory architecture
3. Support for DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules (Note 2)

(Note 1) Due to a Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than the size of the physical memory installed.

(Note 2) To support a DDR3 1866 MHz (and above) memory, you must install an AM3+ CPU first.

Gonna have a lie down now...

:bang head Well I don't get it, everything I tried resulted in the BIOS auto resetting :mad:. I pushed the volts up in 0.005 increments from 1.510 all the way to 1.650 with just one jump on the memory clock. Checked Kingston's web site and that is as high as I should go with the volts.

One thing I have noticed but not to sure about is in the SPD tab (Post 26) it says my max bandwidth is PC3-10700 (667 MHz). Well I double checked and I defo ordered the 2400 modules, so have I been ripped off, or is it just me being a little bit daft???

All ideas/comments gratefully received :)

Cornish Git

That's normal for ram. They have that ram selected for it's speed,my 2133 reads as 1600. When you upped the ram frequency and volts did you loosen the timings too? You need to.
Okay, feeling bit dumb right now, it seems that my Gigabyte board was a bad choice. Just been on Gigabyte.com looking at my board and it seems to me that the memory modules only get 1.5v???

Taken from said web site:

Memory
1. 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory (Note 1)
2. Dual channel memory architecture
3. Support for DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules (Note 2)

(Note 1) Due to a Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than the size of the physical memory installed.

(Note 2) To support a DDR3 1866 MHz (and above) memory, you must install an AM3+ CPU first.

Gonna have a lie down now...

Maybe your board won't run at 2400 but it should run higher than the almost 1500 you're running. I'm pretty sure that your system is 64-bit that's what your sig says and you are running an AM3+ CPU.

Testing...

Using g00gle, I find a number of the ga 970a-d3 Rev3.0 with ram issues. Some are fixed by actually using one of the XMP profiles (only) and some by going into bios and memory timings and adjusting the ram timings.

Also note that within the last 9mos or so we have seen a number of users with Kingston ram having problems. Not so much before that. Must be some changes to their ram.

You seem to have Kingston KHX2400C11D3/8GX and have 32GB Kingston Hyperbeast DDR3 2400 or 32Gigs of that ram. As above mention, there have been issues with some Kingston ram more lately than previously. Not to mention that buying DDR3-2400 ram for an AMD board borders on being a complete waste. And by so doing the SPD is very complicated for the board bios to try and decipher. And when running an XMP mode there can be changes made to ram timings that are not easily visible to the average user. Both of your visible XMP modes shown in CPUz SPD tab are far beyond the capabilities of your motherboard.

There is another note that I seldom see mentioned in any forum until a user has a problem, then it comes out or to the surface. Even DDR3 1866 ram is only supported with 1 DPC (DIMM per Channel) which is only two sticks by AMD spec.

So you have way over-spec'd ram and then 32 gigs of it trying to overclock on a pretty inexpensive motherboard. You are likely in for trouble as is already apparent.

Check your mobo manual for ram by channel placement and remove a stick from each channel. That should leave 2 sticks and 16 gigs and still in dual channel mode.

Then set ram to 1.6Volts.

Then set timings in bios to 10, 11, 10, 27, 41 2T. Now Save and Exit and Reboot back into bios and set ram to DDR3-1600 speed and see if you can Reboot. So far I think you have said you could not. Check it now.

Thanks for your replies, looks like I got a bit carried away with the RAM or maybe I didn't do enough research on the mobo, either way Bugger!

RGone, Will give it ago but I am tempted to call it a day if it doesn't work, just OCing the processor with a little FSB increase to help the RAM. I know its called something else now, you will just have to forgive me as I'm old and out of date!!! By the way, how high is to high when it comes to FSB??? Will try what you say before giving up though :)

Johan45, I knew when I got the board that it wouldn't run at 2400 but thought it would be better to have something under worked rather than overworked, can't be right all the time, and yes 64 bit system with AM3+.

Thanks again for all your time, help and knowledge, really appreciate it :thup:.

Cornish Git :rock:

You can lower the multiplier and raise the FSB aka HT Ref Freq as high as it will go and work and as the cpu will go. Raisng the HT Ref Freq will also raise the ram speed, the CPU_NB speed and the HT Freq. So FSB raising effects 4 speeds. The multipliers for all but the ram would have be lowered as you raise the FSB in order for them to not go so far out of spec. And we don't know how high the ram can go at its' Cas 9 settings that seem done by the SPD.

I still highly suggest seeing if that ram can be adjusted so that it can be set to run at DDR3-1600 or greater without having to REset everything else, but the choice is ultimately up to you.
RGone...

I still highly suggest seeing if that ram can be adjusted so that it can be set to run at DDR3-1600 or greater without having to REset everything else, but the choice is ultimately up to you.
RGone...

Absolutely, you have taken the time to offer me your help, so the very least I can do is give it a go. I was just getting ahead of myself/thinking out loud. It will be a few days till I get to give it a try but will update as and when I can, thanks for all your help.

Cornish Git.

Hi RGone, sorry its been so long but went a bit manic this end, house renovation+pregnant wife=stop playing and start working :(. Anyway, I really appreciate all the advise that you and others have given to me but i have had to call it a day for the time being, I hope to have a go at what you suggested but not for a few months as the baby is due in 3 weeks and could potentially be born any day from here on in.

Once again, big thank you to you and everyone who has helped me, hopefully this thread will help others, if so give thanks to these guys :comp:.

The headbanging Cornish Git who consumes far to much caffine and redbull to be healthy :D

Hi RGone, sorry its been so long but went a bit manic this end, house renovation+pregnant wife=stop playing and start working :(. Anyway, I really appreciate all the advise that you and others have given to me but i have had to call it a day for the time being, I hope to have a go at what you suggested but not for a few months as the baby is due in 3 weeks and could potentially be born any day from here on in.

Once again, big thank you to you and everyone who has helped me, hopefully this thread will help others, if so give thanks to these guys :comp:.

The headbanging Cornish Git who consumes far to much caffine and redbull to be healthy :D

I understand the "can come anyday" thing. We had one in the family have her baby on Nov 30th and not Dec 17 of 2013. Everyone got in 'go' mode when it came early.

Good fortune to you and your extending family.
RGone...

Back