• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking to use faster memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shoutout33

Registered
What's up people? :D I need to know, if you use OC Genie (Yes, I know I shouldn't use it, but please bear with me...) on a MSI mobo to overclock your CPU, is it enough to allow you to use faster memory?

you can use faster memory without OC Genie, it's only feature to enable OC profile , nothing else

Ok...so even if I'm NOT using OC Genie

you can use faster memory without OC Genie, it's only feature to enable OC profile , nothing else

Do I have to still have my CPU OC'd in order to run faster memory or is this not necessary either? Just want to clarify, because when I look at the memory on some mobo's, they'll have some speeds with an OC by them. To me, that means I need to have my CPU OC'd in order to take advantage of the faster memory.

OC in board's specification near memory clock means that board's manufacturer won't guarantee stable work at these settings even though it supports higher memory clock/ratio.
In most cases you have clocks up to 1866 and anything above is marked as OC just because 1600/1866 ( depends from used CPU ) is max in Intel specification for memory controller.

Back