• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Xeon X5450

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ragekemi

Hello, after hours and hours of reading, learning, watching videos on youtube, i finally decided to create an account here and debate about overclocking my old cpu that i bought for $20 because all i intend is to play Battlefield 1 with my rig.

The rig:

Motherboard: Foxconn P45A-S
CPU: Xeon X5450 3.00 ghz/12mb/1333mhz
Ram: 2x2gb 667 mhz + 2x2gb 800 mhz
Vga: GeForce GTX 960 4gb ddr5 Windforce
Cooler: Ive recently bought a Cooler Master Lite 120 Water cooling
Font: Corsair VS600 80p

So what is my problem, i had a old cooler fan that i initially booted the system on, im on work atm so i can't show SS's of the bios but its all about doubts and asking.

I've managed to get to 3.300 Ghz with 1.350 core voltage but my CPU went literally hell on 98º C, ive ran 5 bench test, played PUBG and BF1 for 30 min (both on sub50 fps) and the system ran fine, but, for my sadness, Battlefield 1 isnt optimal, i want to get 50+ fps so i can at least play it on very low settings, so, my initial doubt is:

1. Using the watercooler i'll be able to maintain temperature - automatically i can raise the CPU voltage and FSB.
2. Are my RAMS limiting the OC? (I bought 2 800 mhz chips they arrive tonight)
3. What is limiting my overclock? (BSOD, freezes on startup, etc)

Thanks guys and cheers from Brazil!

I will be doing the same upgrade shortly. I already purchased a Xeon X5470 just waiting on the little sticker for the pin switch. I would invest in a good air cooler like a hyper 212 + because then you can take control of your temps and get a more stable overclock. I would go with that first and foremost. Also you shouldn't be running two different speeds of RAM. Sounds like you are ordering new ram so that should help with reliability and OC.

Back