• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overheating p4...urgent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karbon

i got a refurbished motherboard from newegg last week, along iwth a p4 3.0c. i first used the stock HSF with arctic silver5, and the temp reading was 60C idle, and it kept rising. i reseaated the heatsink a few more times, samet hing happened. after i put on my sp-94 and 92mm tornado, the temps were the same. im thinking that

1) the mobo is reading the temp wrong
2) the p4 is really messed up

my fan controller has 4 sensors that i can use to monitor the cpu temp, where do i put it

thanks

umm... 60 C is within spec... Mine hits 65-67 load, but im cool with that cuz Intel says it can take 70c

over 60C isnt very good for the chip....it would last a lot longer if it were under 40C. anyways, the temp keeps going up no matter what. its 60C in bios, after 15 seconds it gets around 70-75.

the heatsink is very warm....im starting to think i got a defective p4

first i went into bios, and hit f8 = reset to BIOS defaults, then i reset the cmos jumper. before i used an MSI 865PE neo2-LS with a p4 2.6c, now im using an MSI 865G neo2-PLS. i have a temp gage that i can use to get the temp of the cpu, ill go check

lol i havent tried cpu-z yet, that would be pretty funny if it was a prescott. usually about 30 seconds after i get into windows the temps are around 70C so i havent tried using it. i got the temp sensor on my fan controller working,but havent gotten the temp yet. the stupid fan controller wont stop beeping because i didnt bother to hook up the fan speed wires to it, and my sister made me shut it off lol.

i put the cpu temp sensor right next to the p4, on the bottom side of the heatsink. the temp on the fan controller goes up in .5 degree increments every 5 seconds. right after i got into windows, the mobo sensor (not the fan controller) said it was 95C, so i immediately shut it off. obviously i dont know if thats right or not, but i would have had to wait about 2-3 minutes for the fan controller to get up to around the right temp. 2-3 minutes at 95C probably wouldnt be good. so im going to send the p4 back to newegg tomorrow probably

thats some crazy temp you got there. obviously you couldnt overclock...so maybe you can rma the chip or the mobo back to newegg.

SimGuy said:
Is this an ABIT motherboard by chance?

No, he's using the MSI 865G neo2-PLS.

Since its a refurb mobo, I would still suggest having quick look at the BIOS-setings. Maybe they're completely off, causing some sort of OC?

(This could be done in less than 3 minutes, mind you)

For the bios settings, just take CMOS out, for about 30 seconds with pc powered down and unplugged. Then put it back.

Eventhough you have reseated the heatsink many times and tried two, it really does sound like its not seated properly. If it was me i'd just send the board back, i very much doubt its the cpu.

Betterlife: Your idle temps SHOW 25c on an asus board... they are about 10c low.

On my old asus board, i got 36c idle with stock hsf -- on my abit board i got 42c idle with watercooling. The only thing you can rely on is a temperature node.

~t0m

What about a bad temp sensor on the board? He said it was refurbed...

The chip has its own sensor to keep it from burning up right? Why dont you just leave it on... IF the computer shuts off, its the chip, if it doesnt somethings wrong with the sensor....

The chip is under warranty right???

Yeh, ok, but who wants a board with a duff diode sensor thing? I suppose it would rule out the chip. Just send the board back :p

i know that faulty CPUs are very rare, but im pretty sure the motherboard sensor is fine. i really wish i could use a separate diode to test the temp (the one that came with fan controller) but i dont want to risk killing the chip. deathBOB mentioned that i should try leaving it on, and if the chip is faulty then the sensor no it will shut it down automatically, is this safe to do?

the motherboard and cpu both have the regular 30-day warranty from newegg, and 3 year warranty from manufacturer.

i already tried resetting the bios settings to default and clearing the CMOS, ill try taking out the battery i guess

Back