• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P35-DS3R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LordFrank

After going thru 4 motherboards trying to find one I liked and that liked my QX cpu and Gskill 4,4,4,5 1000mhz ram… I’m extremely happy to say, I’ve found it.

My recent mobo history,

eVGA 680i
Abit IN9-32max
Abit QuadGT (two of these after I broke one after a week or so and RMA’d it)

The eVGA 680i, ok board. Just cheaply made.

Abit IN9-32max, neat board. Lots of bells and whistles. Coolest bios logo screen I’ve ever seen, I really wish more logo screens looked as nice and full of color… it is like a weird techno dragon thing (the same picture that’s on the box).

Abit QuadGT, LOATH this mobo. Hate this one, HATE IT! I could go on and on about this board… perhaps in a year or two (at the rate they are going) there might be a bios update worth while that makes this board atleast somewhat decent, but I already broke one from losing my patients, I’m done waiting.

All three boards hated my Gskill ram. The eVGA would boot with it if I booted with another stick first and set all the weird timings and voltages for it. The Abit boards… just sucked. Now the QuadGT wouldn’t make up it’s mind if it would use it or not. Some days, it would work just fine, some days it wouldn’t get past the memory check in the bios, some days one stick would work but the pair would not, some days only the auto settings would work, some days only the manually entered settings would allow it to work. Both Abit boards wouldn’t take my QX above 333MHz fsb without not posting. The eVGA would take me to 375 rock solid, 400 ify.

P35-DS3R, love it! Pop in my ram, auto detects the proper factory settings, and just works. Decide to nose around the bios and change the fsb… figured 400mhz should be a good bios resetting laugh… and I am currently typing this message at 400MHz fsb x8… with zero voltage changes.

It is missing a couple things I’ve grown use to. It doesn’t have the LED bios code display that is very handy and it doesn’t have any firewire what so ever, no back panel port and no headers, which is suprising… but I guess for less the 150 bucks, there’s gotta be a couple reasons for the low price. It also has to things that have long lived there life and need to be taken out back and shot… it has a back panel LPT and COM port. Why… I dunno.

It has four backpanel USB ports and 4 headers for 8 more ports.

The bios is different, but not bad… and it has a very interesting bios re-set feature. If you OC something that doesn’t allow it to post, it simple turns the pc off by it’s self and re-sets only the CPU and memory settings back to default. So you don’t have to jumper or flip switches all the time. And it keeps the settings you enter, it just changes two options (one for ram and one for cpu) to auto. Soon as you change it off auto, your settings that didn’t work pop back in there and allow you to make your corrections off of them.

I tried for the hell of it to goto to 500mhz fsb… didn’t work, though I wasn’t surprised, but I really didn’t “try” to get it to work, just upped a few volts and let’er rip… didn’t dive deep into it at all.

The board comes with the world’s worst manual… the thing is garbage. Looks like a cut all manual as it has how to install your video and use an AGP card and socket as it’s pic-to-gram.

Driver installation was easy, the CD has a deal called “xpress install” just runs a program to see if you have the drivers for the board and if not, it installs them.

I am very impressed with this board… enough to pull back out my phase change unit to see what kind of clock speeds I can get (something I stopped doing when I got my hands on the very frustrating abit boards).

well ... after reading your review, and seeing they are now available at the egg...for good price i might add... i just ordered one... :eek:

i really want intel raid over this crappy jmicron that screwed me over..

I did forget to mention that this board is also lacking SLi. That, I'm sure, is important to some... just not me (can't stand paying full price for something I'll only get a portion of its use).

So, the main things it's missing from the 200 bucks and up boards;

No SLi
No LED display
No Firewire

Also, I installed Vista this weekend... only to try out Halo 2... and it is fully Vista ready, only needed to install drivers for update purposes. Everything installed properly off the Vista dvd. Just fyi on that.

I was jsut eyeing this board on the egg....i am curious to how your NB temps are as it has a much bigger cooler than my current DS3?
And i personally am not a fan of SLI, so this board looks good for the price to me as well....i am thinking this board with the soon-to-be released e6x50 series will be a nice upgrade..thanks for your review....try and post some screenies of bios and run some benchies if you get a chance.

I really want to put some benches and screens up... last weekend I installed Vista and I am a Vista noob, so I've been trying to figure out this OS and I just haven't got around to benches yet.

But I think I'll try some now.

But the board is great, I was able to get 400MHz at x8 with my QX6700 at all stock settings. I have yet to try and push for harder as I've been busy. I'll install some programs and get some temps and screens....

3Dmark06_Vista_00.jpg

3Dmark06_Vista_01.jpg

CPU_Z_Vista_00.jpg
CPU_Z_Vista_01.jpg

CPU_Z_Vista_02.jpg

While running Prime95 Max heat stress test.

Temps_1.jpg

My Cooling is a PA120.2 Rad, an EK CPU Block with an EK 8800GTX Block in the same loop.

Here's a pic of the board in my system. One of the reasons its super messy (and why I haven't tried pushing any more OCs) is my PSU went out on me and I'm using my wife's till I get a new one... so I haven't bothered routing the wires or making it "neat" at all.

HPIM0435.jpg

I put the entire system on the mobo tray, so everything pulls out as a single unit when I need to work on it.

Last edited:
I left Prime95 Max heat stress test running all this while, the CPU temp bounces between 41c and 50c, hasn't yet went above 50c and hasn't dipped below 41c.

Motherboard temp is now sitting at 44c and not moving.

My PC is also on the third floor of my house, so ambient temps are high... I'd say over 75f.

are you just running a single instance of prime? there's beta version out that will run all 4 cores with one prime session, works pretty good, here's a link

toddm27 said:
are you just running a single instance of prime? there's beta version out that will run all 4 cores with one prime session, works pretty good, here's a link

Let me download that.

EDIT:

Awesome, it looks great. I'll run this tonight and post screens of it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back