• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

debovenk2002

I am getting the Reatail Box P4 to tie me over tell I can get a better heatsink and fan. I am wondering which is the best quiet heatsink and fan setup. I am finding it hard to find a quiet one almost every one comes with a 50 or 60 DBA fan. My case fans are only like 23DBA and the PS has 27DBA fans in it. so I need a under 30DBA one.
I have a SK-6 with a Delta 38 on it for my Athlon XP 1700+ and it is way to load I need something quiet for my P4 can someone help me?

My System: Parts on there way now!
Asus P4B533-E, P4 2.4B 533Mhz, Crucial 256MB PC-2700
Parts recoved from old XP 1700+
Coolermaster ATC-201, Maxtor 60GB, Pionner DVD-116, HP 9100i, SB Live!, ATI Radeon 7000VE, Enermax 350Watt Whisper PS

I just read that the TMD fan on the MCX 4000 has been discontinued because they are having problems with them. The fan apparently can not control it's speed correctly and they have had units burn up their wiring from spinning too fast and drawing too much current. If you have one of these fans I'd double check it to make sure it's staying in it's rated speed range.

I just got my P4 yesterday and find the Standard Heatsink and Fan to be preatty quiet. I will wait a little bit before getting a new one. The temps are very good to.

alpha is better for low cfm cooling. The swifty REQUIRES a mad fan on it, no matter what. The alpha's amazing design (and shroud) all for it to do just as good with a lower cfm fan, why bother with a swiftech?

obliv said:
alpha is better for low cfm cooling. The swifty REQUIRES a mad fan on it, no matter what. The alpha's amazing design (and shroud) all for it to do just as good with a lower cfm fan, why bother with a swiftech?

The new swiftech works well with a lower speed fan also, it's a much larger heatsink then the original P4 one they sell.

I've had my eye on the Coolermaster Heatpipe for a while. It's been rated well on what I've seen. For a quieter fan, you could get an adapter for a larger size, move more air with less noise.

obliv said:

OK, but even if we take for granted that Alpha is better for low CFM cooling (though others claim the opposite here), provided one would go for a 92x92 fan with an adaptor, which would do better, Alpha or Swiftech?

BTW, where to get 92->80 or 92->60 good fan adapters?

Back