• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Prescott overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

My friend wants to OC a P4 prescott.

Right now it's at 200x16 (3.2)
I'm pretty sure the multi locks at 16
Bus speed goes up to 300 for a theoretical max of 300x16 (4.8)

Right now we're using a stock cooler, however the case does have a Scythe Kaze 3000RPM fan on the back that moves almost 160CFM and sounds like a shuttle launch and a standard size 90mm intake.

I'm thinking I should be able to hit atleast 210 if not 220..

The motherboard is an ASRock 8i65G :eek:

Also, the ram is budget, and as I'm not looking to make toast, I can't overclock it past 400 so I'm hoping I can untie it from the FSB...

Anybody know this chip's TJMax btw? (prescott 90nm)

Thanks in advance.

Doesnt have a Tj sensor, only Tcase. Tcase max is 67 or 72*c.
Under 60 is what you want to aim for.

Get a better cooler, at 4ghz that chip is putting out about 115w of heat.
I played with a 530j prescot a while ago and found it to overclock quite well.

Precott's clock easy. Is the RAM DDR? If it is then the overclock will most likely be "stopped" by the RAM.

I pretty much HAD to slap a Thermalright XP-120 on my old P4 3.2E to get it to stay cool at stock speeds, but I was able to get it to 4GHz (250FSB) stable for a few years. My previous Thermaltake copper HSF just couldn't handle a 3GHz Presc"hott", the XP120 was a huge improvement - AND you can still buy the XP120 for like $19.99 @ Frozen CPU IIRC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool:

Ok thanks guys. Really under 60? I would think with a 90nm it'd be way higher. 65 is safe for a 65nm c2d... I'd think for a 90nm prescott it'd be atleast 75

I wouldn't go over 70*C, but from what I recall my 3.2E was @ 4.0GHz @ 1.45v and stayed under 65*C with the XP120 cooler and a quiet fan....

They all have soldered lids, so they actually keep cool really well. Mine at 4ghz ran cooler then my e5200@stock on the same HSF.

If a Prescott hits 70C or so it will thermal throttle. They can run pretty hot without being damaged, but they will do it very slowly. lol

Throttlewatch is a must-have app for anyone oveclocking a Prescott. :)

Also, the ram is budget, and as I'm not looking to make toast, I can't overclock it past 400 so I'm hoping I can untie it from the FSB...

Is it PC2700? That would explain being unable to go higher than 200 Mhz. ->That would explain failure at 201 Mhz, because of no more head room.

With my Kingston PC2700, the max was 195 Mhz before Memtest 86 started erroring.

I would think PC3200 would be able to do 215 Mhz.

They all have soldered lids, so they actually keep cool really well. Mine at 4ghz ran cooler then my e5200@stock on the same HSF.

LOL - You must have had a Gem of a P4. The Prescotts were known as "PrescHOTts" by most everyone (and then the Pentuim-D shortly after). My e6600 ran a good deal cooler...

I suspect it was cherry picked by alienware for their laptop line.
Put out a ton of heat, but stayed cool cause it was easy to get the heat into the cooler.
Course, my e5200 runs crazyhot as it's lid is poorly TIM'd in place.

Back