• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 and 3.0 WCed OC help!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JenBell

:bang head Hello people...

My pc is made up of: zalman 400w psu, P4P800, 3.0 ghz not currently OCed, Corsair PC4000-PT cooled by a zalman reserator. At default settings the max temp is not touching 27 currently (AC turned on).

The problem is that I want to overclock the setup. I can get it to 3.6ghz using fsb:400, agp/pci locked @ 66.66/33.33, vcore 1.9, ram: 2.75v, agp: 1.50v. Memory accel is enabled and performance mode is set to standard.

At 3.6ghz it is not fully stable, I heard disabling usb legacy support could help and disabling spread spec as well, they are both disabled.
Ram timings are 3-4-4-8 with a burst lengh of 8.

I know I can go further with the components as the ram max's should max out at 3.7ghz. I just want to get to 3.6 as at this level I am really happy with the speed.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. I know while OCing I set a very high vcore but anything less and xp crashes very quickly.

Also, there is a setting VID CMOS setting which is set to 62 by default. What does this do and do I need to modify it? I wan to run in a ration of 1:1 so in all my settings I have left the ram freq to 400.

I could really use someone's help...my pc is begging for overclocking...I reach a load temp of 42/3c when running at 1.9 vcore. I know I have the cooling at the components, just missing the know how.

Is there a setting most people do naturally that I am forgetting?

I would really appreciate your help as I think I am starting to kill my last brain cell banging my head against the :bang head :cry:

If you need more info on the setup please let me know, I am really getting angry as I spent money on getting decent ram so I could get decent performance.

Thanks in advance...

JenBell (noobie who should know better)

Well, with a overclock that high, I dont know of any ways to make your 3.6 any more stable. Just try going to 3.5ghz. You wont notice a performance difference. Hope that helps...

Holy crap! 1.9 VCore? Northwoods, under "normal" cooling die very quickly above 1.75V. Which version of the P4P800 you using? I have the Deluxe in both the 1.2 and 2.0 PCBs with BIOS 1016 and I don't have any "VID CMOS" setting? If your using a VCore that high you may just be out of running room on the chip.

I'd back off the VCore to no more than 1.6V and see how far that takes you (assuming you haven't done that already). Unless you have a Mach II or Vapochill you're risking that chip.

what you really need to do is up the voltage of the ram.At stock you can get the vdimm to 2.85, but with pc4000 you really need to get the vdimm to like 3.1 or even 3.3 to get what you want.To get the vdimm this high you will have to do the vdimm mod.
Running vcore at 1.9 isnt wise but it really shouldnt make a diff since most P4P's wont really change voltages above 1.6.im curios as to what your asusprobe says your voltage is because if it truly is running the cpu at 1.9 you prolly wont be using that chip for much more than 6 months to a year.

Polargoat, why would upping his VDIMM help? I've never ran my memory beyond what it was rated for (PC3700 @ 2.6V). Since he's using PC4000 probably rated for 2.7V or 2.6V why would upping the VCore to 2.85V help the processor overclock? Not arguing just trying to understand the reasoning. Maybe I'll learn something and maybe we'll help him in the process.

I assumed we were talking about setting 1.9V VCore in the BIOS and not what it was reading in Asus Probe. I still say that 1.9V setting will kill the chip prematurely.

Ram has alot to do with overclocking the cpu. If the ram is not stable then you will not have a stable o/c. I cannot get the o/c i have unless im running at 2.85 vdimm. The higher ram the more voltage it needs and usually more voltage than whats suggested just like cpu's. If I were to get pc4000 i would definetely do the vdimm mod to get a higher voltage for my ram so that when im using tight timings and upping the fsb I will have plenty of voltage to power the ram. The pc4000 needs this extra voltage to get a stable o/c like hes wanting. Im not explaining this the best way so if anybody else can elaborate on what im saying feel free. i just know that it works. heh.

Hi. Thanks so far. I will trying a few things as soon as it's nightime. I have been thinking (yes, I am gifted enough to do that at least)...what is the setting "VID CMOS" for? It is set to 62, I can adjust it from 1-62. Also, I tried enabling the performance mode to TURBO and the pc just does not boot up at default settings. Is this right?

I also mangaged to find a Corsair newspress where they have written that they test all the modules of ram like mine at 2.75 with 3-4-4-8. I have installed ai booster to see what I can play with as I would rather have Xp crashing while loaded than when loading (at least that way I can actually use the pc and not end up corrupting one od the vxds or dlls).

Another thing is that at all default settings the cpu vcore is set to 1.65 as it flactuates from 1.55 to 1.65. If I leave it standing it satys at either 1.55/3 or 1.63 usually, afp is set to 1.60 and vdimm is set to 2.65. These are the defaults asus probe, ai booster and other programs are showing me. MBM 5 is within 0.5c of the asus probe/booster.

I have never got the pc to boot at anything over vdimm 2.75 in all my attempts. So I have given up on it. Unless someone can tell me otherwise.

I also thought that the NB was the problem but the current temp at default settings is 36c, I have never seen it over 31c before. As everything is set to default and everything is working stable, I know I dont need to add more cooling for the nb as of yet. If I do I think I will get the fan that comes with the zalman flower and point it at the nb, its quite and should do the job.

Thanks once again, so far for all the help.

try to disable hyper threading, your performance may be hindered but you may be able to reach a higher OC. i would lower the vcore also. your gonna burn it up.

Rhino56,

I wwas wondering if you could help me out. Can write all your settings in the bios for the "jumper free, chipset and the memory one". I need someone to show me exactly what they have done. Like can you spoon feed me the info.

I would really apprecaite it. I understand if you cannot be bothered. Also, did you add any additonal cooling to the nb? what is your temp usually on the nb.

Thanks in advance. :(

JenBell said:
Rhino56,

I wwas wondering if you could help me out. Can write all your settings in the bios for the "jumper free, chipset and the memory one". I need someone to show me exactly what they have done. Like can you spoon feed me the info.

I would really apprecaite it. I understand if you cannot be bothered. Also, did you add any additonal cooling to the nb? what is your temp usually on the nb.

Thanks in advance. :(
i removed the thermal stock pad on the NB with xylene, then finish cleaned with alcohol, then aput artic silver 5 in place of it. i then added a fan to the stock heatsink. my temps are as low as ambient now. 20 to 30c depending on the weather. the NB temp does limit me in my OC though when i start getting around 4.3 ghz
my exact settings you could never boot with im sure.
what is it your trying to achieve? are you running benchmarks?
i know for a prime 95 bench the highest possible mhz is what you want.
but for like 3dmark2001se you dont want to compromise running 1:1 to get a higher fsb. youll get better performance to stay at 1:1 and the highest fsb you can get with it.
i am constantly tweaking things for a little better performance for this or that so i dont have a standard set up for my bios but these are what i would try
DRAM Frequency Ratios: 400
AGP/PCI: 66.33
CPU VOLTAGE:1.65
DDR REF Votage:AGP VDDQ Voltage: 2.85 because i keep a high fsb like 256
Performance Mode: auto
RAM Settings: 3/4/4/8 Performance Acceleration:standard
DRAM Idle:auto
DRAM Refresh Rate:auto
Apeture Size: 64 Spread Spectrum:disabled
ICH Delay:enabled
MPS Revision:1.4

you may have just reached the highest you can get with your set up.
get better cooling and youll reach higher speeds. its really all in the cooling of everything. you overheat one thing and it ruins it for eveything.

Hey what does it mean when someones mobo is a P4P800-E whats the -E? or the -Whatever? thanks in advance for helping out a newb.

Floataris

Jenbell:

Up the Vdimm drop the Vcore

I have a 3.0 prescott with a P4P800-E dx mobo and I cannot get above 3.6 with mycurrent cooling. The reserator isn't exactly high-performance water cooling either....it is designed to be fanless=noiseless. I am going to a better WC setup with a 226W peltier then I would expect it to go alot higher.

Also I noticed running my RAM:CPU ration at 4:5 helped with my overclocking troubles. It just doesn't like 1:1 however with your PC4000 I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem.

Oh yeh....I'm getting to 3.6GHz with Vcore at 1.4V (precott does some weird fluctuating VCore thing). 1.9V is not needed

I also missed which chip you actually have is it a Northwood or Prescott????

And the settings in my Asus P4P800-E deluxe as far as Ram frequency is concerned really confuses me......
All my old mobo's were in ratio's i.e. 1:1, 4:5 etc
I can't understand what is going on with Asus's BIOS where they have the settings in frequency. I was told by someone that no matter what RAM you have setting the BIOS at 400 will be 1:1. This doesn;t sound right???? But I would find out exactly how to tune your DDR frequencies

ya.. i have a 2.6 w/ HT and p4p800-e deluxe.

i cant keep it stable at 3.6 either but only because it only goes that high with the highest core voltage..

so i lowered it to 3.5 and found that it will run at 3.5 with core at 1.675...

this is almost the same OC but it will run many times more stable and cooler. also if you really...really like cold comps... you can drop it down to 3.4 and it will run between 1.52 and 1.58 core voltage... a nice performance increase with no extra heat.

also ive notices something weird. i have 2x256 sticks of pc3200 samsung.. not supposed to be fast but cheap... anyway..i found that if i overclock to 3.5 and leave the ram speed a auto then the ram clock speed actually decreases... to 180 mhz BUT i tested the bandwidth on them and the bandwidth INCREASED from 4200 mbit/s to 5200 mbit/s.. i come to find that the samsung ram decreased its speed to increase stability.. so my comp is running cool. stable. and fast.

so if you ever want some cheap ram... go with samsung... their ram defies the laws of price vs performance.

just remember that an increaseing in speed without an increase in bandwidth will be almost useless

Back