• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4t-e with new chip wont boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedSkull

in preparation to build a new system i am upgrading my old one to give to my parents but ran into a snag

during transit my computer suffered a serious unfortunate blow, and apparently the weight of the heatsink cleaved 3 pins in the vid pin area where i had the pins wrapped on the 1.8A that was in there...i didnt realiz this until attempting to boot and getting the hig-low siren type voltage beep code... so i quickly shut down removed the cpu and dsicovered the broken pin in the socket.. interestingly the cpu was completey seated in the socket and no other damage is apparent to any part of the motherboard, i went over it with intese scrutiny

i purchased a p4 2.4 (400fsb) to put in the asus p4t-e and when i go to turn it on nothing happens, no beep codes, just fan and what not until i have to click the power supply off

could this used cpu be dead? what does the motherboard report when the cpu is bad? the manual offers no such insight

unfortunately i have no other cpu to test things out with, but i am assusming since the 1.8A with broken pin at least presents with beep codes, something must be wrong with the 2.4 chip
any ideas?
note - i reset the board to jumper free mode so all fsb settings would be default before placing the chip in so it shouldnt be that....

thanks

Back