• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5DW2 CPU Lock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
markodude said:
The 945/955x boards are to be supported on SLI in a future version of Forceware due out soon :)
The P5LD2 Deluxe 945 board even comes with an SLI bridge. I dont know if there will be a small performance hit due to 1 slot being 4x, but I dont think the current graphics cards even use all the available bandwidth anyway.

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=379 pic of the bridge included here - its a flexible one

The P5WD2 came with one as well, however from where do you have the information that SLI will be supported on the 945/955x boards soon? It's not that I am questioning you, rather there seems to be a lot of conflicting information going around and I would really like to get another 7800GTX card and get some SLI action on this motherboard.

Ahh I see, to be honest it is kind of heresay, I work in the industry like many round here probably do and hear a lot of talk...
According to the inquirer Nvidia are known to be validating other chipset for use with SLI - presumably to provide broader support and to compete with crossfire, bridgeless SLI is apparently also supported in the latest drivers (I thought this had been around for a bit as I was given the option when I lost my bridge).
There have been stories on various hardware sites about this...the inq is a good place to start but I am sure you will have seen it.
You not going to try dual core first b4 splashing out on another 7800GTX? OR is gaming your thing and you dont need multi-threading? I reckon it would boost your PCMARK04 score a bit with a vapo chilled 840, donno about the rest of your appos though :D

SLI on the P5WD2 with a new Nvidia driver? Sounds a little too good to be true, but hey here’s hoping :beer:

markodude said:
Ahh I see, to be honest it is kind of heresay, I work in the industry like many round here probably do and hear a lot of talk...
According to the inquirer Nvidia are known to be validating other chipset for use with SLI - presumably to provide broader support and to compete with crossfire, bridgeless SLI is apparently also supported in the latest drivers (I thought this had been around for a bit as I was given the option when I lost my bridge).
There have been stories on various hardware sites about this...the inq is a good place to start but I am sure you will have seen it.
You not going to try dual core first b4 splashing out on another 7800GTX? OR is gaming your thing and you dont need multi-threading? I reckon it would boost your PCMARK04 score a bit with a vapo chilled 840, donno about the rest of your appos though :D

Ok, that's cool. I'm just a little over anxious as allways.... :p

I'll wait for the second gen dualcores before I go dual core, the heat is just too much ven for my Mach II GT when those babies are seriously overclocked. Also currently I don't use too many apps that would benefit much from @ Pentium D @ 4-4.5 Ghz over my 660 @ 5 Ghz.

I'm actually 8th in PCMark04 in the Hall of Fame, so I'm not really suffering performance wise atm ;)

I just really want to see what SLI can do for high res gaming that's it. I don't really need it, who does anyway LOL, but I would just like to try it out without having to get a Nforce4 chipset as I've heard of nothing but trouble with those......

Ahhh - thats you ;) !
I was looking at your PCM05 score on your sig and thinking it was your 04 score!
Man your rig rocks, makes me pleased I have gone back to pushing my single CPU rig rather than the dually - do you think the 3.73EE is any good? I just took out the 3.46EE and I think it is not much different
Watercooling next! Would get one of those new 3 head vapos (CPU+2GPU) if I could afford it!

Turbo said:
the heat is just too much ven for my Mach II GT when those babies are seriously overclocked.

Oh man it just sounds so depressing when you put it like that. The truth hurts I guess.

markodude said:
Ahhh - thats you ;) !
I was looking at your PCM05 score on your sig and thinking it was your 04 score!

LOL yeah I kinda figured just did just that :p

Man your rig rocks, makes me pleased I have gone back to pushing my single CPU rig rather than the dually - do you think the 3.73EE is any good? I just took out the 3.46EE and I think it is not much different
Watercooling next! Would get one of those new 3 head vapos (CPU+2GPU) if I could afford it!

It does allright, but your system's pretty nice too ;)

I had a socket 478 3.4 P4 EE @ 4.4 Ghz before this and even at 1.90V's it didn't put out as much heat as this baby @ ~5 Ghz. Actually it's heat that's keeping me from getting the cpu stable much above 5 Ghz. I can run superpi 32M up to almost 5.3 Ghz, 1M at almost 5.4 Ghz, and I have a verified cpuz screenshot @ over 5.5 Ghz, but the Mach II GT just cannot handle the heat, nor can the motherboard supply enough Vcore. I'm quite sure with an insane cascade cooling system this baby would do aroung 6 Ghz benchable. However I'm an enthusiast not a millionaire so I cannot afford one of those cascades :p

I wouldn't get one of those new systems with multiple cooling heads, I'm quite sure they won't deliver what you expect.

The P4 EE 3.73 is a great cpu and will overclock very nicely. However you may (with serious cooling) run into a motherboard limitation as the multiplier is only 14x and you'll need a motherboard that will run at a very high fsb to max out the cpu. With 4 blocks of memory my motherboard won't do much more than ~325 Mhz fsb now, which would leave me 450-500 Mhz short of my max stable cpu overclock. Even with 2 blocks it maxed out around 360. So I chose the 660 with a 18x multiplier so I'd have the option of using either the 18x or the 14x multiplier (through the Lock-Free function on motherboard). I do loose a little performance running at ~280 Mhz fsb compred to ~350 Mhz, however it is NOTHING compared to the ~500 Mhz I would loose in cpu clock. Also the 660 only costs about half of the 3.73 EE.

Turbo said:
I had a socket 478 3.4 P4 EE @ 4.4 Ghz before this and even at 1.90V's it didn't put out as much heat as this baby @ ~5 Ghz. Actually it's heat that's keeping me from getting the cpu stable much above 5 Ghz. I can run superpi 32M up to almost 5.3 Ghz, 1M at almost 5.4 Ghz, and I have a verified cpuz screenshot @ over 5.5 Ghz, but the Mach II GT just cannot handle the heat, nor can the motherboard supply enough Vcore

had almost the exact same experience with my 660 when i had it over 5ghz had almost the exact same benchable clocks as you did and in the end i think it was my psu (an ocz 520w powerstream) that couldnt give it enough jujice on the 12v rail more so than the mobo. i do know exactly what you mean by the heat though. my 660 would draw my evap temps down to like 28-29c sometimes and the cpu would get to around -1c under a load. this was all with 1.65v (the board i was using would undervolt abit :rolleyes: ) id hate to see the heat from a fully overclocked pentium d would probably push temps into the positive range on an unmodified machii or vapochill ls.

hawtrawkr said:
had almost the exact same experience with my 660 when i had it over 5ghz had almost the exact same benchable clocks as you did and in the end i think it was my psu (an ocz 520w powerstream) that couldnt give it enough jujice on the 12v rail more so than the mobo. i do know exactly what you mean by the heat though. my 660 would draw my evap temps down to like 28-29c sometimes and the cpu would get to around -1c under a load. this was all with 1.65v (the board i was using would undervolt abit :rolleyes: ) id hate to see the heat from a fully overclocked pentium d would probably push temps into the positive range on an unmodified machii or vapochill ls.

Well, the other day (a rather hot one too) I was running memtest86 after I added another GB of memory. During that test at around 5.1 Ghz (and 1.65V in the bios) the Mach II GT started overheating. I noticed because at one point I got a lot (like hundreds) of unexpected errors in memtest. I pretty much knew the memory was good at the tested speed, so I took a look at the display of the Mach II GT, and the temp was at -15°C and rising rapidly, like 1°C every 2 seconds.... This was with no side panels on the Mach II GT and with the fans @ turbo as well. But it was rather warm that day. Usually I can keep it around the same temps you mention.

I read at Xtremesystems that the 840EE overheated a Mach II GT already benching at 4.4-4.5 Ghz I believe it was. So I'm not to keen on making the move to intel dualcore just yet.

RangerXLT8 said:
Ok I bumped up the FSB to 272 and am seeing the highest memory bandwith I've seen on this system. Pretty impressive really, higher FSB really makes a difference.
I noticed from your post that on your 650 you need to use Speed step minimum setting in the bios to get the 14x as I do. I was wondering if you have the same problem as I do. I can not get the system to boot above 270-275fsb even with the memory set at 1:1 550mhz (Ram is Corsair 5400C4 rated at 675mhz), however I can get the cpu up to 4.4Ghz prime stable at the 17x multi, so I should have no problem booting at 300fsb. I am wondering if the cause of this matter is using the Speed step option to get 14x rather than the cpu lock free since the 650 does not seem to support it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

426hemi said:
I noticed from your post that on your 650 you need to use Speed step minimum setting in the bios to get the 14x as I do. I was wondering if you have the same problem as I do. I can not get the system to boot above 270-275fsb even with the memory set at 1:1 550mhz (Ram is Corsair 5400C4 rated at 675mhz), however I can get the cpu up to 4.4Ghz prime stable at the 17x multi, so I should have no problem booting at 300fsb. I am wondering if the cause of this matter is using the Speed step option to get 14x rather than the cpu lock free since the 650 does not seem to support it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

I just addressed my experience with this same problem over in Ross's P5WD2 Vmod thread!

Back