• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5Q PRO CPU Over Voltage Error!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Playerxl

Hi Guys!

I'm Remedy and I'm having some trouble with overclocking my Asus P5Q Pro motherboard.

Let me begin with the specs:
Asus P5Q Pro
Q9550 (/w arctic cooling xtreme)
MSI GTX 670 OC
GeiL 2 x 2GB DDR2 (1066 Mhz)
Antec 500 W (I know it's a bit low but I'm looking for a better one)

I upgraded my Asus P5K motherboard with this P5Q pro board. First time I installed this board I accidentally plugged an USB cable in the IEEE connector. When I was trying to boot the system for the first time I saw a spark near the IEEE connector. So I noticed that the resistor was burnt (maybe more than the resistor itself). I reinstalled the USB cable to the USB connector and luckly the system was posting.

But the only thing is that (no matter what setting I use: manual/auto CPU Voltage - Jumper CPU_OV on/off) I get an error CPU Over Voltage Error! The BIOS (hardware monitor) is telling me the CPU is getting 0,0 V. But coretemp is giving me the right voltages.. I hope someone can help me with this Error!

Thanks in advance for your help! :D

Im guessing with that surface mount component burned there is a bigger problem. I suggest replace the board.

Z

Sounds like it may have put a dent in the SuperIO chip. You can turn the voltage warning off in the BIOS if you want to.
What does CPUz say the vcore is?

They're both 2x5 pin ports on the mobo. Only difference is a red plastic surround instead of a blue plastic surround.
COM ports also have the same shape.

I have that board... Really REALLY hate it. Nothing but problems. And the very last Asus product that I'm ever going to by... (Well actually that would be my laptop that was on RMA for six months...)

I had a ASUS laptop that was nothing but trouble and there customer support was unthinkable trouble.:shrug:

CPU_OV Jumper was set to pin 12.. So no problems there.. I can turn off the warning but I thought something else was going on.. But I think I've damage something else when trying to connect a USB plug with the IEEE connector. But I already have a new board (P5Q Deluxe).

Asus is telling me through this calculator (http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx) that 500 W isn't enough. So I already bought a 700W PSU :)

Asus is full of it. A good 360w unit could run that setup if you aren't OCing like mad.

Yup, 170w TDP GPU, 95w TDP CPU, 50w for misc stuff (way more than you have), and you're at 315w. OC a bit and you're closer to the cap of course. OC a bunch and you're over it.

Back