• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2-E Vdroop mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only thing good about an old fashioned pencil is it has a tapered lead that makes it easier to stay stuck between the pins. A mechanical pencil has a straight lead and may make intermittent contact

I just used a pencil on my P5WD2 Prem mother board 10 min ago, and it worked like a charm, didnt have to take the motherboard out of the case and it took me 5 min including sharpening a pencil.

It over volts by 0.02v at full load. And it over volts by 0.10-0.11 compared to BIOS settings. So i have to set voltage to 1.26v in bios and i get 1.35v. And at full load it goes up to 1.37v.

Great mod, thanks again.

Last edited:
Hello,
What can I do for the P5wdg2-ws? The ghetto mod sounds good since I dont know how to solder resistors or where to get them. The droop is annoying, anything above 1.51V and I get "overvoltage/ overclock fail" error at POST.

hotrippr said:
Hello,
What can I do for the P5wdg2-ws? The ghetto mod sounds good since I dont know how to solder resistors or where to get them. The droop is annoying, anything above 1.51V and I get "overvoltage/ overclock fail" error at POST.

I wouldn't recommend the pencil mod for the WS. The circuitry is probably different for the regulators and the WS may have dual ADP3181 chips. Modding only 1 chip may fry something.

Epox4life said:
lol, I might try this pencil mod.
Since my board droops from 1.68 to 1.6 @ 5.4GHz.

i used a mechanical pencil, that has the lead come out of it.

i sharpened it on a piece of paper and shoved it in, snapped it off and its been going strong for 2+ weeks now

Aww hell... Now where the hell am I going to find a pencil!

I haven't SEEN a pencil in like YEARS.

A8N32??

shmadz said:
Wicked, I'll check this weekend and report back monday. Quick question, Will a mechanical pencil lead work? I can't believe how hard it is to find an old school pencil around here, lol.

Were you able to do the pencil mod on your A8N32? I have the same board and wanted to know if it works.

Thanks

I tried it (the pencil mod) on my p5wd2 premium and it works great

I now set 1.22 V in the bios to get 1.26-1.27 on windows (cpu-z and speedfan)

It was impossible for me to stay at 3.8 ghz with such a low voltage before due to 0.1V vdrop on full load, now I'm at 4.2 ghz stable and the vcore just goes up to 1.28 V when i'm under sp2004 and 3dmark 2006

many thanks to proth

ps : need to wait till winter to try the 4.5 ghz at 1.30 v because my noctua nh-u12 (aircooled) have trouble now on full load (67°c)

Proth would the same vcore mod work on a P5LD2? I want to the "getto mod" to my board it's got a sick .10 Vcore droop. With the current bios I'm using it will not boot if your select anything over 1.5125 so under load my chips are only seeing 1.4125 and I need more Vcore to make my 805 bench stable over 3950Mhz. I figured if anyone can help it's you proth. Thanks

Im going to try this tomorrow on my P5WD2-E. With my 805 I have to set it to 1.475 to get 1.38 load so that it is stable at 4.0ghz to get stable at 4.2, I have to set it to 1.6v which is way to high.

dwschoon said:
Im going to try this tomorrow on my P5WD2-E. With my 805 I have to set it to 1.475 to get 1.38 load so that it is stable at 4.0ghz to get stable at 4.2, I have to set it to 1.6v which is way to high.
After vdroop my 805 needed about 1.4125v to run stable on that board and on p5w dh at 4.0ghz

I forgot to post back my results. With the mod on my "E" board, I am able to run 4ghz stable with the vcore set to "auto" in the bios. This gives me an Idle vcore of 1.38 and a load vcore of 1.40-1.41. My 805 is stable at 4.2ghz with a bios setting of 1.325. Actual vcore readings are 1.43 idle and 1.45-1.46 load.

I did the pencil droop mod on my p5p800-se bout 5 days ago works nice increases cpu temp for sure with very little droop now used a mech pencil 1.35 is my starting vcore it runs 1.34-1.35 full load and at idle 1.37.

Back