• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P8Z68 UEFI bios boot up time slow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimmyG

My P8Z68 (see sig) boot time has always been rather slow. I have win 7 64 bit installed on an SSD. The bios boot time is around 30 -40 seconds. The windows boot time is less than 10 seconds. Is this a characteristic of the UEFI bios or do I have a problem???:shrug:

From what i can read and gather there is no strait answer to this, why because it involves your Bios settings and your Start up menu. As well as your Apps as well Jimmy. You can trim them all down to a minimum so to speed up things, but let you come back and say to us what you think here. AJ. :shrug: ;)

I don't think windows is the problem. From the start of the windows boot, it takes less than 10 seconds. Everything is snappy in windows.

I've looked through the UEFI bios and can't find anything that seem unusual. Most settings are default. There is no "fast boot" setting like in older bios's.

I was hoping that someone on the forum had a setup somewhat like mine and could tell me their boot times.

This may have to do with the delay setting on the BIOS screen. There is a setting related to how long to wait for the 'DEL' key to be pressed. I have mine set to like 3 seconds and my boot times are fine. About 15 secs from power press to desktop.

Z

This may have to do with the delay setting on the BIOS screen. There is a setting related to how long to wait for the 'DEL' key to be pressed. I have mine set to like 3 seconds and my boot times are fine. About 15 secs from power press to desktop.

Z

Where do I find this delay setting? I looked for it with no success.

I looked too and I cannot seem to find it now either. But it seems there is a setting related to how long the BIOS will display the boot screen.

Z

I was also thinking you may need a BIOS update. I know there were some issues with slow BIOS boots in earlier versions. Also as stated do you have the Marvel controller on and do you see it booting its Controller BIOS? I think the RAID booting will slow you down. If its not in use then disable it.

Z

SOLVED

The Marvell controller was the problem. I disabled it and the bios posts reasonably quickly. Thanks Soulcatcher668 and Zuzzz! :thup:

AWESOME !!! I have a similar board and really love it. Glad you got it solved.

Z

Back