• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

paid too much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafaphoto

My Dad just ordered his new computer, I think he paid too much!
but he did get one that is already built and all. I am looking at building my new computer soon, and was just curious at what you think about this.

My imaginary comuter: Athlon xp 2500 barton, corsair 2x 256 ram, Abit nf7-s mobo, g-force dt 256mb video card, harddrive probably a 20 to 30- gig 7200. Built in my existing case, will have to get a new one to OC. Cost- 360 to $400

My Dad's ordered computer:Alvio, AMD Desktop 2050 Athlon XP NForce DDR-266&400 Series Featuring A7N266-VM 1 637.89 637.89
* AMD, Athlon XP Barton Core 2700+,333, 512k, Box
* DYNATRON, Dynatron AMD Most Recommended Fan up to XP 2700+
* ASUS, A7N8X-VM, Socket A, NForce2, DDR-400, 8X AGP, Audio, Video, LAN, Retail
* SAMSUNG, 512MB PC3200 DDR, 400MHz, Non-ECC
* WESTERN DIGITAL, 80.0GB Caviar Ultra DMA/100 7200rpm, 8MB Cache, oem
* House Brand, 64Mb 3D Extreme Video Accelerator
* House Brand, 32BIT Dolby Digital 3D Sound
* MITSUMI, 1.44Mb 3.5 MITSUMI Floppy Drive, oem
* SAMSUNG, 12x DVD-ROM Drive, IDE, oem
* AOpen, 52x24x52 CD-RW Drive, IDE, Black, Oem
* House Brand, Please Make A Selection!
* US ROBOTICS, USR 56k v.90 3094 PCI WinModem w/voice, oem
* House Brand, Case Fan, 2in. x 2in.
* Alvio, MidTower, Deluxe, 400Watt, Beige,USB, ATX
* MICROSOFT, Windows XP, Home Edition, oem
* LOGITECH, Logitech Classic Keyboard , PS/2, Oem
* LABTEC, 2-Button Mouse, PS/2, Scroll, Optical
* LABTEC, LCS1060 Spin-60 2 Piece Speakers, Retail
* Alvio, Alvio Silver Warranty One year parts, One year Service

Subtotal: 637.89
Shipping Charges: 32.67
Tax: 0.00
TOTAL: 670.56

well Im far too lazy to check out the whole price but it does has windows xp home which is a 80$ value at minimum. But last time I checked the 2700+ had a thoroughbred core not a barton which would mean it doesnt have the 512k cache just a 256k I could be wrong of course. My guess is cheapest you could build it yourself is a lil over 600$ but they did give u a warranty which will probably prove to be alot of hassle should anything break but always nice anyways.

Hey Steve978...looks like you are a Doctor Who fan LOL. I remember when I was 3 years old hiding behind the couch watching the show because I was scared of the "Daleks". Your sig is a picture of um..."Davros" was his name right?

Rofl I cant believe you know Doctor Who thats funny, not really a huge fan I watched it when I was living in england but mostly I just think he looks cool :D

I guess that is what I meant. I don't know a whole lot about building computers, but after doing a lot of reasearch I thought he could have gotten something a little better for the price.

I talked to him today, he just got tired of reasearching and compairing prices and such and just said 'screw it!' and bought one!

E

That price doesn't seem too bad, but I thought the only Bartons were 2500+, 2800+, 3000+, and 3200+. I could be wrong though.

I don't believe there is a Barton 2700+ as well. After checking both AMD's website, and Newegg's webpage (to see if there are any for sale), it appears that there is a 2700+ @ 333mhz, but it only has a 256kb L2 Cache, meaning a regular XP, rather than the 512kb L2 Cache of the Barton.

As for the price, I'm too lazy to check every part, but it doesn't appear to be that bad. Your dad may be overpaying a little, but not too badly from my estimation.

Back