• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Painting Heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not a good idea imho

Paint doesn't have the same thermal conductivity than the metal under it...
In addition to that, the coat may really not be flat at all, creating hot spot and reducing the contact surface.

First question is what colour are you going to be painting it? Since there are many metal based paints that will do the job however the colour selection is extremely limited.

TBH if it is purely cosmetic, painting a HS will give at most a 4-5'c drop which is quite significant imo but if if that is not a concern it can be done.

First question is what colour are you going to be painting it? Since there are many metal based paints that will do the job however the colour selection is extremely limited.

TBH if it is purely cosmetic, painting a HS will give at most a 4-5'c drop which is quite significant imo but if if that is not a concern it can be done.

Painting them to Black.

Painting them to Black.

Should be able to get a metal paint that will do this just fine.. Just keep in mind your temps will rise a bit :( There's some thermally conductive metal paints that are opaque rather than nice and glossy out there.. But they don't look spectacular (Think the stuff they put on radiators)

You'll reduce the efficiency and see a corresponding rise in core temperatures. That said, it probably won't be huge.
Go with as thin a coat as possible, the thicker the paint the hotter things will get.

The Similar Threads box down below the thread's posts has a few threads on the concept. Nobody seems to have actually tried it.

Preparing the heatsink for painting is more trouble than it's worth IMO.

But if you are determined to do it check out what paint people use when painting motorbike exhaust downpipes, and how they prepare.

See if you can find someone to powder coat the heat sink, or do the "black nickel" plating many heat sinks use.
Heat sinks would max out at 100 degree C/212 degree F. Should be able to find a coating to cope with that.
Hard part will be getting Aluminum adherence. Or the steel fins.

Probably spay a couple thin coats of an Aluminum/Silver paint, followed by engine block black. Someone has to paint Aluminum engine parts.

Not a good idea at all. Paint no matter if it is a metal coating one or not will insulate and cause heat build up. Bad idea.

I wanted to painting heatsink when I got new heatsink. So I have one question:
Is painting heatsink with HEAT-RESISTANT PAINT still act as insulator<

bad idea... heat-resistant paint is even worse as it will have even lower thermal conductivity then normal pain.

The best way to change the color of a heat-sink is to electroplate it with a thermally conductive metal like copper; since you want to make it black, try nickle-plating... you might be able to get a black look with the right additive to the bath... Anything else you do will likely make your heatsink junk

If your going for something as simple as black I would try to find one thats already black they exist, and a few of them are actually really solid. Otherwise Id say the thinnest coat possible over the core of the HS and a few coats around the outside should serve your purpose without severely effecting performance.

Check out the Phanteks units, from the standpoint of already colored.

anodize it to any color you want. I would recommend black. Henry Ford figured out that black dissipated heat a tiny bit faster than other colors, hence making all his cars black. "You can choose any color, as long as it's black."

Back