• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Papst 80x80x38 fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BLKGTI,Can I get dibbs on your surplus fans? :D Just kidding Dood.Here's a link to what I was thinking about on the ride.
Its a sweet machine.Bet you can't wait to test your new HS the SP-97! THE FANMAN:cool:

LINK

archilochus said:
BLKGTI,Can I get dibbs on your surplus fans?

Heh, I sure have enough of them. I think I like fans, because they're the pretty much the only purely mechanical part of the PC and because it's so easy to try different types of fans in a system. Of course, it doesn't hurt that most fans are pretty inexpensive, making the try-out process fairly painless financially.

Speaking of fans, have you ever tried these?

dynatron-crossflow-3z.jpg

I have one with another on the way. I'm planning on using them as intakes on the Lian-Li. Even though they spin at ~7,000rpm, they're relatively quiet. I'll have them on a fan controller, too. What's interesting is that they're rated at 13-14cfm, yet they push a wide beam of air that can be literally felt from a foot and a half away. It's very impressive. Here's a review link I came across.

Dood I've thought about those for sure.My plan was to put it at the bottom of the mobo,blowing towards the top of the case.This
would push a curtain of air up the mobo cooling it.Did you check out that other HI-PERFORMANCE rig? THE FANMAN:cool:

I got you a link to a pic STAN03, About your q above! Thats a cool
little fan. (thread jack, sorry)

HDD COOLER PIC :D

Blkgti,Have you ever run one of those Aero blowers on your HS yet? I forget,but I think 7Keys was very curious about the results of said fan on a HS. Thanks, THE FANMAN:cool:

Last edited:
archilochus said:
I got you a link to a pic STAN03, About your q above! Thats a cool
little fan. (thread jack, sorry)

HDD COOLER PIC :D

It's hard to tell from the pic, but it does look like the same blower.

Blkgti,Have you ever run one of those Aero blowers on your HS yet? I forget,but I think 7Keys was very curious about the results of said fan on a HS. Thanks, THE FANMAN:cool:

I tried installing it on the SLK-900a, but had little luck. I need to fabricate some stand-offs for the Aero's mounting holes first.

archilochus said:
Dood I've thought about those for sure.My plan was to put it at the bottom of the mobo,blowing towards the top of the case.This
would push a curtain of air up the mobo cooling it.

Ya know, I've thought about doing something similar, but decided not to pursue that idea once I got this blower in my hands. It draws air from the same place that would rest on the case floor to push the air up. I'm sure that something could be developed to lift it off the case floor a bit, though.

Did you check out that other HI-PERFORMANCE rig? THE FANMAN:cool:

Of course! It's a nice sled, but personally I prefer a ride that weighs a lot less and that can turn on a dime.

Can't you use a 80mm x 25mm fans body for a spacer or standoff? Thats what I had in mind.But until I get the fan I won't know for sure! Been looking at some higher powered Centrifugal Blowers in the mean time.What is your source on the Papst fans?
THE FANMAN:cool:

archilochus said:
Can't you use a 80mm x 25mm fans body for a spacer or standoff? Thats what I had in mind.But until I get the fan I won't know for sure!

I got rid of all my junk a few months ago and now have no fans I'd be willing to modify. I've been menaning to look around at work for a 80mm fan we could spare, but obviously haven't done so.

Been looking at some higher powered Centrifugal Blowers in the mean time.What is your source on the Papst fans?
THE FANMAN:cool:

This one looks really interesting. I might just get it and then try to figure out a way to attach it to the SP-97.

I bought the Papst fans here. They have other fun stuff, too.

blkgti said:

IIRC, it's ~40cfm @ ~36dBA. That said, IME, CFM/dBA ratings are almost never indicative of the fan's actual performance.

It says 16v/8v DC on the fan though. So does this rating correspond to the 16v input?
In a 12v DC PC case you'd be undervolting them a bit... altough that can be fine to prevent annoying sound production.

FIZZ3 said:
It says 16v/8v DC on the fan though. So does this rating correspond to the 16v input?

I would think so, but naturally one has no way of knowing for sure. It doesn't make much difference, though, as CFM/dBA manufacturer's ratings seem all over the place with respect to actual performance.

In a 12v DC PC case you'd be undervolting them a bit... altough that can be fine to prevent annoying sound production.

They weren't that loud when I ran them powered from the rear Molex on a TC550, but I've yet to actually try them inside the case. I'm expecting them not to be very quite, though, as their all-metal construction may ring a bit when attached to the case. With that in mind, I plan on using Vantec silicone vibration dampeners during the install.

blkgti said:
They weren't that loud when I ran them powered from the rear Molex on a TC550, but I've yet to actually try them inside the case. I'm expecting them not to be very quite, though, as their all-metal construction may ring a bit when attached to the case. With that in mind, I plan on using Vantec silicone vibration dampeners during the install.

Yeah that may be a good idea for a metal fan. I've never had 'ring issues' with normal plastic fans up to 120x38mm, but my pump does have a case-shaking effect. A bit of package foam solves that handily though.

Back