• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Build Help - Budget around $2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoctorRDG

Looking to buy a PC, but I don't know how to build one. If there's a service that offers that, please link it below. If you are recommending parts, please choose from a place that builds/ships PCs.

My budget is around $2000 for mostly gaming. I'm coming from console gaming to PC, so everything that involves PCs are fairly new to me. I will occasionally stream and/or do video editing as well.

Ideally, I would like this case. Here's the link. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139024.

If you guys could spec a build that includes two 24" monitors, a mouse, keyboard, 2TB internal HDD and speakers that would be fantastic. I will also be purchasing Windows 10. I really appreciate your help and thank for your time.

-Doctor RDG

DoctorRDG, welcome to the forum.

Build the Pc yourself it's not hard, just takes some patience and planning. I'll revisit this thread in the morning and put something together.

here ya go. building something good on that budget is a tall order if it has to include 2 monitors and speakers. you'll have to make major sacrifices to cpu and video card.
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

EDIT: Ok I think I got it. go to the link for cyberpower.com and click "load configuration" at the top. Then type in 1HKXQT to see the build i came up with. It should blaze through any game out for awhile and meets all of your requirements except for going a little over budget by $124.

Last edited:
Building it yourself isnt hard at all, especially with youtube nowadays! I can get a better rig if you build it yourself. All the parts come with a warranty so you wont have to worry about that. Its basically plug and play, its that simple.

If you live near a microcenter, they charge around $140 to assemble things for you. That would at least allow you to pick all the components yourself. Typically the stuff you (or we ;)) would pick is higher quality than a pre-built company like cyberpowerpc. If I recall, I think microcenter allows you to bring parts not purchased there as well so you can still shop around.

That said, it is pretty simple and there are a ton of guides out there. :thup:

Thanks for your input! I'm gonna give it a try. I'm not computer savy by any means but as long as there's a guide I can go by I guess it won't be too bad.

Now that I've decided to build a PC, what direction would you recommend someone who's never dealt with computer assembly to go?

Last edited:
Right choice :)

Give us some time and someone will put together a parts picker list for your budget and needs. I'm busy at the moment, but I'll check back later

What resolution did you want on the monitors? Will you be gaming on both at once or just one (will affect GPU requirements)?

I imagine standard 1920x1080 on both should be fine, though I'll only be gaming on one monitor. I'm a little unsure about whether higher resolution matters and whether 144hz is necessary with the budget I am using, keeping in mind future upgrade potential, I'll go with whatever you recommend as you're probably a lot more knowledgeable than I here :) - Doc

Negative. Atleast not where I live in Texas.
Ok that would have saved you a few bucks but the build I posted is what I would do. There are things we could change to get it closer to 2k if you want but that's a darn good build for a bit over $1700.

Yeah I just looked at your build. It looks pretty solid! Idk what to compare it too seeing that I really don't know much about PC builds. Either way, thanks! I'll see what others have to offer as well. Much appreciated.

if it's mostly for gaming then the video card is the most important thing as long as nothing else is lacking. here's my second attempt. i couldn't bring myself to add anything i wouldn't be happy with so it's a bit over budget and i didn't bother with mouse and keyboard because those things are highly personal. you'll have to put this one together yourself. i stuck with ddr2400 with slightly lower latency because it shouldn't really matter on a quad but i can be changed easily. just trying to keep things a bit on the simple side since this is your first attempt.

dr's pc.JPG

Thanks Brando for your input! I'll continue to compare the builds that I receive from everyone and choose the one I would think fits my criteria. Once again, thank you!

i failed to notice the previous post where you said you were only gaming on one monitor. you might be able to save some money on the video card and power supply if it's just 1080p on one screen. still, if it was me i would spend more on a really nice 1440p monitor for gaming and get a dirt cheap one for the other stuff as long as it's not for photo editing or something. in that case stick with the 980ti and float on a cloud of fps bliss with superb visuals.

The things that I would change is single monitor 27" I really like my PLS Samsung 4ms GTG and 60Hz link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W03KG2719&cm_re=s27e390h-_-24-022-207-_-Product is just perfect for me gaming watching videos surfing the net also the best thing is the viewing angle also Color.

When you buy a monitor there is no one perfect monitor that can do all things well like gaming or viewing angel or colors also Hz 60-144 or change GTG 8-1ms. A TN panel is best for response time GTG 1ms and 144 HZ the pixels lay flat best for gaming. IPS and PLS is best for video work and viewing angel color. The pixels in IPS (In-Plane Switching) and PLS (Plane line switching) are perpendicular pixels and a hole lot more things they do.

I would also purchase a SSD 850 EVO 500GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K2GN1590&cm_re=850_evo-_-20-147-373-_-Product it loads your programs into memory fast and stores the data fast.

A SSD vs HDD the hard disk drive have a spinning platter, it's mechanical and slower. The SSD is solid state Drive has no moving parts it allot faster than the HDD.

Those builds seem pretty close to what I'd put together.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BhF6CJ

I went with a smaller, mATX build because I don't see the point of a full tower nowadays. If OP prefers a larger case, you just need to swap out the motherboard to an ATX model and pick a case you like (Fractal Arc Midi R2, Fractal Define S, Phanteks Enthoo Pro, most corsairs - those will all have pretty high quality and similar features). You could also go even smaller to an ITX build ;)

212 EVO
asrock z170m pro4s
ripjaws V 2x8GB 3000C15
250GB 850 EVO
2TB WD blue
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
evga supernova 650 G2
Windows 10 Home

Total for that stuff will be $850, leaving a ton of room in the budget for the following:

GPU
monitors
mouse
keyboard
speakers

I don't know a ton about speakers, but I have been very happy with mine (Logitech Z623) and got them on sale for $60ish.

Mouse and Keyboard, as mentioned, are extremely personal. You could easily spend $200 or just $30. Depends on what you're happy with. Personally, I will never use another rubber dome keyboard. Mechanical, all the way. I have a Ducky Premier and a Cooler Master Rapid, both with mx-browns (yet another personal decision...). The Cooler Master is nice, but the Ducky really is on another level. Especially if you type a lot, I would plan on spending $120-150. It will change the way you think about typing :) Mouse, I have used Logitech MX518s and now a G400s for several years and like them. Big time, personal preference there, however. I would plan on spending $45-50 on a mouse.

Assuming you go mechanical on the keyboard, those 3 peripherals bring your total to $1100ish, so $900 left for a GPU and monitors.

I think you really have just two options here:

*(2) 1080P displays

*(1) 1440P display (likely a Korean IPS - which are pretty solid actually, I have one :) - or something used) and (1) cheaper 1080P display

Gaming on a 1080P (option 1) display is a great fit for a GTX 970. A 980 or 980Ti would be overkill for 1080P (unless you're trying to drive a really high refresh rate :shrug:).

GTX 980 is a pretty good fit for ~60-70FPS @ 1440P. A 980 Ti would be ideal, obviously, but you will be over-budget.

980 and 1440P would be my pick. There is a noticeable difference between gaming @ 1080P and 1440P.

4gb vram is so 2 years ago :). there are some crazy games coming out the next couple of years. 980 ti is the only viable choice if you can afford one. do the right thing op. on the other hand i agree about an ssd with a cheaper 2tb spinner drive. i was just trying to stick with your game plan and to be honest i'm curious what it's for. does it have to be super reliable or just a basic hard drive?

Back