• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Build Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CRY&PRAY

Registered
Hello guys, i have a huge problem, yesterday my i7 990x died during C4D, black screen and MB not posting... :(:(:(

I'm left with a HD7990, 3 Sticks of ram (CML8GX3M1A1600C10B) and all the other things like HDDs and PSU.

I'll use this RIG for GAMING and for RENDERING (C4D and Vegas)

I have a budget of 600€ and I live in Italy, I've thought about these pieces to get for my new build:

Noctua 775/1156/1366/AMD/AM2/AM2+/AM3, NH-D14 75€

Intel Ci7 Box Processore CPU 1150 i7-4790K, 4.00 GHz 340€

Asus Mod 1150 Z97 Maximus VII Hero (ATX) Scheda Madre, Nero 192€

Now the real questions are

1) there is any better than that for the same budget? something that can be upgraded in the future.
2) the RAMs that I have will probably work, but as far I can see i have a TRIPLE CHANNEL config, and the new MB will support DUAL CHANNEL, so I'll probably stick in only 2 sticks. I have a friend that would like to buy me the kit for 120€, is better to sell them and buy something else or just stick with 2 of them until I get something better?

------
This new CPU sounds cheap to me, my old i7 990x used to have 3 Channels, not 2. Used more power 130w vs 88w and had more cores 6 vs 4. I don't know, I've always got the BEST or NOTHING but now i'm having some budget issues. Any help on this build would be great.

Waiting ideas :) and using a Pentium 4 (3.34 Ghz with a HD7990)

Yeah, seem that cpu is pretty decent, maybe I'm just to negative right now, Nice rams but the problem is that I live in Italy and they cost 200€ here.

http://www.amazon.it/G-SKill-PC3-19...2&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=2x8GB+GSkill+TridentX

So it's not worth for me, selling mine at 120€ and consider that I have a HUGE noctua cooler on so I'll remove the fancy heatspreader from them. And on other thing, the i7 990x (4 generations old) was still KICKINGASS and now i see these cheap 80watt cpus... that will probably last 2 year max. And The motherboard is just 30€ cheaper and I'll lose a lot of features that are on the Hero, even those useless one ;)

I wouldn't worry about changing the RAM, but I would use 2 sticks and sell one.

4790K, Z97 Extreme6, and the NH-D14 would do nicely for you :)
Here's a link: http://it.pcpartpicker.com/p/4TjWBm

The Extreme6 is a much better board than the Hero.
What features exactly are you losing with the Extreme6 that the Hero has? I see none.

That's what I will probably do for the rams, or get a 4th one, they're on amazon for 80 €, not cheap but if i get the other MB i could think about it. Watching now all the differences between the mobos, still loving the Audio part of the Hero as well as the Colors (The rig is red and black). And i've planned to OC a little ;)

It's like apples and oranges: you compare a €320 CPU with the 4 years old top of the line €1000 one...

The 5960x (same market segment/price than the 990X) thrashes the 4 gen old cpu.

Do you know if it's the mobo or CPU that died?

If it's the mobo, I am sure you can get a used one on the cheap.

The Hero's audio solution is nothing more than a mid-range Realtek chip with modified drivers.
The Extreme6 uses the top-range Realtek chip.

Isn't your RAM blue? Matches the Extreme6.

If you're that worried about black/red, go for the GA-Z97X-Gaming 7

Pretty sure is the CPU, as the mobo gives me access to the ROG Connect and gives me datas like voltages and i could flash the bios too, It's been 2 months that my pc used to lost a stick of ram, it was like 24 gb then BSOD and bam 16 gb, so every time that happened i've removed the cpu and reinstalled until the pc would give me back 24 gb. Never known if it was CPU problem or a bad contact, happened that if i fastened too tight the CPU cooler it wouldn't show me 24gb. Then a week ago did the same thing, but this time i've remounted the CPU tightening down as it should be done and flashed the bios, here my 24 gb back, worked for 2 days then BSOD and got back to 16 gb, reflashed the bios everything stock settings, got into windows as normal. Two days ago while i was renedering it did a black screen, no more booting... now it just turn on and the CPU led is steady all the time.

For the new build i'm choosing between the ASRock and the MSI Mb, I've saw the MSI z97-gd65 for 170€ looks nice too. I don't know guys, screw the color, which one is the best?

ASRock Extreme6 160€
MSI z97-GD65 170€
GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 180€

I don't think I will have the money for the 4th stick of ram with any of the mobo up here.

I'd go ASRock out of those three, it's an awesome board.

Also consider the Z97 Extreme4, there's not too many differences between it and the Extreme6.
It'll get you 30 euros cheaper, which would get you closer to another stick of RAM. (Which would help with big renders)

What about a bent pin on the socket?

Can't you borrow a cpu compatible with your mobo? Just to make sure, you know...

The 990X still have a pretty good resell value.

Yeah probably i'll chose one of those ASRock, but i'm not 100% sure, I'm used to HUGE Things to dissipated 150 watt of power of exteme series cpus, then i see those mobo with a small heatsink, they looks to cheap to me :) i know that efficency has improved a lot but if you tell me to chose between a Lamborghini 1000 Hp and a Military humvee i'll probably go with the Humvee ;) don't if you get my ideas

More power =/= better
Look at nVidia's new GTX 9XX series for example. The 980 gives performance on par with or better than a 780Ti, but uses almost 100W less power.
The new Intel chips will run circles around your 990X (especially in gaming) and they use half the power.

atminside you're right, still i won't accepted it :p, as the manu2b question is that i don't have ny cpu to test with...

we'll i'm choosing between the two asrock mobos, i trust you guys that probably have more experience than me ;)

I'd personally go for the Extreme4 and another RAM stick, given your usage :thup:

Back