• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Build Living Room: Need Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

remington50

I have no idea what I am doing. I do know that once I get the cash I want a living room PC that will be able to play ARMA 3 and Empire total war. I know. Weird games. Those are really all I care about. So here it goes.

My "monitor" will be a television. A big one. It is what I have and I'm trying to keep costs down. I would like to be able to play in 1080p. So. Where do I start? What do I read? How do I educate myself on this? First parts? I want to keep this under $1000 and under $800 if possible. Can anyone help?

Yes, you Can max games@1080p with a below $1000 budget.

Someone will come with a nice build for you from pc part picked soon (not handy for me on my 4" smartphone, lol!).

I would go with something like:

Intel 6700k+z170 warlock extreme4+2x4GB ddr4 gskill 3200/cl14 (+/- $550)
EVGA 500w power supply $50
250GB see (sandman, Samsung, crucial...) $60
Graphic card: either a nvidia 1060 or an AMD Rx 480 $250
Any case you like that supports ATX motherboards (all cases except the tiny ones for half) in the $50 range.

Cooler: hyper 212 evo $30
You can also go with a mATX motherboard (asrock z170 extreme4-m), and a small case.

It just below the 1k mark and runs everything yoh throw at it @1080p for a couple of years to come. And then just upgrade the GPU and you're good to 2 more years.

You could go 6600k I stead of 6700k and save a hundred bucks, but I would take the 6700k and it's hyper threading (4 physical cores+4 virtu cores), as the games you play are quite CPU bound.

Sorry for the typos..

Edit: the processors I suggested are unlocked and designed for over clocking. You can get a non-k version for a few dollars less, with a cheaper motherboard (shave a 100 extra), but you would limit yourself and the CPU/mobo combo would be obsolete before an over lockable setup.

Last edited:
1080p is all we need to know on the monitor. They all have hdmi and so do modern gpus so you are set there.

My question is WHEN are you going to purchase? If it's after the new year, we are going to want to wait on a few of the major parts (cpu/mobo/gpu) because of new releases.

1080p is all we need to know on the monitor. They all have hdmi and so do modern gpus so you are set there.

My question is WHEN are you going to purchase? If it's after the new year, we are going to want to wait on a few of the major parts (cpu/mobo/gpu) because of new releases.

Yea. It will be a while. I think I may need to reboot the thread with a different title. I got a better idea on how to word this. I was busy at the range when I wrote that earlier post lol.

Back