• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Flashes on and Immediately Shuts Off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KillerNuma123

Registered
At first, I thought it was likely that it was the PSU, but I tested the PSU pretty thoroughly and hooked up a friend's, only to have the exact same problem - so it's not the PSU. I completely disassembled the PC and reassembled, trying to boot to BIOS with only essential hardware (mobo, proc, cooler, one stick of RAM, one GPU (there isn't an integrated GPU)). Same result. So it isn't a short out in the case, and the problem has to be with one of the essential components.

With the type of problem that this is, with the PC only flashing on before cutting out, it has to be either the RAM, CPU, or motherboard. In addition, after one attempt to power on, it doesn't even flash on when the power button is pressed until the PSU is turned completely off and then back on. I've tried it with several different sticks of RAM, and I highly doubt that they could all go bad at once, so that almost certainly isn't the problem either.

This leaves the CPU and the motherboard. I know that CPU death is fairly rare, but I think it is a possibility. I have an Intel Core i7 3960X (6 core, 12 thread, 3.3GHz) that was donated to me from Intel (it costs over $1000 retail), so this possibility is pretty terrifying. I had overclocked the CPU in the past - up to 5GHz at one point - but never for too long and when everything crashed, it was on stock frequency. How likely is it that this is the CPU or how likely is it that it is the motherboard? And how do I test this, before pursuing any RMA's or warranty redemption?

Specs--
Intel Core i7 3960X (6 core, 12 thread, 3.3GHz)
Corsair H80 cooler
Asus P9X79 LGA 2011 motherboard
8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
2 x Radeon HD 5770's in CrossFire
Antec Earthwatts 650 watt PSU
1TB 7200RPM WD Caviar Green HDD
Xion CyborgX case

can you test your CPu with a friends board and your friends CPU with your board?? that would tell for sure what is bad and whats not. Other wise it's hard to tell .

can you test your CPu with a friends board and your friends CPU with your board?? that would tell for sure what is bad and whats not. Other wise it's hard to tell .

I thought of that, but the issue is that my processor and motherboard use the Intel LGA 2011 socket, which is still pretty rare - only a few processors use it, and I think the cheapest one is around $400 or more. As a result, none of my friends have any processors or motherboards with this socket.

well i would buy a new mobo 2011 cheap one (from overclockers uk they have a 7 day money back if you dont like the goods ) just cost me the delvery and collection cost . so i could test out the cpu . do you have a good shop with good returns near you ? or you could just rma both the cpu and mobo . with out getting your hands on a 2011 mobo or cpu it is very hard to tell witch one is not working . hope it gives you some help .

Back