• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC for parents

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSM4Life

Hello all,

Been out the game for a while and I am looking at building my parents a PC. Just need help with a few recommendations. I don't think they need a video card since most of their time spent on the PC is surfing web, paying bills etc. So if you can help me get started I would appreciate it. I am not looking to go completely barebones since they dont upgrade often so this will last them a while.
CPU- correct me if I am wrong but CPU's now have GPU's built into them? Are they any good? I was thinking about getting them a good CPU/GPU (combo if possible) then they wouldn't have to buy a video card.
Motherboard - I'd go with whatever is md tier since again, just surfing and such.
Memory- any recommendations
HD- I have a SSD
PSU- I can figure out as well

I know the motherboard and the CPU are the two most important components so If you can point me in the right direction I should be able to figure the rest out from there. I am looking to buy soon but not right now so I can keep my eye out for deals. Thank you guys.

Do you need a case?

Do you need an optical drive?

Do you need monitor, keyboard and mouse?

Do you need to purchase an OS?

Many processors have built in graphics but no all do.

Any PC built with modern components will be overkill for "basic" usage (web browsing, etc) and you'd probably be better off buying a lower end retail system.

If you are set on building the system, yes, the integrated graphics in modern processors will be fine. I'll let someone else spec out an actual system.

Do you need a case?

Do you need an optical drive?

Do you need monitor, keyboard and mouse?

Do you need to purchase an OS?

Many processors have built in graphics but no all do.
I can figure out the case.
I already have a new SSD for them.
Monitor no, keyboard and mouse yes.
They will need windows . I was going to try and find one of those bundles that includes a copy.
The processor / MB is what I really need help deciding on. I have a tendency for overkill, lol.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Any PC built with modern components will be overkill for "basic" usage (web browsing, etc) and you'd probably be better off buying a lower end retail system.

If you are set on building the system, yes, the integrated graphics in modern processors will be fine. I'll let someone else spec out an actual system.

I hate buying retail systems !! I can't even remember the last time I bought a premade system. I totally get where you are coming from though.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. It looks as though a 300w micro ATX PSU should do the job . Hows this look before I buy ?

Rosewill Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case with Dual Fans - FBM-01
Item #:N82E16811147123
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$34.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-16GVK
Item #:N82E16820232882
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$61.99

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G

$8.99

Add Arctic Silver AS5-3.5G Thermal Compound to cart

Intel Core i3-10100 Comet Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1200 65W BX8070110100 Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

$128.99

EVGA 400 N1 100-N1-0400-L1 400W Power Supply

$39.99

ASRock H410M-HDV LGA 1200 Intel H410 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99

Logitech MK270 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo 920-004536 - USB 2.0 RF Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard & Mouse

$29.99
$24.99

Add Logitech MK270 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo 920-004536 - USB 2.0 RF Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard & Mouse to cart
Grand Total: $364.92
Add all to cart

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please visit our Customer Service Contact Us Page.

Once You Know, You Newegg.

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team

Last edited:
Agreed with thideras. Unless you live with your parents and can help support when/if something goes wrong, I'd get a low-mid end Lenovo/dell/HP and call it a day. I ended up doing that as gifts for my parents. Saves me a boat load of effort making sure everything continues to work. If something goes wrong one support number and RMA point to use. Could get an i3 or it, 8gb of ram, windows and an SSD for a couple hundred bucks

Agreed with thideras. Unless you live with your parents and can help support when/if something goes wrong, I'd get a low-mid end Lenovo/dell/HP and call it a day. I ended up doing that as gifts for my parents. Saves me a boat load of effort making sure everything continues to work. If something goes wrong one support number and RMA point to use. Could get an i3 or it, 8gb of ram, windows and an SSD for a couple hundred bucks

I will look into this as well. Based off the parts the price is pretty reasonable. Not sure I am going to find a premade for that price range but I will look. Again I can't remember the last time I even purchased a prebuilt system but I will check it out. Not having issues would def be a plus but I tend to not have any issues when not overclocking anything. I just hate paying marked up prices for junk components.

Premade from newegg with the specs listed above seem to start @ $500.

Last edited:
My only suggestion for change in our components list is the AS 5 thermal compound. It has fallen out of favor with the DIY crowd because it is electrically capacitive, needs curing time to achieve max efficiency and is more expensive than better competitors. Go For Arctic MX4. Did you notice you have wireless mouse and keyborad combo listed twice?

Don't cheap out on the PSU. EVGA is a reputable brand but the one you picked is at the bottom of their line. If the PSU goes it can take out other components with it such as motherboard and memory. Also, the fans on cheap PSU's tend to fail (bearings wear out) sooner than the ones on quality PSUs.

Last edited:
My only suggestion for change in our components list is the AS 5 thermal compound. It has fallen out of favor with the DIY crowd because it is electrically capacitive, needs curing time to achieve max efficiency and is more expensive than better competitors. Go For Arctic MX4. Did you notice you have wireless mouse and keyborad combo listed twice?

I did notice that. I will change it and switch the paste. Again, thank you for your time.

Certainly you can save a bunch of headaches building it yourself as you avoid a lot of proprietary bloatware that the various bulk builders add on such as diagnostic software, anti-virus, etc. Likewise you can set up Winderz to auto update if you don't have the time to go by occasionally and update their system rather than just enjoy their company. I update my own at my leisure and block the functions that I prefer, but on my wife's PC I set it to just auto update. No real hassles over the past few years and she doesn't understand enough to let it bother her.

You can also use remote desktop servicing software to do most things on their computer over the internet. There are some great tools for this that are free when used noncommercially. TeamViewer is maybe the easiest to use. AnyDesk is also good. The other thing about OEM mass produced machines is they are often so proprietary that when something has to be replaced or you want to upgrade a component it may not be possible to do with inexpensive aftermarket goodies.

The power efficiency of PSUs is rated by white>bronze>gold>platinum. Power efficiency speaks to how much power is produced compared to how much the PSU consumes in making power. In and of itself it is a fairly unimportant parameter. I mean, it's not like it's going to make much of a dent in your electric bill one way or the other. However, it is probably indirectly related to the overall quality of the PSU which is important. By the way, Thermaltake doesn't get good press around here for PSUs. Corsair does. PSUs are just really expensive right now.

I will look into this as well. Based off the parts the price is pretty reasonable. Not sure I am going to find a premade for that price range but I will look. Again I can't remember the last time I even purchased a prebuilt system but I will check it out. Not having issues would def be a plus but I tend to not have any issues when not overclocking anything. I just hate paying marked up prices for junk components.

Premade from newegg with the specs listed above seem to start @ $500.

You may not be finding current generation or i3/i5 machines, I generally keep an eye on slickdeals or see what's available at your local microcenter.

https://www.microcenter.com/search/...ch&N=4294967292+4294820733+39+40&myStore=true

That's what's close to me. All the ones there are refurbs, but it isn't always that way. That said, for browsing/email a 3xxx or 4xxx series intel is plenty. Just up to you what you want to do.

I would still recommend going with a newer Intel. It would have more staying power as technology changes over time and OP stated his parents will likely stick with the system for an extended period of time.

I would still recommend going with a newer Intel. It would have more staying power as technology changes over time and OP stated his parents will likely stick with the system for an extended period of time.

Agree 100%. This is why I don't go barebones.

Back