• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Keeps Rebooting after V/C Flash???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beginner

hello guys,

i just finished flashing my buddies bfg 5900xt oc to a modded 5950u bios. everything went fine with the flash.

i put the card in my pc, which has a 5900u gainward golden sample flash with a modded 5950u bios.

i removed my gw card and put in my buddies bfg. everything runs fine, as a matter of fact his card clocks and performs better than my gw(thanks madman22 for the bfg card).

only issue is that when i shutdown my pc, it reboots! i reflashed the card again just to make sure. it still reboots on a shutdown.

i put my gw card back and it shuts down fine.

is there something i'm missing? i don't want to return the card to my buddy with this problem. i made sure its seated properly, all connections are secure , etc.

before the flash, the card would shut down fine as well. the bios i flashed to was used by the previos owner with success, when i purchased the card for my buddy he reflashed it with the original bios.

thanks for looking and your help is greatly appreciated :)

sorry for not being clear fm,

i flashed my buddies card. i put the card in my pc(the pc i used to flash is an old dell that i use cause its super safe and my hardware testing machine). it runs and clocks fine but when i try to shutdown my pc, it wont, it just reboots.

its seated properly, all connections are secure. before i left for school i tried it again and same thing happened.

it could be an obscure setting in the bios that tells the card to reboot the system check out the bios and make sure everything is 100% if something doesnt look right i would suggest posting it up on these forums and ask what it does

Isolate the problem by running it in another machine, if it still reboots then its the cards fault and if it doesn't then it is either your machine or the combination of that specific card and your machine.

thanks for your posts guys,

i went through all the bios options and everything seems good.

i put this card in 2 other machines and it keeps rebooting. i cleared the cmos cause the mobo was clocked at 2.4ghz(xp-m/nf7). it stopped rebooting?

so i put it back up to 2.4ghz and it keeps rebooting??? i'll try 2.2ghz and see where that gets me.

Might be that the card is drawing more current when flashed and its just enough to destabilize the OC....
Actually I'm beat here, I've got no other theories.

thanks f_m,

i just did some more reading that might suggest to overclock on the card of 510/970 might be too much?

i'm going to lower the oc and see if that helps. i'm also wondering if there's some driver conflict??? my gw is also flashed to 5950u.

i'm going to finally install the card in my buddies pc, hopefully it wont reboot. if it does than i'll have to reflash with the original xt bios with the 436??/734??? clocks.

this card flashed really performs nicely.

Try a reflash. It's possible that even on a stable system one little bit or byte got corrupted during the flash and threw a monkey in the wrench.

I don't think it's a conflict between the Dell machine and the Card, because the issue follows the Card it seems.

I think it has something to do with the card. If a reflash doesn't cure it, go back to original BIOS (I hope you saved the original from THAT speciific card), and see if the problem goes away.

The card may not like that BIOS for some reason.

hello guys,

f_m i'll try holding the power button to see what happens.

3d, i flashed it from a floppy. the floppy is pretty old(3-4 months old). probably the file got corrupted like you suggest.

the modded bios is online. i'll go to the link and try it out.

thanks guys, i still have the card. my buddies busy with halloween stuff all this weekend so i'll have a couple more days to get this issues with this card straightened out.

happy weird pumpkin day :)

thanks guys, i reflashed the card again, this time i installed fresh version of nvflash 4.41 and the modded bios.

everythings peachy :)

Beginner said:
thanks guys, i reflashed the card again, this time i installed fresh version of nvflash 4.41 and the modded bios.

everythings peachy :)

:) That's great news. I was hoping it wasn't something bad. Whenever something goes haywire like that, remember what the last thing you did was, and it's very likely that was the cause...not every time, but alot of the time it is.

Back