• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC random freezing Gigabyte 780 Ti OC Windforce or insufficient PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pablodemostoles

Hello everyone :),

I am new here and I am writing to you because I need some help with an issue that has been driving me crazy since I built this custom computer: (sorry because it is a bit long to explain)

-i5 4670k 3,4GHz + enermax ets t40
-Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti OC Windforce
-Msi z87-gd65 Gaming
-8GB 2x4 1866 Kingston HyperX Beast
-Corsair RM650
-WD Green 500gb
-Seagate barracuda 1Tb

Since I built it in December it has been having lots of random problems such as random screen freezing without sound loops/ random black screens without displaying any signal / random freeze + black screen...

All this happens randomly, it can work just fine for a couple of days and then crash four times the same day. This has happened in every kind of situation: gaming / watching youtube videos / idling / chating on skype / chating on steam / attempting to install windows 7 from USB / while restarting computer/ while copying a music cd...
If audio is playing it won't loop as other people have experienced

I have tried the following things:
-Reinstalling and updating drivers
-Installing windows 7
-Installing Ubuntu 12.04
-Checking RAM with memtest
-Updating bios
-Using new HDD
-Running furmark and prime95
-Using different ram and switching the slots
-Using onboard intel gpu
-Trying the psu in another computer for a couple of days
-Replacing the motherboard
-checking the temperatures

The computer kept freezing after trying the things mentioned before individually and I noticed that sometimes when the freeze occurs some kind of horizontal small lines appear for less than a second and then the computer freezes completely, very similar to tearing. Sometimes the mouse led started blinking randomly or just turned off.

I borrowed a 600w HP psu and removed the 780 ti ----- the computer didn't have a single issue in two weeks time

I got my RM650 replaced and then I installed the 780 ti again ------ the computer froze again

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I removed the 780ti after that and sent it for an RMA and my computer has been runing for more than a month perfectly without having any problem

THE PROBLEM IS FOR SURE RELATED TO THE 780 Ti but Gigabyte has just told me that after checking the card for a month it was perfect and it didn't have any problem.

I have seen that mamy people are complaining about Gigabyte's 780 Ti for having similar issues and also I have checked that the card requires a minimum 600w +12V with 42A PSU and the Corsair RM650 is 650w and 54A in the +12V rail.

:shrug:

What do you think is the problem, is my 780 Ti OC defective or is the Corsair RM650 PSU insufficient for the Gigabyte 780 Ti OC Windforce?

Can any other thing be causing this issue?

Thank you very much in advance.

Sounds like power to me, use the 780 in another computer and see if this happens, the wattage is fine, it just may be a bad unit, if the other computer demostrates this freezing then you know it is the card , card should run on a 550 watt as long as you are noy pounding on it

Back