• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC randomly rebooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

istari675

I recently started having an issue with my PC. It did not coincide with any hardware changes and it just started a few weeks ago. Regularly the computer will power on for a second, power off for 3-4 seconds, and then power back on. This loop will continue infinitely unless I cut the power. The issue only seems to resolve itself if I unplug the computer from the wall for around 5 minutes straight. It seems to be happening on a daily basis now, so I wanted to see what could cause something like this. Once the machine is on there are no signs of a problem and I can continue the entire day.

ASRock OC formula z97
Corsair HX750 platinum
GTX 1080 G1
Samsung 850 SSD

You could try rasing the vcore a bit to see if that helps .
Do you have a DMM (meter) that you can check your rails @ load ?
Have you ran memtest ?

I have everything but the GPU running at stock at the moment. I dont have a DMM to test, but I cant run a memtest. I assumed it wasnt a memory issue because I am able to run everything completely fine once booted.

I think your problem is either the PSU or the motherboard. Computers draw extra power during the boot process that may be pushing on of these components over the edge. How old is the HX750? The first thing I would try would be removing the video card and using just the IGP. This should reduce the power draw of the system some. If you have a spare PSU I would also trying swapping the PSU out with and without the video card installed.

I would think it was the PSU, but would the power draw of boot up compare to the power draw of gaming? I was playing Shadow of Mordor last night with no issues.

The PSU is going on two years old at the moment.

I would think it was the PSU, but would the power draw of boot up compare to the power draw of gaming? I was playing Shadow of Mordor last night with no issues.

The PSU is going on two years old at the moment.

Its a different type of power load; there are big voltage spikes, which are the components way of saying "Hey! Wake up, its time to work!"

I see. I don't have another PSU on hand. And it seems like I can't 100 percent replicate the issue, so I can't try stuff to be sure of a fix.

Is there anything I can do to stress test the PSU to check for potential failures on demand?

Buy and inexpensive PSU of around 600 watts for testing purposes and to have as a backup. I think every do it yourself computer builder should accumulate a stash of backup parts for troubleshooting at times like this. Or can you borrow a PSU from a friend or family member for testing purposes?

Back