• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC running games very poorly with an FX 8120.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you said you swaped this cpu into a prebuilt computer and motherboard what brand and model is it, we need to see if the board has a bios update for this cpu.

That was my first thought as well - wasn't this a common problem when BD got released due to motherboards not accurately recognizing the CPU?

ASUS M5A97 -- AMD 970 is my motherboard.

Recently when I leave my computer on at night to download files, I wake up to see my compute restarted with an error message "Failed to load boot device. Insert bootable device and continue." or something along the lines of that.

Could that re-insure that it's a PSU problem? It only happens really when I'm not using the computer and it's left on idle for awhile...

Recently when I leave my computer on at night to download files, I wake up to see my compute restarted with an error message "Failed to load boot device. Insert bootable device and continue." or something along the lines of that.

Could that re-insure that it's a PSU problem? It only happens really when I'm not using the computer and it's left on idle for awhile...
That souns more like hdd problem. Check one more time to make sure both power and data cable connection to your hdd is not loose.
Install hdd check tools from the manufactures and check your disk to make sure its on good condition. You can use checkdisk tool in windows as well.
Your PSU is of very low quality and could be the cause but make sure your hdd is not going bad as well.

hard to say, this could b a bios issue. For me, the volts don't show right in hwmonitor, but do show correctly in the bios. As stated before, some of the am3+ motherboards need a bios update before they smoothly run the FX cpus.

do you have any power saving features on? this might be what is causing the issue at night or when you step away. this could be the bios or the PSU. I would start with the bios, but your PSU is definitely the JUNK of your system.

have you turned off cool and quiet and all the 'greener' stuff in bios? please check that you have the latest bios

I turned off Cool n Quit, CP1E or whatever it's called and one more that saves power consumption.

I'll check my BIOS.

How would I go about checking if my HDD is functioning properly?

After running a Short Drive Self Test and Short Generic Test using SeaTools for Windows, it discovered no problems with my HDDs.

Any tips from experienced users on how to properly reinstall the BIOS?

just follow the step by step on the manufacturers website that you download the bios from. there are a couple ways to do it and either are pretty much foolproof as long as you don't hard shutdown in the middle of it.

Back