• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC running games very poorly with an FX 8120.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I tried Origin PC but my god, they were so expensive.

Here's what I've put together so far for around $1600.

CoolerMaster HAF 922 Gaming Case

Intel i7-3770k 4x 3.50GHz

Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling System with ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-pull Airflow)

8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance

AMD Radeon HD 7950 3 GB

ASUS P8Z77-V LX Motherboard (Not sure on this one. Any opinions or swaps?)

850W Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2

1 TB SATA Hard Drive - 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s

ASUS Xonar DG Sound Card

Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card

Windows 7 Home Premium

I'm going with only a Primary Hard Drive this time instead of having a Primary and Data.

I'm iffy on the motherboard.

I attached the options available.

Attachments

• motherboard options.jpg
    motherboard options.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
the corsair hydro 60 is not enough cooling for this if you are going to overclock it.

How's the Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel)?

High Performance fan with push-pull airflow as well.

Did a bit more research now and decided to go with an i7 2700k sandy bridge and 580x 1.5GB EVGA Superclocked GPU.

Still dunno about the motherboard.

Guessing either the Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 or ASUS P8Z77-V LX.

Last edited:
How's the Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel)?

High Performance fan with push-pull airflow as well.

Did a bit more research now and decided to go with an i7 2700k sandy bridge and 580x 1.5GB EVGA Superclocked GPU.

Still dunno about the motherboard.

Guessing either the Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 or ASUS P8Z77-V LX.

No reason to even consider sandy bridge anymore. 3570K and a different gpu. 580s are overpriced

can the h60 the rad is to thin, the issue is rad size and thickness, look at the h70 at the least, it uses a thicker rad and you supply your own fans.

I have the 8120 and I play BF3 at 87 FPS~60 FPS constantly with a Radeon XFX 6950.. So it your CPU isn't slowing down your computer at all.

No reason to even consider sandy bridge anymore. 3570K and a different gpu. 580s are overpriced

Isn't 3570K Ivy Bridge?

I was looking into Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge comparisons and apparently Ivy Bridge only runs slightly faster but also runs a lot hotter.

What GPU would you personally recommend?

can the h60 the rad is to thin, the issue is rad size and thickness, look at the h70 at the least, it uses a thicker rad and you supply your own fans.

Yea, I'm not using the H60 anymore.

I went with the Asetek 550LC Liquid Cooling System (Intel).

Isn't 3570K Ivy Bridge?

I was looking into Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge comparisons and apparently Ivy Bridge only runs slightly faster but also runs a lot hotter.

What GPU would you personally recommend?

Ivy Bridge runs warmer when overclocked but that doesn't mean you should buy SB over it.

Here's a good 3570K/Z77 combo

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2580691&CatId=6982

The whole warm excuse was started by Sandy bridge owners who thought ivy bridge would do 5.5Ghz on air

tbh mate ur 8120 might not be giving you all it can as the Caddi daddi and Joni has helped me with i unlocked massive power of my cpu, and i could imagine that is the same case with you, my framerate increased by 15fps in BF3 which is lame amount of fps increase try shutting down all the ECO rubbish in ur bios :) unless this hasent been said before ofc :p ( didnt read the whole thread )

btw read ur first post with HWmonitor - Ur Hdds are quite hot!!!!! you sure they arent finished? :) or in lack of cooling? i had a HDD at 50degrees and i had to renovate it before it would run happily again :) and it only ran like that for 2 weeks :)

At $1509, I have:

CoolerMaster HAF 922 Gaming Case
Cold Cathode Neon Light - Red
6 port NZXT Internal USB Expansion System
i5 3570k with protection
Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling with High Performance Push-Pull Airflow fan
8 GB DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance
670x EVGA SUperclocked 2GB
ASUS P8Z77-V LX MOBO
750W Corsair CMPSU 750TXV2
120 GB ADATA Primary Drive
2 GB Data Drive

Should I switch the motherboard to a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 for $41 extra or keep the ASUS P8Z77-V LX?

Another option is the ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Peformance for $58.

Back