• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC running games very poorly with an FX 8120.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why didn't you say this to start with.

Well, I've only started getting this problem after I reformatted both of my hard drives and fresh installed Windows 7.

You probably installed windows with both drives hooked up and the boot files are on one hard drive and the actual windows install is on the other drive if both drives were hooked up when installing windows. My guess is that if you unhook the drive you "do n0t" believe is the windows drive, then the computer will not boot at all and thus prove the guess.

You probably installed windows with both drives hooked up and the boot files are on one hard drive and the actual windows install is on the other drive if both drives were hooked up when installing windows. My guess is that if you unhook the drive you "do n0t" believe is the windows drive, then the computer will not boot at all and thus prove the guess.

OH, I'm not suppose to have both HDDs hooked up when installing Windows 7? Just the primary drive I want the install on?

+1 RGONE, I THINK YOU HAVE NAILED IT..

+12V LINE SHOULD REMAIN ABOVE 12V AT ALL TIMES I SHOULS THINK.

+1 RGONE, I THINK YOU HAVE NAILED IT..

+12V LINE SHOULD REMAIN ABOVE 12V AT ALL TIMES I SHOULS THINK.

Yeah its bad on things that use the 12v rail... like your gpu...

On a side note... you should check to see if there are any dirt cheap keyboards for sale in the classified section Caddi Daddi.... I think your capslock key broke....:chair:

bluefalcon13, it's not the capslock key that is causing the issue, it's the everclear i so love to drink....
watch my spelling improve as the night passes!!!!!!!

the night my grandson spilled some into my fx machine and torched it off and filled the house with smoke before i could drag it outside and put the fire out, now that was funny!!!!!
untill my wife came down stairs and chewed my behind a new hole or three.

I think I've narrowed all my computer problems down to my PSU.

I hope it's my PSU anyhow.

It's definitely junk.

Power supply, again? = Honestly a person far away from your configuration would have to see into virtuality, to answer that for real. At idle, power draw should fall off and n0t be a drain on the power supply. Now that said, I have seen a wonky power supply cause many sorts of oddities. But I don't think I would put all my faith in a power supply fixing everything. I certainly believe a power supply of known goodness is a step in the right direction but something tells me that the power supply may in fact not be all the problem and replacing it may lead or give further direction toward the other issues.

That is how it feels when I keep reading your posts.

Power supply, again? = Honestly a person far away from your configuration would have to see into virtuality, to answer that for real. At idle, power draw should fall off and n0t be a drain on the power supply. Now that said, I have seen a wonky power supply cause many sorts of oddities. But I don't think I would put all my faith in a power supply fixing everything. I certainly believe a power supply of known goodness is a step in the right direction but something tells me that the power supply may in fact not be all the problem and replacing it may lead or give further direction toward the other issues.

That is how it feels when I keep reading your posts.

I'm just trying to figure out the causes for my poor computer performance and the BSOD.

The BSOD could be caused by my Win7 installation being messed up.

I'm just not sure if my PSU could be causing my PC to bottleneck in gaming.

Same SSD as you have but Intel system and not AMD. They did not seem to find an answer to the problem.

BSOD if I didn't use the computer for like 15-20mins. Error 0x000000F4
Primary Hard Drive: 64 GB ADATA S596 Turbo SSD - Single Drive

The thread below is from February of 2012 so it is a newer thread. I thought those S596 Adata drives had a JMicron controller in them but reading in this thread maybe there has been a change and the S596 can have a Sandforce controller and Sandforce issues. You may need to check and see if there is a firmware update for your SSD.

system crash after inactivity
Well, after several days of wrestling with it, I've finally brought my system back to what seems to be a stable state. Or at least more stable than before, as it has run at least once already for over an hour without a freeze or crash. The culprit seems to have been exactly what Stonecunning suspected. My ADATA S596 (64GB SSD) which uses a SandForce controller was pulled and replaced, and things look promising.

I've looked into updated my SSD just now and found a guide.

Does it mean I have to reinstall Windows 7 since it will erased all the data on the drive? (at least the guide said it would)

If that doesn't work, I suppose I'll have to buy a new SSD.

Depends on the ssd. Some do firmware flashes and keep your data, others do not. Since you need to reinstall, you might as well update it. It'll kill 2 birds with one stone that way.

I've looked into updated my SSD just now and found a guide.

Does it mean I have to reinstall Windows 7 since it will erased all the data on the drive? (at least the guide said it would)

If that doesn't work, I suppose I'll have to buy a new SSD.

I think I would see what the firmware update is to fix/repair. I would also make sure what controller is in the SSD you have. If it is not a sandforce controller, I am not sure I would think the sleep issue is caused by the controller like some sandforce controllered drives had issues with if the drive went to sleep.

If I have not forgotten what was said at first...this is a d*mn pre-built rig and the pre-builder would be giving me some relief under warranty. I would not be replacing the cooler, the power supply and then possibly the SSD as you mention above. The idea of a pre-built configuration is that their engineers ensure that the parts and pieces work together well and the buyer can expect the setup to work out of the box. No way I would buy and then replace everything that was sold me. Not right away anyway.

I think I would see what the firmware update is to fix/repair. I would also make sure what controller is in the SSD you have. If it is not a sandforce controller, I am not sure I would think the sleep issue is caused by the controller like some sandforce controllered drives had issues with if the drive went to sleep.

If I have not forgotten what was said at first...this is a d*mn pre-built rig and the pre-builder would be giving me some relief under warranty. I would not be replacing the cooler, the power supply and then possibly the SSD as you mention above. The idea of a pre-built configuration is that their engineers ensure that the parts and pieces work together well and the buyer can expect the setup to work out of the box. No way I would buy and then replace everything that was sold me. Not right away anyway.

Amen on the prebuild stuff... also why I build my own. Pre-builders rarely get it right... as a matter of fact, only pre-builder I would trust is the high end ones... Origin PC, and even Alienware (yes I know, its Dell, typing this on an M14x).

I'm a firm believer in updating EVERYTHING, firmwares, bios, drivers, whatever. You need to reinstall the OS anyways, and if it is a sandforce controller version, I know there are boot issues with those alone (mostly OCZ drives) that it does not play nice with the other children. So I would recommend firmware update on the SSD, verify BIOs settings with the recommended settings from ADATA ( I know OCZ has a massive guide of recommended settings... I am sure ADATA has a similar guide somewhere), then reinstall the OS and perform any additional OS level SSD tweaks you need/want. Also make sure you are running the latest drivers from AMD for the mobo chipset drivers as they contain your SATA controller drivers for windows.

I have a change of plans.

I ended up putting my computer on craigslist for a little more than what I still owe on it and rebuilding a pre-built PC.

I have to go pre-built route because the only way I can afford it at the moment is through monthly payments.

I'll try to post the specs soon and see what you guys think of it.

Back