• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Upgrade Slower = Confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

90Ninety

Registered
Excuse the spelling please
Basically an upgrade from a Intel to a theoretically faster spec AMD , but kept memory and GPU . Reason being Intel CPU failed twice in 2 years

OK well Comparision spec

Old INTEL Rig i5

Intel I5 760 2.8 Ghz = OC 3.4 Ghz
Gigabyte H55M UD2H
Video Card HD7950 Windforce
OCZ Vertex 100GB Sata 2 SSD
Corsiar XMS3 DDR 3 1600Mhz 16 GB Dual Channel , Ganged

New AMD FX Rig
AMD 8350 Bulldozer running at stock = 4 Ghz
Asrock 960GM/U3S3FX ( Sata 3/ USB 3)
No change here Video Card HD7950 Windforce
Samsung 840 EVO Sata 3 SSD
Corsiar XMS3 DDR 3 1600Mhz 8 GB Dual Channel ,

Now here is the interesting part , On the Old Intel Rig , whilst gaming maxed out (all settings)the gir could achieve solid 60fps with 1-5 fps drop , on Alan Wake, for example .

Have also been playing Grid autosport and am getting slowdown even on lowest settings ( except 1080 p)

Now I just played Alan wake on this new Rig and am seeing frames drop to 20 FPS on Max settings
:shock:
This is really weird

Running Catalyst 14.4 with latest graphics drivers ( inluded in 14.4 package)
Ram Timings are set manually

Both Rigs had been running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit and running programs on the same secondary 5400 RPM HDD

Quirks I have noticed , new rig is running Sata 2 ports HDD's in IDE mode , . However Sata 3 port is Sata mode and running at sata 3 speed ( Asmedia 106 Controiller) Using just one Sata 3 port of two provided

Both Are M-atx boards , this is the only sata 3 matx board I could find but it is making me suspicious . The board does however run the SSD at almost Sata3 top speed ( around 450/500 mbps) . Should on theory be a faster build

Any Thoughts ?:screwy:

Last edited:
i'm thinking of cpu overheating and throttling down to save itself or the motherboard throttling to save the vrm's

EDIT: after checking the mobo i'm fairly sure it is suffering from vrm overheating.

+1 to tungureanu.

That motherboard and the 8350 = VRM torture.

tungureanu You were right regarding the CPU throttling , I turned off quiet and cool and am getting more consistency in framerates - Thanks

ATMINSIDE, EarthDog
Regarding VRM GPU-Z is seeing temps of around 60 Celcius Underload Playing Wolfenstein , Grid Autosport and Tomb Raider - Does not concern me to be honest

Wouldn't surprise me of your i5 also simply outperformed the FX cpu in the game, AMD imo took a step back with their new FX line. Supposedly they will have something new for us in 2016.

tungureanu You were right regarding the CPU throttling , I turned off quiet and cool and am getting more consistency in framerates - Thanks

ATMINSIDE, EarthDog
Regarding VRM GPU-Z is seeing temps of around 60 Celcius Underload Playing Wolfenstein , Grid Autosport and Tomb Raider - Does not concern me to be honest

That is socket temperature, not VRM temperature.
On a board that cheap there won't be a VRM temp sensor.

It is most definitely throttling back to save the motherboard, hence your stuttering

Edit: That board has a 3+1 VRM without heatsink.
The bare minimum for an 8-core to run reliably is 6+2 with a heatsink.

Replace the board or risk a fire.

Wouldn't surprise me of your i5 also simply outperformed the FX cpu in the game, AMD imo took a step back with their new FX line. Supposedly they will have something new for us in 2016.

Really? No. The FX will smear that old i5.

That is socket temperature, not VRM temperature.
On a board that cheap there won't be a VRM temp sensor.

It is most definitely throttling back to save the motherboard, hence your stuttering

1 . I will take the risk , would keep room warm in winter ;)

2. No real risk, as PSU would detect thermal differences and shut off power

3. Can you recommend a good alternative AM3+ MATX motherboard?

4. Question OK are these the VRMS - see picture, looks like there are more than four and potential to use heat sinks pads and blocks

Attachments

• asrock.jpg
    asrock.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 280

4. Question OK are these the VRMS - see picture, looks like there are more than four and potential to use heat sinks pads and blocks

i'm on mobile so i cant edit a pic to show witch are the mosfets for cpu, however, you can test the theory of overheating by placing a fan above the vrm area.

There are no mATX motherboards I would recommend for the FX lineup.

1) yes its a real risk, you can literally start a fire. Is that a good way to "keep your room warm in winter"?

2) yes real risk, as the PSU wouldn't shut off power in time to keep you from frying your board. Im shocked you were even able to turn the thing on. Its very likely you're going to destroy the CPU and/or at least the motherboard.

3) no such thing exists for fx8350's.... well nothing any sensible person would use.

4) That entire section houses your VRM's. In that pic you are circling 3 total. Which means 3 phase power to the CPU. Theres no cooling method alive that will keep them in check to your 8350 unless you dump liquid nitrogen on top of it.

Bottom line, your going to destroy your motherboard and very potentially your CPU. I'd recommend you stop using that motherboard immediately. You're not going to get any decent performance out of that setup as you are standing.

Bob

As a solution ,How bout throttling undervolting to decrease temps

Otherwise I will have to dump the £/$ expensive Matx case , get a new case and a new motherboard

Im not really interested in OC on this CPU perhaps under-volt if anything

Your thoughts

OK , I got my trusty multimeter probe and probed some of the chips while the motherboard was running ( surfing web and excel )

The Probe slowly climbed to 55 Celcius , I am not convinced this board will fry

Frankly, the 8350 is the problem. If you want to run AMD here, then I would sell that 8350 and get something else that doesn't require ridiculous voltage management.

And its not the temperatures thats the problem, its the voltage management. not trying to rain on your parade, but much stronger boards than that have fried on 8350's.

Most certainly run it with lower voltages/clock speeds if you plan on keeping that setup.

A possible solution, find out how many cores the game uses and shut down some on the 8350. Most likely you can shut down at least 2.

i can see a potential fire hazard. I wouldn't even run a thuban on it

A $60 4 phase VRM which is uncooled powering an 8350. Ouch.

1) yes its a real risk, you can literally start a fire. Is that a good way to "keep your room warm in winter"?

2) yes real risk, as the PSU wouldn't shut off power in time to keep you from frying your board. Im shocked you were even able to turn the thing on. Its very likely you're going to destroy the CPU and/or at least the motherboard.

3) no such thing exists for fx8350's.... well nothing any sensible person would use.

4) That entire section houses your VRM's. In that pic you are circling 3 total. Which means 3 phase power to the CPU. Theres no cooling method alive that will keep them in check to your 8350 unless you dump liquid nitrogen on top of it.

Bottom line, your going to destroy your motherboard and very potentially your CPU. I'd recommend you stop using that motherboard immediately. You're not going to get any decent performance out of that setup as you are standing.

Why would you rely on a PSU to detect your VRM's overheating?
I've never heard that before.

My PSU has overvolt and over-current protection, and none of those safety measures tripped when I fried my motherboard.
I drew too many amps, which should have tripped the over-current measure, but it didn't.
Can't put 100% faith in just one component.

Undervolting/underclocking might help, that and disabling 2 cores too.
But why buy a CPU and literally disable half of it?

Best bet as said before is a new mobo.
Or maybe pop in another AMD chip that isn't power hungry.

Back