• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Vs. MAC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mac OSX crashes more then windows, I hate Mac, im a windows fanboy with a right and left mouse click.:D:cool::popcorn:

This is a cool video, It's All About The Pentiums:

Last edited:
You mentioned that you'd disregard non-technical comments when tallying up the tidbits on PC vs MAC. Which is interesting by itself. In the current world of computer electronics there are several major engineering and manufacturing companies plus a bevy of smaller ones that build on the basic same standards, i.e., for connectivity, electrical engineering, plastics engineering, metallurgy, ISO, "green" standards, size standards. At the end of the day MAC and PC oriented manufacturers all design and build within these guidelines.

Software? This is where the differences are more notable, even if you want to bring Linux into the discussion. After all, build quality of components can be sorted after considering all the technical standards such as wire guages or 802.11 connectivity. That Apple goes after high quality components exclusively doesn't mean PC builders can't buy only top tier components and assemble them with care. That Apple products are produced in sweat-shops with employees doing face-plants from 8th story dormitories may be an issue with some consumers vs. others that don't care could be a tie-breaker in this opinion forum. Perhaps the end-user experience is the real question here.

Off the shelf goodness with serious back-office support such as the Apple Experience, or the less than enthusiastic help desk of PC sellers? Hmmm. Not too technical here. That's why I build my own. I don't have to phone in for anything. And I'm not complaining either.

Ok im not looking for flame fests or "this one is better because i said so"
im more looking for good info like this

Compare hardware for instance, A PC laptop has the latest hardware of your choice
where as MAC has a very slime selection and comes with some outrageous price tags typically double the cost for an identical PC

i feel this will eliminate a lot of fights with in the geekier side of the computer world and i am sick of seeing useless info all over the internet with MAC constantly claiming to be better in everyway and PC simply not fighting back (might be because we PC/Linux users simply arent scared)

i will also be compiling all of the good referenced facts on which is better in a newer post later on down the road with the results being a graph of some sort showing which is best for what.

as you have noticed i didnt mention which PC OS or hardwrae due to the fact its apples own fault for not allowing any major changes to hardware and them being the only company that can make MACS

Again, it is hard to take this thread when the OP is seriously already biased. From this original post you are already in the camp for PC to win.

the games are slowly being ported yes but would a mac desktop really be able to play crysis at 1080p max settings anywhere near as good as my desktop does?!

Depends on what you have in the Mac desktop, but most likely not. Mac's are not designed for gaming machines. They are designed for workforce use.

chaos do you have any links or actuall staeful facts to back those, and the malware link hafa posted was a phisihing scam that installed malware on your mac, you are both correct on the viruses. this is only because 85% of used have non mac OS's which means if you make a 1:1 ratio of macs and other os's your probably looking at the same % of users having viruses on both sides.

in other words, if 1/100 people get cancer per say, take a group of 100 you have 1 cancer ridden person, now if you have 1,000,000 people your looking at 1,000 cancer patience.
other os's being the 1,000,000 and the macs being the 100, sur elooks like less viruses but its the same

The 85% thing is saying that 85% of Mac users have Windows as well. You ask for links and references, but you dont even link your information.
source

You are a bit off with your comparison of viruses and Macs. In fact, with Mac's newest update, Lion 10.7, mos the viruses have been blocked off.

The main problem of recent for Mac users have been the Mac Defender scam. However, the user had to MANUALLY install this malware in order for it to work.

There are a lot more Mac users out there then you actually think. It is not 100 to 1,000,000. Not anywhere near that.

Now, I am not a Mac fanboy, I do not even own a Mac computer anymore. However, in terms of reliability, they are generally ranked number one.
source
second source

In terms of O/S, Mac has a smaller footprint when it comes to using resources. source

However, in terms of compatibility, Windows 7 wins hands down.

Obviously each O/S has its ups and downs. Depending on the hardware you choose, some will be more expensive than others. If you look at the Envy, which is very Mac like, you are at the same price area as Macs.source

It seriously just all comes down to what you are using the computer for. Each has their advantages, and each their disadvantages.

If you are going to have this thread, I really think you need to stay neutral to the cause.

Currently, it looks to be around 10%:

Linky
Linky

If I were a malware writer, I'd not bother with the 10%; I'd go for the 90%. Much better ROI, and the driving force behind malware development today IMHO.

Yea, so that would be around 100,000 for every million, but I completely understood the logic behind what he was saying.

However, and this is a big one, there are a lot of elitist hackers, crackers, coders, etc, that absolutely HATE when a company says they are secure, and they do whatever they can to stop it.

But again, there are definitely more users on Windows than Mac. Thats a given.

Just use both for yourself. Find a way to get a good mac and use it for a couple months. Loaner from a friend, rental, who cares. Try it then compare for yourself. You wont really feel what I have to say about Mac, and you wont realize what others have to say about PC until you REALLY try both to the fullest for yourself.

Another thing is if your good at a Unix/Linux command line Mac is actually quite powerful. You have to realize the subsystem is Unix and "easy to use" on the GUI is one statement, but powerful under the hood is another. Imagine Linux with a better GUI and mainstream software like support Adobe and Microsoft Office

im sorry if any of you feel that these results will be biased, they wont be, i have already set up the chart and such and right now im using some sort of voting system IE. if 5 people say mac screens are better and 2 people say any other screen on a PC laptop are better then the point goes to MAC.
as for the viruses, that i feel will need a good deal of looking into, i am currently looking at all the major virus companies and e-mailing them for hard numbers and figures, hopefully mac will play nice and give me hard figures as well.

and by not factoring in the non technical claims....i was more saying i dont want people posting
"mac stays cooler than a pc laptop" then not giving an example or facts in any way

all in all this is going much better than i had thought it would be.

thank you all for the maturity

Then don't use "points" use facts. DPI, resolution, refresh rate, etc are what matter on displays. Be as technical as you can, then take a poll on which looks nicer, or whatever can't be compared directly.

ben333 that is essentially what im doing. this is also a good place where all the experienced computer guys/gals can get together and in a mature manner finally put an end to the mac vs pc arguments

It's not an argument, or something that can have an end put to it - it's a choice. Some people will find Mac fits their needs and some will find that a non-Mac does better.

At best, tabulating points made and tech. specs serves a basis for making a comparison, and will not - and can not - "end" the choice that people face.

true we can never truely end the mac vs pc argument, but we will have a resource to stop many of the rumors. and put an end to many disputes. and IMHO there is no better community to get the facts figures and opinions we need to make this happen.

This thread is just as valuable as all the others exactly like it here and every other site. Its worth it to revisit the same discussion points to remind us all of the revolving door that is mac v pc. I wish there was something new to add though.

Lol chaos is just having some fun..

I love both :p. I just recently bought my Macbook Air 11.6 inch, i7 1.8 ghz. 4gb of RAM and a 128gb SSD. I love it. It could never replace my main computer; but I wanted a solid; small; light machine to use for office work; some music; the basics.. The size of this thing is fantastic.. The battery isn't the best for sure; but I wanted it for it's size. And that said; considering its size; it's fast! :p Like really fast, I dare say it reacts faster than my main comp in almost every basic thing XD.

so would you agree that the MAC OS is more responsive when doing basic operations?
ie load time to open a small program like safari

so would you agree that the MAC OS is more responsive when doing basic operations?
ie load time to open a small program like safari

Benchmarks and time tests can be done... but in the end who cares? I'm either a PC user or a Mac user or a Linux user. And that choice isn't because I can open firefox one second faster while using one of the three.

I dare say it reacts faster than my main comp in almost every basic thing XD.

Just out of curiosity, Mjolnir, what kind of SSD (make, model) does the air have?

Benchmarks and time tests can be done... but in the end who cares?

I'd bet that most watching this thread care; I'm certain arcanise does, as this is the exact kind of data he'll need for his comparison.

I'll be amazed if we get a "Wow guys, FireFox loads half a second faster on Mac OS, that's it... I'm convinced. Dropping $1200 on a new MacBook."

You could tell me Mac OS would always take an extra second opening every program and I'd probably still use it for other reasons. I suppose if you're doing a total evaluation it helps to get as detailed as you can but its just like the XP / 7 debate. Some run XP because it can be quicker, others accept that its time has passed. It's old, be secure, be supported, upgrade your stuff.

ben333 its not that anyone of these facts will sway anyone into deciding on mac/pc/linux....its the data as a whole that will be the factor that sways people. if mac does 9 things better than pc for what your looking in doing then well your choice is mac, if pc has 1 point more in something that you want to do(indie games for example) then pc is your way to go.
if anyone is serious about doing all the research they can before they make a purchase then they are going to want to see all the pros and cons not just one.

this is pretty much the same as every vote counts....sure your 1 vote may seem tiny but all in all its that one vote that can turn the tides

Back