• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC100 and PC133 compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t_biggs

I just got a laptop for free, a Vaio PCG-FX140. It uses PC100 memory. I only have 128MB, and want to upgrade. I noticed that a 256MB stick of PC100 is far more expensive than PC133, which is making me wonder if PC133 won't work in here... I know on a desktop, PC133 will work fine in a 100mhz FSB board. Are laptops different?

It might work but in the manual it states:

In the future you may want to install memory modules to expand the
functionality of your computer. You can increase memory up to 512 MB
(256 MB x 2), by installing optional memory modules. For selected models 128
MB of memory is pre-installed (128 MB x 1); for other models, 64 MB of
memory is pre-installed (64 MB x 1). You can add an expansion memory module
(64 MB, 128 MB, or 256 MB) in the memory module bay. Expansion memory
modules are available as options. For memory upgrades, use only PC100 (CL2)
SDRAM SO-DIMM (gold lead contacts).

Laptops are FAR more picky about memory than desktop counterparts. If you can borrow a pc-133 module to try then you got nothing to lose. otherwise I ouwld just purchase what it calls for to be safe.

If you have a way to borrow a stick, try it.

The reason the PC100 is so expensive, is some still usable laptops (like my IBM T2*) will only use the PC100 stuff. The reason the 256 is more than the 512 sticks, is the same reason.

steve

Haha. I got a dead VAIO that had 256mb PC100 (didn't know it was PC100 at the time) ram in it, so I switched it with my laptop's 128mb PC133. My laptop works, but only runs at 1ghz instead of 1.33ghz. Of course, I sold the VAIO for $50 and my old ram was still in it, so now I'm stuck with PC100 :(

Back