• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC3200 Showing up as PC2700 Help Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Questionnare

I just bought 2 gigs (2*1024) of PC3200 Valueselect Ram. However, after i installed them and they show up as PC2700. What is wrong??? After first seeing this, i shut down my comp and took out one of the sticks, it was warm. Is that normal?
System Specs: Intel P4 @ 3.0
Foxconn 661M03-G-6EL
2g Corsair Valueselect Ram

Thanks For your Help

Where in the BIOS do i do that? Should i set my timing Ratio to 1:1 so that it is even with the fsb which is 200?

Thank You

I tried that, but my computer wouldnt start, so i had to clear my cmos. ANy other suggestions? My previous setup had 1g of ram, but it was one PC2700 (512mb) and one PC3200 (512mb). I think the 2g of PC2700 is better than one gig of mixed, right?

Any other help would be appreciated.

Thank You and Happy New Year

Questionnare said:
I tried that, but my computer wouldnt start, so i had to clear my cmos. ANy other suggestions? My previous setup had 1g of ram, but it was one PC2700 (512mb) and one PC3200 (512mb). I think the 2g of PC2700 is better than one gig of mixed, right?

Any other help would be appreciated.

Thank You and Happy New Year

if that doesn't work it's problem a mobo/proc limitation. yes 2gb 2700 is better than 1gb mixed which woul ddefault to 2700 anyway.

I tried combining one of the 1g chips (3200) with my 512mb (3200) chip. The 1g chip showed up as being 2700. I then switched the chips, (i put the 1g in the 512 slot, and vice versa), and then the 512 showed up as 2700. I think that dimm slot is the one that had the 2700 in it before, so how do i get it to read 3200?

Thanks

I don't think that swapping the RAM will help. I would try one at a time. To get into the BIOS you normally press del or delete. Watch the screen during boot from no power. You are looking for DRAM timings or Advanced "whatever". Most of the time you navigate using Enter and Esc keys. As long as you don't change the voltages (VDIMM, VCORE, and the like) it is very hard to really damage anything. The manual for your motherboard could prove helpful. They are usually available at the manufacturers web site.

I did try one at a time and they still showed up as PC2700

I entered the BIOS and set the timing ratio to 1:1. then adjusted the Cas to 3, the TRCD to 3, the TRP to 3, and the Tras to 8. I got throught the boot process but then i got a stop error just before getting into windows. I tried Booting in safemode, and had the same problem.

Thanks

I couldnt find a manual from foxconn about it. I did see its an SIS chipset and yours doesnt support dual channel. Single channel only max 2 gb. Your bios has to have a setting somewhere to change the ram speed.

Freq/voltage control didnt seem to have the option to change your ram speed,just to show it.

Oh and by the way :welcome: to the oc forums

Last edited:
Back