• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Slot Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irrykuxeh

Are they any good? They seem like they would be a good deal. Most of them are cheap and they don't need to have super high CFMs because you can put them right on top (or below) your graphics card or other heat-generating component. However, I haven't found much information on the internet giving detailed reviews on the cooling power of these fans.

Any thoughts? Does anyone actually use them?

I purchased some in the early 2000's. They didn't really provide much airflow from what I found. For me, it was a noise vs cooling balance that just couldn't be met by a slot cooler. They seem to be fairly inefficient compared to even just a well placed case fan to move hot air away from whatever it is you are trying to cool.

Most are really cheap, have horrible airflow, make a lot of noise, and fail very quickly. Not worth it.

I purchased some in the early 2000's. They didn't really provide much airflow from what I found. For me, it was a noise vs cooling balance that just couldn't be met by a slot cooler. They seem to be fairly inefficient compared to even just a well placed case fan to move hot air away from whatever it is you are trying to cool.

Yeah I find they were noisy and generally useless.

A good and more effective alternative is a side case 120 mm or 200 mm cooling fan. My server got a 200 mm side cooling fan attached to a HAF 922 blowing directly onto the MB, GPU and part of the HDDs. Dialed the speed to around 400-500 rpm. There's a nice gentle breeze coming in from the front and side of the case and gets sucked out the top and back.

If it's mounted below your graphics card, I feel like it's fighting over the air that your graphics card is already trying to intake.

They were a trivial idea 10 years ago... Not sure why they are even still around.

Yea I had one in my old celly d rig was quite loud on.even the lowest setting. Didn't kove much air.either but I was young and liked the pretty blue lights on it lol.

I've had and used one. Didn't even push much air compared to the old 80mm fans that were in use back when I tried them. Kind of pointless.

Back