• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Performance degradation with 4 sticks instead of 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At a hardware level Optane memory modules are essentially NVMe PCIe 2x SSDs. Just use it as a regular drive and put swap file on it. Might not have as high sustained rates as a good flash NVMe but it is higher random access and endurance. Or just use your regular SSD anyway as it really doesn't matter that much.

I can grab the screen shot later tonight.
Yeah, let's get that screenshot... something doesn't sound right... it may be in how you are reading it as mack has alluded to. ;)

As was said earlier, just set it to 2GB flat (page file), and walk. THis is of course assuming you aren't using all 16GB of ram upon boot as we believe isn't a correct assessment. :)

And by no means should you be worried about SSD wear. That was fear several generations ago and not for a while.

Something else is going on here besides page file issues that turning off page filing isn't addressing. Have you checked the health of the drive itself say with Crystaldiskinfo and Crystaldiskmark to see if it's performing correctly? If there is nothing wrong with the drive then I would do a clean install of Windows.

Sorry, I've been a bit busy. Here's a typical scenario in game. Committed is through the roof and when I ran with a smaller or no PageFile the game would OOM.

tm-1.jpg tm-2.jpg

More memory wont solve this 'problem'. :)

Set a 2gb static size and you should be good.
I tried no pagefile, 2GB, 4GB and still ran into OOMs. They weren't immediate but would happen randomly. The longer the computer went between reboots the more of an impact it had on it as well.

Personally I'd look at the "in use" value to indicate how much ram is actively used by software. At 11GB, nothing to worry about. The other 5GB is used by Windows as a disk cache to speed up load times. Perfectly normal. The committed amount is higher, but to my understanding it only the total "reserved" space, not necessarily in use space. In short, I wouldn't worry about it. To me this still looks like over-thinking a non-problem. Allow normal swap file use, and don't worry about it unless you actually do see "in use" get close to 16GB.

Time to secure erase the drive and reinstall windows. :)

The NVMe was brand new when I installed it. I built the PC and installed BFV before Steam and it was doing it that day. The only thing that was carried over was 3 data drives.

Last edited:
FWIW the other 2x8GB kit arrived and all is well. I was able to move the PageFile down to 1024MB (I think I read somewhere Windows needs some sort of PageFile). No OOM crashes. System sucks up a bit more memory than it used but it seems overall happy. I did some simple MaxxMem tests and they seemed to fall in line with the results from just the one kit installed - underperfomed on Memory-Copy and Memory-Read vs Woomack's results and overperformed on Memory-Write. There were too many variables at play to make it a true scientific case study.

Back