• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Performance Estimate FX8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazzyftw

Hello newb here, hope not to incite a fight :grouphug:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me an estimated performance for the following setup:

Im considering purchasing the motherboard and the FX8350 soon, since it seems far more economical than upping my MSIZ87G-45 board and getting a I7-4770K cpu

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AM3+
256GB Kingston SSD (Windows 7 Ultimate)
2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM HD
2 Ram Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB Desktop Memory Module (16gb)
XFX Radeon HD 7870 Double D 2GB GDDR5 PCIe
Ultra 750W ATX Hybrid Power Supply
8 fan cooling grid (EVO 212 w/ two fans running at 1,200+ rpm)/ 6 additional airflow fans.

Current prime95 benchmark score is 686

How do you get the prime95 score? I just ran it but it didnt spit out a score.

think the overclocking software from AMD allows you to run a prime95 benchmark test

In that case then I have no idea.

Can you run Cinebench R15 and post that score? There are alot of results for 8350s with that.

Good Lord, i think the issue may be the way i have my OC set isn't Cinebench friendly

The highest I have gotten with all 8 cores
5170GhzMSCFSB_zps04e1335b.jpg

Anything beyond that and it gets touchy. lol

I think one of the guys here has a score in the 850s or so.

caddi, do you know if intel processors have different OC settings vs AMD? that might be the reason why i get such a low cinebench score. On Prime95 i was getting low 400s until i found a good arrangement which got the to the 686

To run Cine R15 takes a fairly stable clock. This bench is harder on the CPU that the 11.5 version. Also the AMDs score quite well with this new one. I haven't run this one on my new 4770k but as a comparison My max on cinebench 11.5 is 9.68 with an 8350 and I was literally flogging the crap out of it. With the 4770 I hit 10.34 at a comfy everyday OC . To be honest unless you're benching you won't see too much difference in day to day computing once you have your machine stable with a nice OC in the 4.5-4.7 range.

Thanks johan, and i believe im running R15 so that could be the reason, i just find it odd by current score is so low if i have a decent performance running prime95 :/

Thanks johan, and i believe im running R15 so that could be the reason, i just find it odd by current score is so low if i have a decent performance running prime95 :/
It may have to do with Cinebench R15 being more stressful on the Cpu then the Prime bench, your overclock may not be stable. Have you run prime 95 to test for stability? If so how long? This will give us a better look under the hood so to speak. Download Hwmonitor "non pro", Cpu-z and if you do not have it already Prime 95. Open Hwmonitor and run prime blend torture test for 20 minutes. Keep the Cpu temp below 70 and the package temp below 62, if it goes over stop the test. Then post back here a screen shot of Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-z, Cpu, Spd and memory. Here's how to post screen shots using the inforum attachment tool.

finished tests, here is the picture. im aware im using an intel, but ill reiterate that what im asking for is a solid estimate of performance running a crosshair v and a 8350; how far can i push it before its too much.
Again i wanna thank you all for your help :D

Attachments

• Prime95 20 min test.png
    Prime95 20 min test.png
    461.6 KB · Views: 365
finished tests, here is the picture. im aware im using an intel, but ill reiterate that what im asking for is a solid estimate of performance running a crosshair v and a 8350; how far can i push it before its too much.
Again i wanna thank you all for your help :D
So just to be clear you don't own a Fx 8350 with a CHV and you would like to know what the performance of it is? Sorry I missed that point in your first post.

That is a tough question to answer, I tried running the Prime benchmark you mentioned but it doesn't spit out a score it just shows how long it takes to run it. I also do not see any Prime benchmark in AMD overdrive, there is a benchmark which I just ran and had a 13297 score, what that means IDK. It is difficult to compare an Intel processor to an AMD. In single threaded benchmarks the Intel will usually beat out the AMD clock for clock. In multi-threaded benchmark the AMD will sometimes beat out the Intel. If you can specify a benchmark that you want to see the performance on, you can look on hwbot.org and see how well the Fx does compared to the Intels.

That said unless you plan on benching the Fx 8350 under sub ambient temperatures or spending a ton of time benching it at all. The Crosshair V is overkill for most users. A Sabertooth is basically the same board without all the bells and whistles.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1742151/4670k-8350.html
Solved > I5 4670k vs FX-8350?

OP we are not 'too' bad about fighting in this forum section. That said we have had a couple of posters come into this forum section when a certain set of circumstances had "even us" sort of pointing a questioning user toward an Intel build, and be a little too adamant about Intel being far better than the AMD FX processor systems. They however generally go on their way since there is really only a 'core' of people that will try and help posters with that always presented question of "how do I overclock my X thing". It takes a certain crazieness to try and answer that question day after day after day. Especially when there are 1000s upon 1000s of tutorials to overclock just about anything. Hehehe .

And then as begs your question; there again there are probably at least 100s upon 1000s for posts seen in g00gle or other engines that 'try' and compare the FX-8350s to other Intel cpus. I just did a g00gle search again this morning and came across the link I posted above. The posters in it were civil and polite and in the end I liked the fact that a few other thoughts came to the surface. Like using a 3570K IB instead of a 4670K for gaming. I never heard that since everybody wants the latest. Be that as it may be as a thought, there is a poster in that thread with TWO rigs. One Intel and the other AMD. Both are pretty darn stout. More Stout than 95% of those posting in this AMD Cpu Forum Section. That particular poster was not impressed "overly" by either of his systems. They both worked.

Interesting comment made about comparing the top of the line Asus ROG board for AMD and a more top of the line Asus ROG board for Intel The AMD was cheaper. The argument we hear "most" of the time is that you don't need top of the line boards for Intel. Well okay but top of the line is after all top of line. Go figure.

We have at least 2 "helpers" in this forum section that have gotten the later Intel 4670K or 4770K in the just the last few weeks. They Had/Have pretty freeken quick Intel FX-8350 and one an FX-9370 processors and since I know their style and presistence and mind-set, it is not an issue for me to hear them say, they can game on either cpu setup and that generally the Intel rig hands them maybe 3 to 5 FPS more in the games "they" use. So if I need a few more FPS, then by knowing them well enough...I could say I would need to go Intel. I would trust their say-so more than 1000s of other reviews.

So the idea that we could give you a performance report on an FX-8350 cpu is just a shade on the realistically not doable side. Trying to do so has been done 1000s of times already on the internet. 90% of those tries are not what I personally would listen to. Too much hype and BS in many discussions about Intel Vs AMD. That very circumstance is why I linked you that thread above. It is not too infused with bias and brings out some ideas that appeal to me having done that bench for big numbers a few years ago and just like any racing...it gets old after a while or does for many.

I like my FX-8350 on an earlier CHV mobo for video editting at 4.7Ghz. The sum-beeatch is just smartly fast. Oh so much faster than my i7 860 cpu is/was when at 4.0Ghz. Oh sure tell me to upgrade my Intel. Horse pucky when it does all I need on everything else. We all have ideas that just scratching at the surface seem fine...dig down and it is just throwing money after money.

If you only game and will do so with ONLY (forever and ever) one video card, then the Intel 4670K on a $130.00 or less motherboard of good repute and using a CM212EVO cpu cooler, might be your better dollar value route. Put any extra money toward the better rated $400 to $500 video card and enjoy. And you should be able to enjoy as such rig would be very good for gaming. It would also be nearly thumb-proof for those of us with extra thumbs in our make-up.

And then when everything is already said 100s of times, get what you want. Don't care if I like or your bud likes it...get what you have the most inclination toward and learn it inside and out. Then no matter what; you have satisfied yourself and that is the person I want most to see satisfied.
RGone...ster.

Back