• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Performance Estimate FX8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thank you very much guys, i heard about the single threading vs multithreading processes being the main discernible factor. Feel im walking of out this thread substantially more informed lol.
Rgone im looking at a myriad of things to do, im a PH.D student for bioanalytical chemistry so im always having to do data processing, rendering and running 4-7 different programs depending on what type of data crunching im doing. Also id like to thank you for answering the budget question, since thats the main constraint for me.
MB (is it ok or do suggest something better?)
http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-G45-GAMING.html#overview
Also i posted the tempereatures for the I5-44430 to ask if the degree of cooling i have can work in regards to running the 8350 on OC to around 4.7 (since this seems to be the standard 24/7 point), or would i need a water cooling unit?

running the 8350 on OC to around 4.7 (since this seems to be the standard 24/7 point), or would i need a water cooling unit? Unless you are uber fortunate on your cpu dice roll at purchse time, I expect the CM212 cooler you have now will do only to about 4.5Ghz with all the fans in the case. Just shooting as straight as I can Right now there seem a number of FX-8350s in some retail markets that might do the 4.7-ish on air, but I would not bet on it.
RGone...

Okay did I just misunderstand? I looked at the mobo you linked and it is Intel. So you are going Intel? Okay if you do but I thought you were still speaking to AMD FX processor.
RGone...Again.

Alright, i mean as long as its steady i cant complain.
The motherboard link was for an opinion if its wortwhile to keep (as this is my current mobo)
Im also looking into potentially building another system thats solely AMD based (figure id have money to drop on a R9 series card and maybeee some liquid cooling)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z87-express-motherboard-review,3582.html
Fast And Cheap? Five Sub-$160 Z87 Motherboards For Enthusiasts

They put 5 boards in the price range above, thru their paces and generally the MSI you have finished last. BUT by how much? NOT enough to sneeze at for sure. And NOT enough to go buy another Intel mobo to get a little faster for sure.

Now that I finally understand you are Intel already and just looking at the 4770K cpu for an upgrade...I would do the upgrade and see the results with the 4770K in your current mobo. Don't like it swap to a better Z87 mobo.

When you get ready to build an FX rig...give a shout but that Sabertooth mobo you had in your first post is nearly not surpassable in R2.0 to date. Works and works good. Need to cool the VRMs and need some surely large water cooling to push those 8 hungry cores to beyond 4.6Ghz stable.
RGone...ster.

Rgone im looking at a myriad of things to do, im a PH.D student for bioanalytical chemistry so im always having to do data processing, rendering and running 4-7 different programs depending on what type of data crunching im doing. Also id like to thank you for answering the budget question, since thats the main constraint for me

I just want to comment, on this quote, from what I know, most data cruching programs perform better on multiple cores. Therefore, you would probably benefit from using either an Intel I7 4770k or a Fx 8350. Which I own both, I can tell you the 4770k will probably not do more then 4.2-4.4 with a CM 212 unless you have some really good fans on it as well as good air flow through the case. I have mine in a really good case with 3 120mm fans and 2 140mm fans blowing through it. I tried using my CM 212 with dual 110 cfm fans on it at 100% and the temps were too high to run past 4.3. With my Prolimatech Megahalems and the dual 110 cfm fans set on auto, I'm able to do 4.5 24/7.

A Fx 8350 if it is a low leakage one may do 4.5-4.7 on an Cm 212. I was able to do 4.6 stable with my Prolimatech on it as well but it was close to max temps and I wouldn't be comfortable running it there 24/7. For my 24/7 overclocks at 4.7 I have a really good watercooling setup and most of us that run high clocks on these chips run big water because they run hot when all 8 cores are overclocked.

When it comes down to the two different rigs cooling is going to be a chief concern, especially if overclocking. You may also need to take into account how much more power the Fx's draw compared to the Intels when pushed hard.

Bottom line is, you will get a lot of people blindly telling you go Intel and in most cases an Intel Cpu will outperform the AMD's in benchmarks. In day to day usage there are instances where I feel my Fx 8350 is faster then my 4770k maybe it just me?! If one is using the Fx in multi threaded tasks they are pretty hard to beat.

This is my rig atm, the airflow seems pretty solid except for the fact i couldnt take off the stock rear fan because one of the screws stripped ._. . I also posted on the cooling forums whether getting a small cooling system for the CPU/VRM/GPU w/ a small reservoir placed in the empty bay is (where all the wiring is centered) is possible/beneficial.

Attachments

• pc setup.png
    pc setup.png
    450.6 KB · Views: 30
Back