• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Petition: Continue support Zen3 CPUs for older AM4 motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very true, definitely going to be an 'if Mobo manufacturer updates and adds to supported list, etc'

Yes, and in doing this AMD shifted the onus onto the motherboard manufacturers.

Last edited:
I won't complain if it happens. Will be interested to see if they all do and if all boards will or only top of the line boards. I think it could get even more messy.

Having just moved from 2nd to 3rd gen on x470, I can see where the problems come. I had to flash to a transitional bios that offered support for both CPUs, but used the launch AGESA code (and all of the problems that came with that) because after that it was not recommended to use the newer BIOS with older CPUs. The Asrock website had an extra pop-up warning when you tried to download the newest BIOS, in case you didn't read the other warning in red. So after flashing once and booting the 3700x, I had to go grab another bios and flash a second time to get the AGESA code that actually works properly. I'm not sure if that was fully necessary, maybe the newest BIOS would have supported the 2nd gen part well enough to flash the BIOS, but it wasn't clear so I weighed the risk of extra flashes against the risk of a failed flash.

I could easily imagine a situation of 3 BIOS flashes with 3 generations to get from 2nd to 4th, so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

I assume that if a lot of motherboards will be on the stock then someone will be forced to flash them and put a "10th gen Ryzen compatible" sticker on the box ;) This is how most 400 mobos were prepared for Ryzen 3k.

There are a lot of people complaining that Intel is changing sockets too often. On the other hand, AMD is using the same socket but there are problems every time a new CPU is released and often it ends on the purchase of a new motherboard anyway. It's anything from device compatibility to the too weak power section. I'm not sure which way is better and which one affects manufacturer profits and losses more, because of the amount of RMA. Motherboard manufacturers are not forced to add compatibility to older products. It's only their good will ... and the fact it would make mad users so also their potential clients in the future.

From a guy that may actually upgrade this year from my 4770k, I will almost certainly be getting an X570 motherboard or whatever releases at the new Ryzen3 3 CPUs (after giving some time for bugs and such to work out).

I know it's a long wait but, why not just wait till 2022 for the Z490(AMD) or Z390(Intel) releases? 2022 will be the dawn of DDR5 and with that will be all new chipsets. If you waited you could skip DDR4 altogether.

With that said DDR5 will take some time to mature. From what I have read the early prototypes have high latencies and mediocre frequencies but they still have two years to improve on that.

Just food for thought.

I feel like last summer with Zen2/Ryzen 3xxx was the sweet spot to upgrade. Mature architecture and refined DDR4.

As far as component capability I would agree but as someone who made that upgrade, it was far from smooth. You had to be very careful which ram kit you bought and many motherboards were claiming compatibility but the little writting later determined you would need an older gen CPU installed prior to a BIOS update to run the newer 3xxx chip.

In the end it turned out to be a great upgrade, but also one of the more frustrating.

I know it's a long wait but, why not just wait till 2022 for the Z490(AMD) or Z390(Intel) releases? 2022 will be the dawn of DDR5 and with that will be all new chipsets. If you waited you could skip DDR4 altogether.

With that said DDR5 will take some time to mature. From what I have read the early prototypes have high latencies and mediocre frequencies but they still have two years to improve on that.

Just food for thought.
My main thought is that this one hopefully will be mature with less issues, ddr4 will be cheap per GB versus what DDR5 will launch with. I am still unsure how much of a difference RAM frequency and such truly matter day to day.

Assuming the cost/performance ratio is solid with this launch and I get whatever the 3900X equivalent is (or maybe the 3700X equiv) it should last for a hell of a long time. With occasional GPU upgrades to be done as needed. My kids are getting older so I may actually have time to game some more.

They already said you are good to use zen3 on older boards if the motherboard vendor wants to support them.

Dear bmwbaxter

AMD is still saying about some (it means not all) B450 / X470 boards only.

EGN, AMD doesn't determine which boards will and which boards will not be updated. That is almost entirely up to the manufacturers. AMD does not rewrite the BIOS code for the boards the manufacturers do. Your petitioning to AMD has already worked. You should move your focus onto the individual manufacturers now.

The next petition can be i9 support on B150 motherboards. Sorry but as far as the petition, in general, has some point then additional comments sound ridiculous to me (at least knowing how the market works). It's not like you can suddenly change the hardware specification of 2-3-year-old products. As long as the motherboard's manufacturer decides to support the "old" product then it will be a new BIOS. Most manufacturers won't do that as there are too many new products which need their time and money. Even if there will be a new BIOS for old motherboards then it doesn't mean it will be stable and fully functional. I just feel that some people don't understand the basics.

Now think that you finish fighting and they add support for a "new" CPU ... and its refresh will be in about half year... and it won't be supported because of more cores, cache, or modified memory controller. Hardware is changing way too often to fight for things like processor support on old motherboards.
I won't even start with the next generation which is already on the way. Even if anyone notices this petition then it will change something for ... half year?
I don't get what was the main reason for creating this petition ... someone who is counting on an upgrade that will save $100 in couple of months?

Last edited:
Back