• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom 970 heat issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skidmaark

Hey all,

I want to start out by first saying the following rig has been my first attempt at ever building my own PC. I personally think I did a decent job, but feel I may have dropped the ball with the case. I tried my best researching everything for a "gaming" budget build and as a result turned out with the hardware listed below. With that said, here's my issue:

I purchased the AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE as well as a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO w/ AS 5 paste.

Case setup is 1 Rear (Exhaust) 120MM Fan 1300RPM, 50.0CFM
1 Top exhaust fan -- 120MM, 1200RPM, 44.73CFM
1 Bottom intake fan -- 120MM, 1200RPM, 44.73CFM
1 Front intake fan - 120MM, 1200RPM, 44.73CFM

Until my new video card comes in, i'm using an older 8600GTS
Temperatures are reading 30C on both HD's and 44C on the GPU.

Each remount included properly cleaning the surfaces w/ rubbing alcohol

First boot, temp was around 30C, after some use heated up to 36C
At this point I didn't attempt a load test, so decided to overclock --
Temperature now ranged idling at 40C and under load grew past 55C fast.

Went back to stock clock and again, after use temperate stayed put around 40C idle

Figured it was thermal paste -- remounted and **turned the cooler 90 degrees so it was inline with the CPU vs the pipes being lower then the CPU

This time around things were looking better, temperature idled high 20's, after some use around 32C. At this point, attempted a load test and temperature went straight up again. By the time I stopped the test, temperature peaked around 69C

**Switched thermal paste at this point to the stuff that came with the cooler to rule out bad AS 5.

** Also set up additional fan on cooler to create -push-pull leading airflow right outside of the case

Third remount was the worst (attempted to spread out paste before mounting cooler)
Idled around 40, shot up fast under load...

Tried one final time with the same results as the first two attempts.

At this point I was getting ready to return the cooler and purchase something else thinking that was the issue. I remember I had a stock cooler laying around from my old PC so plopped that on and the results as followed:

1st attempt, idled around 30C, under load it grew fast to 50 and then slowly crept up until 58 when I stopped the test

2nd attempt, idled around 35C, under load it went up to 58C and crept up to around 63 where it would stabilize between 61-62.

Now, still very hot from what I've read and understand however it didn't get as nearly as hot as the cooler master 212.

I have updated my bios, besides the one attempt my thermal paste has been applied as a small blob, and all readings have been from CPU-Z, Coretemp and HWMonitor. I'm completely stomped as to what the issue is, but I fear it's something case related.

Here is my hardware --

Case: Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition
Link for case

PSU - Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750
Link for PSU

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
Link to Motherboard

Memory - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
Link to Memory

Last edited:
Is the rear fan exhausting? You don't say. It should be.

With exposed heat pipe coolers like the one you are using, the TIM application can be the problem. Try this: Clean the heatsink bottom and the CPU top with paper coffee filters. They have a hard sheen to them an don't leave insulating fibers behind. Start with dry and finish up with one moistened with rubbing alcohol. Then turn the cooler bottoms up and lay two very thin lines (like <2mm wide) of AS5 from side to side perpendicular to the pipes, diving the area into three equal parts. The ridges of the pipes often prevent the paste from spreading properly when the "blob in the center" method is used. Then lower it carefully onto the CPU and tighten it down evenly, turning the fasteners a little at a time in an X pattern to ensure even pressure.

There is a tendency for new system builders to use too much TIM.

Thank you sir, I updated my original post to reflect that the rear fan is indeed exhaust. Right now I have the stock back plate on, I will attempt the method you suggest tomorrow or the next day. However, does the temperature seem right for the stock cooler?

At around 70c 21c ambient temp, idle core temperatures ought to be below 30c with a good aftermarket cooler like that. But note I am talking about core temps, not CPU (socket) temps. Which temps were you referring to anyway? If you will install a freeware program called "HWMOnitor" it will give you both. The goal in overclocking is to keep core temp no higher than about 55c under full load and CPU temps no higher than about 65c under load.

Do you have Cool N Quiet and C1E still enabled in bios? Disable them if so. Go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. That should disable all the green stuff that hinders overclocking. Then check your CPU core voltage setting in bios. High CPU core voltages can cause high temps and "Auto" is not always to be trusted to get it right.

Beddy bye time.

Last edited:
Trents, I appreciate your reply. As I stated in my OP, I have HWMonitor installed and the such... Maybe I should have attached screen shots for better understanding, that was my mistake. Everything is disabled in bios, and the temperatures you see will see in these screen shots are from the stock AMD cooler, as the 212 EVO under load heated up much higher and faster. I don't think these temperatures appear to be right for stock clock. Especially higher with the EVO. I remounted both coolers a few times, and feel I appropriately placed down the thermal paste. (Removing it properly EACH time.) So my question and frustration revolves around what am I doing wrong, and what else should I be doing. I listed my rig in my OP to show what the case and fans I have in hopes that may play a part in diagnosing the heat issue. So thanks again for your help!

(The first attachment is Idle, the second is during a Prime95 Torture test approx 5 minutes in)

Attachments

• Idle.PNG
    Idle.PNG
    100.6 KB · Views: 75
  • UnderLoad.PNG
    UnderLoad.PNG
    100.6 KB · Views: 74
Your bios settings as reflected in CPU-z all look appropriate and would not suggest high temps like you are getting.

Two questions:
1. What is the temperature of the room where the computer is being used? Its the ambient temp excessively high?
2. Is the computer located in a confined environment such as under a small desk/workstation or inside a cabinet or entertainment center where it does not have access to freely circulating air?

Your bios settings as reflected in CPU-z all look appropriate and would not suggest high temps like you are getting.

Two questions:
1. What is the temperature of the room where the computer is being used? Its the ambient temp excessively high?
2. Is the computer located in a confined environment such as under a small desk/workstation or inside a cabinet or entertainment center where it does not have access to freely circulating air?

I would say the temperature in the room when the screen shot was taken was around mid 60s F. On hotter days the ac is on providing similar cooling in the 60s F.

As for location, it is currently in a "cabinate" style cubby underneath the desk. However the back and front are both wide open allowing air to flow freely in and out. Further more I have thought the same thing about it being a confined space and tested it outside of the desk as well allowing air from all angles with the exact same results.

I have no clue, then. My only suggestion is to try CoreTemp or some other temp monitoring program in case HWMonitor is giving false reports. Sorry I couldn't help you.

The case you're using doesn't seem like it has the best cable management. Have you gotten most of the cables hidden away at least partly to allow the airflow all throughout your case?

The case you're using doesn't seem like it has the best cable management. Have you gotten most of the cables hidden away at least partly to allow the airflow all throughout your case?

Its definitely not only cable management.....,
Seems to have plenty of case fans running. Just make sure all the case fans are working properly and i suspect it has something to do with thermal paste and/or CPU cooler installation. Dont get me wrong, its very easy to trap bubbles on these Hyper 212 +/Evo coolers. and Never try to spread TIM while applying.
I found, the best way to apply TIM on these 212+/Evo is to apply small line along the heat pipes and put it over the CPU and let the pressure spread it.
And remember too much is as bad as too little or none.

and while reapplying..... cleaning is very crucial. use rubbing alcohol and paper coffee filters and let them dry for a while before reapplying. cleaning especially on cooler is tricky.

PS: Thermal Paste that comes with 212+/Evo are preety good, may not be as good as AS5 but is working great for me.

Good Luck.

Back