• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phenom 9850 2.5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zambizi

my cpu tends to run hot at full load.50c

what things make the cup run hotter?
correct me if im wrong, but the cpu freq. and the fsb are all in the cpu....so increasing those voltages will make my cpu hotter?

i know theres a north bridge and ht link speed in there.

i guess my question, tinkering with what things will make my cpu run hotter?

CPU Speed, CPU Voltage, CPU/NB voltage all make a cpu run hotter.

You really do not supply enough of the information we use to judge a temperature since you do not say you are using CPUID Hardware monitor which is what we use to judge temperatures. But generally 50C core temps are n0t too high.

well i use cpuz and core temp for my readings and ram timings and stuff.
i changed my multiplier from 12.5 to 13. so thers no reason to increase my cpu voltage on that.
i set my bus speed from 200 to 220 and i did bump the voltage up about 120mv

http://i48.tinypic.com/501qfo.png

my cpuz screen shot. Picture pretty small.

what two things will increase my cpu temp after i increase my voltage

Am not sure that question makes much sense. When you raised the cpu voltage the temps could rise and often do. When you run the cpu faster, the temps generally rise some. When you increase CPU/NB speed or voltage the temps can rise. You could raise memory speed and the cpu temps could rise. Just almost anything cpu related; you mess with, could raise cpu temps.

according to, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbridge_(computing)

the north bridge chip is in a totally different place on the mobo then the cpu. so turning up the speen/volts wouldnt make the chip(cpu) on the other side of the board heat up as much right?

its knida ah noob question...

so does that mean the multiplier and the bus speed happen in the cpu?

are you referring to the cpu/nb being in one physical component?

A little history here. Back before the Athlon 64 days both the PCI-e controller and the memory controller resided in a chip on the motherboard called the North Bridge. Beginning with the Athlon 64, AMD (and Intel soon followed) moved the memory controller function from the motherboard NB to the CPU die and it became known as the CPUNB but some bioses and some Windows reporting software (like CPU-z) still refer to the CPUNB as just "NB". So now there are two North Bridges. When overclocking in those bioses that still use the term NB to refer to both the memory controller and the motherboard PCI-e controller you need to be careful about which one you are messing with. The motherboard one should generally be left alone.

Back