• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phenom II 555 idle temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

Just wondering what others idle temps were with this processor.

Just installed in a new pc and temp seems rather high. In fact even my GPU is higher.

Brand new on stock HSF with AS5 is 45*. I have taken it off and reapplied paste to be sure. Ive done a few comps with this so im not knew to applying compound. Just curious as to why such a high idle temp.

Even my GPU jumped 6* just from changing MOBO and processor.

Just wondering what others idle temps were with this processor.

Just installed in a new pc and temp seems rather high. In fact even my GPU is higher.

Brand new on stock HSF with AS5 is 45*. I have taken it off and reapplied paste to be sure. Ive done a few comps with this so im not knew to applying compound. Just curious as to why such a high idle temp.

Even my GPU jumped 6* just from changing MOBO and processor.

I would think that is a tad high for idle temps but not too sure since i don't own a 555. My 955 is idling at 32 right now so 45 seems high, but then again they are totally different chips so i don't know.

Is the 45 at stock speeds or any overclocking going on? What is your load temp at? You can always take the heatsink off, clean the cpu with some rubbing alcohol and re-seat the heatsink and see if that helps. What method are you appling the thermal paste?

Also the GPU running hotter may be due to the hotter CPU temps. If the case has poor air flow and the hot air is getting trapped in the case it can cause the GPU temps to go up.

I only ran prime95 for about 15 min but it hit 51-52. No overclocking at all, just freshly installed and installed speedfan. Already did that process when removing the compound it came with.

but a small tab of AS5, and spred it around the top of the CPU with a toothpick. Thin layer but fully covered.

Same case and fans and GPU as my old Athlon X2 5200+, it idled around 25*.

Edit: Im hitting over 60* under load.

Last edited:
really disappointed..maybe I should look into aftermarket then. It fully unlocks to a quad just as stable..:/

hmm..good link though. The detailed thread on the phenoms said never to go above 55*..ever..

really disappointed..maybe I should look into aftermarket then. It fully unlocks to a quad just as stable..:/

hmm..good link though. The detailed thread on the phenoms said never to go above 55*..ever..

Well max is 62C with the Phenom II X4 and guide pretty much says not to overclock where load temps are higher then 55 if you want to keep it stable. So if you unlocked the other two cores and load temp is at 52C then I'm guessing your doing good.

Do you have a case ventilation problem? Maybe that is why both the CPU and The GPU are running a little hot.

First off, what "temp" are you talking about? If it's the core temp then there may be a problem somewhere. If it's the "CPU temp" then ignore it and let us know what the idle and, more importantly, load core temps are. You might try using a neat little program called CoreTemp - the only thing it reads is the core, not the "CPU".

Second, what heatsink did you use on your 5200+ and have you tried it on the 555? The heatsink clips for AM2 and AM3 are exactly the same so there's no compatibility issue.

Also (just checking here) do you have something set up to control the heatsink fan speed? You would be surprised how many people think they have a problem with their temps but have the fan speed set to "idle down" when the CPU is under a certain temperature ...

im going off by the Temp1 Tempt on speedfan which is configured to the CPU. Also the only temp besides GPU which changes based on Load and Idle.

It seems to have got a little cooler, it will idle around 37 now but hit 62 under load within a few minutes. When it goes up, GPU goes up, so I'm guessing the CPU running this hot is causing GPU to be hotter also.

I dont know the CoreTemp because I have the two other cores unlocked, it will always report 0.

the 5200+ was on stock heatsink also. I never OCed it because it only hit 3.0 before being unstable.

I dont have any direct fan control, but I have it set up in bios to come on full speed at lowest temp (51).

Its the same case and cooling setup as my previous comp, never had a case vent problem.

downloaded Ntune to set up the GPU Fan Better. Didn't know about this program. So I can keep it idle around 50 and load will hit around 69 but will go to about 76 when CPU under load.

I like idle a little better at 38 but still seems like it climbs really high really fast. Hmm. (temps are no different with just 2 cores and not 4).

Last edited:
I dont know the CoreTemp because I have the two other cores unlocked, it will always report 0.
Hmm. (temps are no different with just 2 cores and not 4).
Didn't realize you were running unlocked all the time.

OK, drop back to two cores, run Prime95 or OCCT for 10-15 minutes then, without stopping the program, check Temp1 on speedfan and also check the core temp with either OCCT or CoreTemp if you're running Prime95. What we're looking for is how much difference there is between the two readings.
the 5200+ was on stock heatsink also.
The 5200+ came with different stock coolers. Did you get the aluminum block sink, the two heatpipe sink, or the four heatpipe sink?
I dont have any direct fan control, but I have it set up in bios to come on full speed at lowest temp (51).
You should turn off the fan controller for all these tests and any overclocking you may want to do. You should be looking for maximum performance from all your hardware right now. If you want to turn it back on after you're done checking everything out then that's fine. For now it should be off.
Its the same case and cooling setup as my previous comp, never had a case vent problem.
When it goes up, GPU goes up, so I'm guessing the CPU running this hot is causing GPU to be hotter also.
If your GPU temps are increasing when the CPU is under load for any length of time then you've got some kind of case airflow issue. There's no other way the CPU temp can effect the GPU temp unless some of the CPU heatsink exhaust is getting trapped in the case (increasing the internal case temp) or some of the exhaust is flowing into your GPU cooler. In a case with good airflow all the CPU exhaust should be exiting the case relatively quickly, not recirculating or back-flowing into another air-stream ...

Good point. Both Stock HSF were just aluminum blocks. Dont believe there was an option to turn off the fan control. For the options (fan comes on at a certain voltage or temp) you can only choose between temps or voltages. no AUTO or enabled/disabled option for the fan here. Just the Cool n quiet option.

Yeah..Im sure I have a little hot air that stays in the case. I have no side fan option, just back fans (2 120mm). Ill disable the 2 and see what the core temp says with CoreTemp. If there is a discrepnecy, what should that mean?

Ill also take the side of the case off, see if that dont help with GPU temp.

As of right now:

Idles: 37-38*
Load: 61-62*

Hits load temp in about 1 minute.

Appreciate all the help. Would get a aftermarket HSF, however, not sure how much a cheap one (20-30) would improve over stock for OC with these temps on stock already. I really would only overlock for real-world performance gains, so right now just trying to keep a cooler PC :)

Ill disable the 2 and see what the core temp says with CoreTemp. If there is a discrepnecy, what should that mean?
It means nothing that they're diffrent - most boards will have different readings - but the CPUs are still the same from board to board (more or less). That's why we like the core temp instead of the CPU temp, because the core temp is more predictable. Since unlocked cores also means no core temp this is one way to get there. By comparing the temps you can correct the load "CPU" temp to get to ± the core temp. For example, if your load CPU temp is 60°C but your load core temp is only 54°C then you should subtract 6°C from your CPU temp to get the load temp. It's not perfect but it's better than just using the CPU temp from the board.

Yeah, try taking the side off - maybe even point a room fan at it - to see if that helps your temps. You see, if the GPU temp is going up then chances are the CPU is also recirculating/reusing it's own exhaust, which will drive it's temps up too. ;)

For an aftermarket cooler, well, let's see where the airflow test (taking the side of the case off) leads. It could be a beefier pair of exhaust fans could help. There are good cheap coolers out there - and I use one! :D It's the Sunbeam CCT 120 at $25 with MIR. But don't jump on it just yet, let's see what the problem is first ...

Yeah, will do when I get home. I figured the air circulation wasn't a huge problem because I had pretty good temps on the X2. Never felt very hot inside either, always cool to the touch. I do know that the HW monitor in bios was lower then speedfan..but ive always known bios monitor to usually be off (at least a long time ago..not sure on newer boards).

I have checked when I ordered then new parts from my dead one the HSF section here and at newegg..but there are so few for AM3 sockets, made it rather hard to decide if it was actually worth it for what I was doing. I know the 2 exhaust (actually only 1 is exhaust 1 is intake) always run at full speed. Think im better off make both exhaust?

Board is this one if it helps any:
ASUS M4A77D AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

What is your case? A fan that blows cool air into the case would be a good idea. Air flow is very important and I have two intake fans and two exhaust fans. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus is a cheap heatsink that works well. Unlocking to the quad is also going to generate more heat. I also run an unlocked quad with a minimal OC but an aftermarket cooler is essential.

using core temp

seedfan = 39-41* idle
coretemp = 29-32* idle

speedfan = 52-555* load
coretemp = 45-48* Load

about 5-8* difference from speedfan Temp1 I usually was using on load and about 10-13* difference on idle.

So basing it off that, maybe my 61* load temp on 4 cores is close to around 55*.

Guess the question then is..is 4 cores better then 2 OCed. Guess ill wait till a HSF pops up for sale. Hopefully find one for the 8800GTS..heard its stock fan is quite good though so...

Last edited:
not sure of the case, just a generic one. Only spot for fans though are two 120mm in the back.
If there are two fans, one on top of the other in back, they should both be on exhaust or both on intake. Are you sure there isn't a fan in front of the HDD rack? It would be odd to not have one there to keep the HDDs cool.

I have checked when I ordered then new parts from my dead one the HSF section here and at newegg..but there are so few for AM3 sockets
FYI - Any AM2/AM2+/AM3 cooler will fit all three - it's the same black surround and heatsink clips for all three sockets ... :)

yeah i sure, there isn't even any holes in the case besides the back. :)

good to know..ill look out thanks

Back