• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II 965 BE w/ 1600 corsair vengeance RAM -- computer restarts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jayjayjay123

quick question regarding

AMD phenom II x4 965 BE and 1600 ram.

I have a gigabyte 970a-ud3 mobo that can handle my corsair vengeance 4gb x2 1600 ram. However in the BIOS it was default set to 1333. Yesterday I changed it to 1600, and since then i've noticed my computer would restart itself spontaneously fairly frequently

i've googled why and it seems that the 965 BE can really only handle 1333 with good stability...

my timings are the recommended default for corsair vengeance blue 1600 ram -- 9-9-9-24

can I change those numbers to allow the RAM to run at 1600 and NOT cause computer restarts?

if I have to stay at 1333, what should I change the timings to to Optimize the ram as best as possible? also what if I was using 8gb of g.skill 1866 ram? what timings should I use for that ram to be running optimized at 1333 (or can I run it at 1600/1866 with modified timings?

thank you for your help!

Your original google search was correct. Many Phenom2 cpus can run DDR1600 and there are those that have issues. You seem to have issues when not at DDR1333.

Up the Voltage to the ram a little bit to see if it will run DDR1600. Up the CPU_NB voltage just a little also to see if that helps.

It would make NO sense to loosen timings to run DDR1600 ram. You could try the ram timings at 8, 8, 8, 24 @ DDR1333 and that would help performance at DDR1333 ram speed.
RGone...

Thank you for your response :)

When I set the ram to 1600, the computer would turn on and function fine. I do run multiple instances of diablo III at a time (4 of them) and the computer was still stable. When i wake up in the morning, however, the computer had reset itself.

The voltage is 1.5 and i'm not sure about the CPU_NB default voltage.. if i increase them both by the smallest increment possible do you think that could stabilize the ram?

Like RGone suggested, w/ the timings manually adjusted to the modules rated 9-9-9-24 (all sub-timings on Auto) or the DDR3-1600 XMP Profile #1 enabled, bump the DRAM voltage from the rated 1.50V to 1.55V. And if need be, also bump the CPU NB and/or NB voltage (default is 1.105V). After making the changes, boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive and check the RAM for stability.

I have the same mobo and CPU. Two members here in this thread have already suggested some options that should help. It's also pretty much what I have done and I'm running at 1600, 9-9-9-24 without any problems. YMMV, but take a look at my sig for what worked for me.

I've gotten a 945 C2 to suck it up all the way up to 1977MHz RAM, I feel like you should be able to get this stable with relative ease. :attn:

Its very possible the automatic timings are more to blame more so than the speed or voltage of the RAM. However, much like RG had stated, its always good to give a single micro "bump" to the NB and RAM just for testing sake. This will not endanger your equipment or shorten its lifespan (The NB of PIIs was designed to be connected to 1.8v RAM as well, after all.)

Really, your computer may hare rebooted due to a wake from sleep problem, an update, a power flicker, or something more absurd than that. DIII is a pretty good RAM flush, I feel like if you had crash-worthy stability issues you would have run into them sooner. Consider running some P95 and memtest as well

jjj123 said:
i've noticed my computer would restart itself spontaneously fairly frequently
and
When i wake up in the morning, however, the computer had reset itself.

But you also say >> When I set the ram to 1600, the computer would turn on and function fine. I do run multiple instances of diablo III at a time (4 of them) and the computer was still stable.

It seems when it was said you have an issue you don't think so, but yet you start a thread saying computer resets itself multiple times, but then you say it reset itself overnite once.

So what is the problem you have? For real?
RGone...

To get around the 1333 mem default with the Denab cpu, you can either notch down the timings a bit at stock FSB to get it to run at 1600, or if you set the FSB to 240 and run the XMP mode timings you should be ok on some motherboards with the mem @ 1600. If that is infact the problem you are running into, now.

Last edited:
I have the same processor. I remember there was a point in time when my pc was essentially unusable because for some inexplicable reason I kept getting these Kernel-Power Event ID 41 critical errors and my machine would randomly reboot. I was getting these reboots during a time when I was trying to overclock and so to deal with it I had to play with various voltage settings, etc. It turns out the problem I suspect was actually hardware and my motherboard was, a biostar board at the time, going out because when I finally replaced it the problem stopped completely.

However, before it came time to replace the board I did manage to stabilize my system and slow the rate of the reboots and make them stop for long periods of time. I don't know the full details of your setup, what overclocking your doing if any and you can play with the DRAM timings, but you may need to have a look around your motherboard's bios.

I remember two settings, for whatever reason, which really helped stabilize my system were ensuring Cool 'N Quiet was turned on [AMD cpus experience issues when this gets turned off] and enabling Enhanced Halt State (C1E) Support. The C1E lets the processor utilize various ACPI states for improved power consumption and when I turned this on it really helped decrease the frequency of the reboots.

Last edited:
Up the CPU_NB voltage just a little also to see if that helps.
RGone...
Originally Posted by redduc900
And if need be, also bump the CPU NB and/or NB voltage

I'm with these guys I have that processor different board. I'm running 2x8Gig of 1600 ram but I have upped my NB_CPU voltage to 1.25v.
What you read about the PII 965 is correct. It only "officially" supports 1333 and on the older chipsets it wouldn't run any faster. On this newer 970 chipset you really shouldn't have an issue.
If upping the voltage doesn't fix it. My next step would be to update the BIOS.

random side note.... I woke up to a similar thing once and after some light investigation I found I had just recently gotten windows updates that restarted automatically. not saying that's the deal here but maybe something to think about

little strange, my 965 runs with the ram at almost 1700 9-9-9-24, upping the cpu/nb voltage and the dram voltage and using a cpu/nb clocked- cpu speed x2 /3.15 worked like a charm.

little strange, my 965 runs with the ram at almost 1700 9-9-9-24, upping the cpu/nb voltage and the dram voltage and using a cpu/nb clocked- cpu speed x2 /3.15 worked like a charm.
upping the cpu/nb voltage and the dram voltage, this is always a scary statement when I hear it from you Caddi :)

some people wonderlust, some just dork around......
i have also found that to fast on the cpu/nb causes issues.

OP asked me for a few screenshots, so here they are:

And :welcome: to the forums.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    371.4 KB · Views: 403
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    337.7 KB · Views: 454
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    43 KB · Views: 322
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    34.7 KB · Views: 324
I tried the above settings that FlailBoy posted but under load (4 diablo 3's open), watching netflix, and reading a word document, I got a BSOD pretty quickly.

Could it be a power supply issue? I am using this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

Computer is:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 965 51 °C
Deneb 45nm Technology

RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 3104MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-970A-UD3 (Socket M2) 36 °C

Graphics
VX2450 SERIES (1920x1080@60Hz)
SyncMaster (1920x1080@60Hz)
AMD Radeon HD 7870 PowerColor Myst

Hard Drives
112GB Kingston KINGSTON SH103S3120G ATA Device (SSD) 30 °C
466GB Seagate ST500DM005 HD502HJ ATA Device (SATA) 31 °C

Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST c ATA Device

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

why not try upping the cpu/nb voltage a little and a tad more vcore as you are pretty close to 4.0 on the cpu clock and mine takes more vcore to run at 4.0

why not try upping the cpu/nb voltage a little and a tad more vcore as you are pretty close to 4.0 on the cpu clock and mine takes more vcore to run at 4.0

Ok I'll give it a try. Is the CPU/NB voltage the same as "CPU NB Vid Control" ?

Back