• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II x4 960T OC Woes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
oops! its 2x4gb so 8GB total

and yes that is the same motherboard. Okay, so I think I'll take your word for the NB and clock it at about 1.6 and run a few more tests

thanks a lot!

it's blowing through prime95 no problem. since I can drop the NB to better match the HTT does that in effect mean that I can also lower the voltage?
And I'm not exactly sure from Dolk's guide but will the processing in-turn get noticeably slower now that the NB is lowered?

*I may take into strong consideration in browsing for a more reliable mobo that is also easy on the pocket, any suggestions?

You can try lowering the NB voltage but I'm not sure if it's necessary or what effect it would have on stability.

Ram performance will take a hit when lowering the NB. But on that board you may not have a choice.

What country or part of the world are you in? Recommending parts for folks in different countries can be futile if their choices are different than what they are where the recommender is living.

I live in South Korea, the electronics market here is amazing but the most recommended store I went to, the guy I was buying it from told me that the motherboard was the cheapest and easy to overclock with.

I was told my main restriction is that Korea doesn't get hex core or 8 core CPU's without having a huge additional import cost

Asus and ASRock make some nice mid-range boards with the 970x chipset. They go for $85-$100 here in the US. Can you get the one in my Sig?

The 960T & mobo does make a difference, so does the power supply. I have a 890FX (125 watts TDP) and a 790GX (DDR2). I get Higher clocks out of the 790GX because it was made for overclocking a 140 watt BE. The Antec neo 550 is better than a Visiontek 1000. Because the NEO delivers more watts to mobo & CPU. The Visiontek will run more vid cards. IT is more suitable for stock clock i5 or i7, not good for OCing a 6 core thuban, barely has enough for a 960T OC to 4.0 Ghz. There is not much real world difference between 8 Gb 1066 DDR2 & 8Gb 1600 DDR3. 3.6Ghz is not bad and is within what I suspect a 95 watt mobo TDP. My MSI core controll on the 890 and HWpro on the 790 both say 3.9 Ghz and a 960T is 114 to 130 watts.

Back