• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom X4 955 BE Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is that Hyper 212 running with only 1 stock fan on one side of the fins? You could try adding another fan for a push/pull effect to dissipate heat more quickly from the Cpu.

Also a fan on the VRM area helps bring socket temps down, keeping that area of the motherboard cool tends to help 9 or 10 times.

I have 2 fans, one on each side. The fan closer to the front is blowing air to the back and the fan in the back in pushing it to the rear chassis fan, which is pushing the air out of the case.

80F that is only about 26C
use the grain of rice method to apply the paste, single drop betweens the size of a pea and a grain of rice should be enough, that is how i did it with my hyper 212 evo cooler
your temps should be near 40C under load maybe a little less at stock with proper air flow
can you post a picture of the inside of your computer including the side panel

From the looks of the screen shot temps, TMPIN2 is 128c or so. That is the VRMs typically and placing a fan on them may help you some more. Investigate heat around the left side of the cpu socket. Not sure exactly what board you have and if there's heat sinks, but I bet it's warm in that area.

OP's board has 8+2 powerphase components and the VRM is sinked. It should be up to this challenge.

I think the fans on THE COOLER are fighting each other, please find the arrows on the outer rings of the fans, they are hard to see, and be sure both fans on THE COOLER are blowing in the same direction.

in my exp not all fans have those arrows, but every one blows air towards the plastic piece that attaches the shroud to the middle of the fan that the wire run through

I can tell it is older version of Free HWMonitor because it is showing multiple core temps and not a single "Package" temp for the AMD core temps.

Even version 1.24 (the newest) will show multiple core temps. I guess it depends on the CPU. Here's mine and you can see it's version 1.24.

HWMonitor1.24Deneb.PNG

I'll be back once I take a picture but here are some pointers:

All fans are blowing in the same direction, I made sure of that, even followed the arrows on the fans.
Yes, there are heat sinks on the mother board to the left side of the processor.

I wish not to have to reset the heat sink again, but can that be the problem?

I wish not to have to reset the heat sink again, but can that be the problem?
Yes it could be, those temps are definitely warm for stock clocks with a 212 on it. Try doing this, take the side panel off and if you have a house fan point it towards the motherboard and re run prime with hwmonitor open, lets see if the temps improve. Additionally, where is the case located, is it in a desk cubby or something like that?

when you applied new paste and reinstalled the cooler you cleaned off the old stuff right?
rubbing alcohol and coffee filters do a good job, clean every nook and cranny
i assume you removed that sticker off the bottom like it said to right?
are you using the stock CM thermal paste or something else

Yes it could be, those temps are definitely warm for stock clocks with a 212 on it.

I agree. I have a similar setup as OP.

CPU: Phenom II X4 940 (Deneb)
Mobo: Asus M3A78-EM
CPU Cooler: Stock AMD (from 1090T)

The CPU has been OC'd from 3.0 GHz to 3.4 GHz with slight voltage increases in VCore, CPUNB, Chipset and RAM. Even after 8 hours of P95 the max core temps are 68C.

I know it's still too warm but I don't run P95 everyday. Normally, it sits at 36C - 39C.

when you applied new paste and reinstalled the cooler you cleaned off the old stuff right?
rubbing alcohol and coffee filters do a good job, clean every nook and cranny
i assume you removed that sticker off the bottom like it said to right?
are you using the stock CM thermal paste or something else

I did clean it all.

I'm using Arctic Silver V, hopefully enough to reset the heat sink. If not i still have the compound that came with the heat sink.

I'm not sure what else to do. I reset the heat sink again, followed a better way to spread the thermal compound. I verified that all fans are blowing in the same direction (towards the back of the case).

Attachments

• 1d.PNG
    1d.PNG
    44.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4787.JPG
    IMG_4787.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 49
Please try the suggestion of doing a stress test with the side panel off and check the temps. You have two case fans pushing and one case fan pulling. The one pulling may not be providing enough exhaust to overcome heat build up.

A stupid question.

From your pic above it seems the computer is sandwiched between 2 pillows. Hope that is not how it is when you open up HWMonitor, or do a P95 run.

You have two case fans pushing and one case fan pulling. The one pulling may not be providing enough exhaust to overcome heat build up.

Wouldn't the fan on the PSU at the top also be pulling? So, in effect, OP has 2 fans pulling, granted that the fan of a PSU may not be at full speed all the time. I've read somewhere that the air pressure in the case should preferably be negative. Wouldn't 2 pushing fans be too much, especially if the pushing fans are bringing in more air into the case than the pulling fans can exhaust?

Your stuff is showing oddly...

The concerning part is that your M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 will not or is not displaying the cpu core temps as expected as a "package" temp and as most any other motherboard does with Ver 1.24 of HWMonitor Free.

It makes one wonder if the temps are actually able to be displayed accurately.

Asus has normally used the same chipset I/O read-out chip as many other makers and we just are not seeing this problem with any other user. Issue being AMD cpu not having core temp displayed as a single package temp and not a software induced "look-like" multiple temp readings from an AMD cpu for the actual core; since there is only one temp outputted from the cpu.

I had been using an earlier Ver 1.21 of HWMonitor Free and went and downloaded and am using the Ver 1.24 of HWMonitor Free and it still has the AMD cpu Core temp shown as a single package temp which is what is actually the truth.

Image below of my system shown in Ver 1.24 of HWMonitor. You compare your hard drive temps and board temp to mine and yours are high. Like there is too much heat in the case of in your room where the case is located.
RGone...ster.

8350 V1.24 HWM.jpg

I'm using Arctic Silver V.

The Arctic Silver 5 requires approx 200 hours to set in. Try cleaning the heatsink of the 212. Then wash off the old paste from the heatpipe and the cpu. Then try reapplying the thermal paste and use the pea-sized method. The MX4 is a better alternative to the Arctic Silver 5.

Removed the side panel, no house fan ran Prime 95 for 20 mins, got a drop of 5C at max load.

Attachments

• 1e.PNG
    1e.PNG
    48.6 KB · Views: 41
Back