• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom X4 955 BE Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A stupid question.

From your pic above it seems the computer is sandwiched between 2 pillows. Hope that is not how it is when you open up HWMonitor, or do a P95 run.

Wouldn't the fan on the PSU at the top also be pulling? So, in effect, OP has 2 fans pulling, granted that the fan of a PSU may not be at full speed all the time. I've read somewhere that the air pressure in the case should preferably be negative. Wouldn't 2 pushing fans be too much, especially if the pushing fans are bringing in more air into the case than the pulling fans can exhaust?

Not sandwiched, that's where I put it to take the picture

Well a drop of 5c in temps is telling, you definitely do not have enough air flow through the case. A heatsink can only cool with what it is provided with, if the case ambient temps are high due to lack of airflow it makes it tougher to do it's job. If you really want to overclock that chip, airflow within the case needs to be addressed.

I have a few ideas on how to improve air flow, I'll be working on that during the week.

Now since the chip's max operating temp is from 55 - 62*C and I got it to 49*C at full load,

Would it be possible or even worth the time to test overclock speeds?

If you do a stability test just leave the side off the case so it can breathe.

If you continue to run it with the side panel off sure you can overclock it. You have about 6 c temp room on the cores before you may find some instability. What I would do is this, if you haven't already read Dolks Guide to overclocking the Phoenom. It is arguably the best guide to learn how to overclock these processors. I would then set the Cpu V manually at 1.325 then run Prime Blend 2 hours and make sure the temps stay below what we have said previously. If it passes prime and stays below, start bumping the multiplier .5 and run prime 20 minutes to establish tentative stability. Continue to do this until you either hit max temps again or fail prime ie BSOD, Freeze or lose a worker. Then drop the multi back down .5 and run prime blend 2 hours again to establish stability.

If you continue to run it with the side panel off sure you can overclock it. You have about 6 c temp room on the cores before you may find some instability. What I would do is this, if you haven't already read Dolks Guide to overclocking the Phoenom. It is arguably the best guide to learn how to overclock these processors. I would then set the Cpu V manually at 1.325 then run Prime Blend 2 hours and make sure the temps stay below what we have said previously. If it passes prime and stays below, start bumping the multiplier .5 and run prime 20 minutes to establish tentative stability. Continue to do this until you either hit max temps again or fail prime ie BSOD, Freeze or lose a worker. Then drop the multi back down .5 and run prime blend 2 hours again to establish stability.

I'll try this. I read the guide and in AMD Overdrive its easy to "bump" the multiplier, my main concern was with the voltage that I didn't have an idea of how much to increase it.

I'll try the 1.325 and see what happens.

Put a stouter fan in the rear panel of the case to exhaust more air. The one you have just doesn't move enough air. You would need to be willing to put up with a little fan noise to employ one that will make a difference. My suggestion would be to go with one that has fluid dynamic bearings. They last forever. This one looks interesting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129055

It's too bad your case has a top mounted PSU which eliminates the possibility of top panel fans.

is there space to cut a hole in the side panel for another intake, you may be able to get a 120mm fan in the top exhaust between the PSU and DVD drive to pull fresh air from down below
since this looks like a old case i am guessing you don't have room for a 25mm thick fan
so i will leave these 2 links here
it would be cheaper to just get a better case
if you do have room for some 120x25mm fans this one will work good and it comes with a grill to cover of the hole you just made in the case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200021
it is a bit noisy, but it definitely works good

Last edited:
Please advice,

Some of the ideas I have to improve air flow are:

1) Verify if I have space for a fan on the top of the case between PSU and DVD drive, if I have enough space I'll add a fan.
2) Replace side window plastic with a mesh fabric to improve air flow and maintain dirt out.

you may be able to get a fan in the bottom of the case since you have a window, you most definably want a dust filter if you do that

I am not going back to read this whole thread. If you had a signature with the information in it like shown in my signature...would not be a pain to see what is what at your end.

I think I read that someone said you had an "older" type case. So old that the stock fans are only 80mm? If so you need a new case. Working on a too old case will just be a loud pain since a good 80mm fan that pushes air will be far louder than a good pushing 120mm fan.
Bobert...

jnb22019,

As RGone suggested, please create a "Sig" with all the relevant hardware info we have asked about. The Sig appears at the bottom of every post you make automatically and gives a quick read to those helping you. Since you now have a gold star under your user name you now have access to the Sig feature. Just go to the top of the page and click on Quick Links and then Edit Signature.

I am not going back to read this whole thread. If you had a signature with the information in it like shown in my signature...would not be a pain to see what is what at your end.

I think I read that someone said you had an "older" type case. So old that the stock fans are only 80mm? If so you need a new case. Working on a too old case will just be a loud pain since a good 80mm fan that pushes air will be far louder than a good pushing 120mm fan.
Bobert...

I added the sig.

I have 4 120mm fans, one in the front of the case (intake), two with the cooler and one in the back of the case (exhaust).

All 4 fans are blowing in the same direction, blowing air to the back of the case and out.

Having two fans in the front of the case as opposed to one is not as good as it sounds since with only one in the rear of the case there is back pressure, i.e. a bottleneck.

Having two fans in the front of the case as opposed to one is not as good as it sounds since with only one in the rear of the case there is back pressure, i.e. a bottleneck.
what if the 2 front fans are filtered? air will go through the vented PCI slots

Image below tells it about like it looks to me.
RGone...

View attachment 135813

That seems more right than right. I'll see if I can install a fan there.

For the moment I removed the plastic window from the side panel and placed a fiberglass mesh screen. That way air can flow in and not as much dirt will go in as if I left the side panel off.

Need advice:

My bios has the option of overclocking to 965 standards automatically. I set the overclocking to 965 and ran Prime95 for 20 minutes.

Results below.

Attachments

• 1g.PNG
    1g.PNG
    44.1 KB · Views: 32
  • a.PNG
    a.PNG
    26.5 KB · Views: 33
Back