• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom X4 955 BE Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
temps still looks way too high for 3.4GHz, temps look more like 4GHz
but with that much vcore i would expect 3.8 or 3.9GHz
OC manually, never trust 'auto'
leave you vcore where it is and up the clock still you find the max stable clock
here are my temps (similar system, prime ran for 20-25min)
hyper 212 evo on a phemon II 965
the evo version is only about 1 or 2 C better under load than the plus version
my vcore is set a 1.5125 in my bios (clock speed is 4.2GHz)
the pull fan on my cooler is unplugged, so it only has the stock fan
Code:
atk0110-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
Vcore Voltage:        +1.45 V
 +3.3 Voltage:        +3.43 V 
 +5 Voltage:          +5.08 V
 +12 Voltage:        +12.52 V 
CPU FAN Speed:       1717 RPM 
CHASSIS FAN Speed:    931 RPM 
CHASSIS FAN 2 Speed: 675000 RPM  (RPMs are too low to register right)
CPU Temperature:      +57.0°C
MB Temperature:       +30.0°C 

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +55.1°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                       (crit = +90.0°C, hyst = +88.0°C)

Last edited:
Need advice:

My bios has the option of overclocking to 965 standards automatically. I set the overclocking to 965 and ran Prime95 for 20 minutes.

Results below.
Id like to see the Spd and Memory tabs I bet it also down clocked your Ram which will also hurt performance. Your best bet is to learn to do it the right way, starting by reading and understanding the guide I linked to you several posts ago. If you learn how to do it properly, you will be much better off learning and tuning the Pc for optimal performance, then using a built in overclocking tool.

Need advice:

My bios has the option of overclocking to 965 standards automatically. I set the overclocking to 965 and ran Prime95 for 20 minutes.

Results below.

It was not long after I came back into this forum regular about 2.5 years ago and they were strongly suggesting 55c as a core/package temp that once exceeded there was a tendency for Deneb processors to go unstable. Not that all would but more often than not. So I would keep that in mind for sure; because yours has maxed at 58c at some point in your testing.

There is one thing for sure and that is you have a heat issue. 3.45Ghz and only 1.3X Vcore and the core/package temps go that high...sure sign of some problem.
RGone...

was looking at OP sensors, that +3.3v reading looks a bit low to say the least
if that sensor is correct that could be a issue

was looking at OP sensors, that +3.3v reading looks a bit low to say the least
if that sensor is correct that could be a issue

Never seen an Asus board give such off volts or temps in some respects, but he is having a temp issue and if the +3.3V were actually off he would be having ram and video issues and he is not. So the +3.3V is likely spurious and not accurate.
RGone...ster.

It was not long after I came back into this forum regular about 2.5 years ago and they were strongly suggesting 55c as a core/package temp that once exceeded there was a tendency for Deneb processors to go unstable. Not that all would but more often than not. So I would keep that in mind for sure; because yours has maxed at 58c at some point in your testing.

There is one thing for sure and that is you have a heat issue. 3.45Ghz and only 1.3X Vcore and the core/package temps go that high...sure sign of some problem.
RGone...

At one point it did get to 58*C but ran most of the time at 54*C including at the end of the test.

I'll stop tests until I feel happy about the heat issues. I've been looking into placing the front fan in the drive bay since I have space available.

I've been thinking about drilling some holes on the top of the case and placing a fan but I'm not sure about that yet since that would mean taking everything out, mobo included.

I'll replace the back fan with something better, place a fan in the drive bay and see what happens.

It helped a lot to remove the side window and place a screen there but if everything else works out I'll place back the window, even though the screen will stop most of the dirt I'm afraid of what can get in there.

Never seen an Asus board give such off volts or temps in some respects, but he is having a temp issue and if the +3.3V were actually off he would be having ram and video issues and he is not. So the +3.3V is likely spurious and not accurate.
RGone...ster.

I haven't noticed any ram nor video problems, everything has been running smoothly.

Like you said, probably the reading isn't accurate.

Quick update,

Used the bay drive free space for an intake fan, 120mm fan and better organized the cables.

The changes lowered idle temps but no effect on a 20 min Prime95 test, max temp of 49*C (stock voltage and speeds).

What I noticed, although it may be my imagination, is that the processor will cool much faster now after I stop testing.

To further test I offset CPU voltage by +0.0375 and ran Prime 95 for 1hr 10 mins (all the time I had at the moment). Max temp went up to 55-56*C but most of the time stayed at 54*C. After this I increased speed to 3.4Gz and ran Prime95 again for 20 minutes, temps stayed at the same max of 55-56*C.

Once I get back home I'll post the screen capture from HW Monitor.

This is still a work in progress, I am further modding the case for better air flow.

jnb22019, a work in progress is not a problem. In fact it is a good deal. You are laboring at your end, making changes to get you some relief. Heck that is a good thing. Shows you want to get somewhere. So work on for progress and good luck man.
RGone...

Back